follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-20-2014, 03:02 PM   #29
Diode Dynamics

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,761 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Try to find a clean 240sx

Considerably cheaper than an FR-S/BRZ

Parts are easy to come by, maintenance is cheap and easy...etc

I'd save for a house first before buying a new car (just IMO)

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diode Dynamics For This Useful Post:
LXXXV1 (06-20-2014)
Old 06-20-2014, 03:05 PM   #30
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post

Considerably cheaper than an FR-S/BRZ

Parts are easy to come by, maintenance is cheap and easy...etc

Nick C.
Or even a nice, well maintained s2000 since OP prefers Honda.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
Diode Dynamics (06-20-2014), Marchy (06-20-2014), Nasty Sausage (07-06-2014)
Old 06-20-2014, 03:11 PM   #31
irocz0r

Drives: '88 E30 325i, 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Who told you that?

I think it's funny that you're spending money on parts for a car you don't have, that you really can't even afford in the first place. I think you need to step back and take a look at the big picture.
For the record, I can afford the car. My reason for mentioning my salary was in regards to cost of maintenance and repairs. Yes, the car is under warranty, and yes, hopefully I will be getting paid more in three years when the warranty expires, but for the time being, I am imagining things three years, post warranty expiration, down the road like getting oil leaks fixed, CELs checked out, and god forbid engine failure, on my current salary out of pocket.

And as for "who told me that", I've driven both cars. I've test driven three Civic Si's and four FR-S's. Granted, Civic Si is less fun to drive than the FR-S or even my Cobalt, it does have comparable straight line power to the FR-S, and has better clutch feel in my opinion. The clutch feel in the FR-S is worse (softer, less responsive) than both the Civic and my Cobalt.

All in all, the Civic is slightly less fun to drive than the FR-S, but is hardly dull. The FR-S wins in the cool category by a mile, but dependability is my number one concern.

So right now, I'm leaning towards canceling my order and getting a Civic.

But I'm still torn. Please convince me otherwise. When the FR-S was released, I thought "wow, it's like God made a car just for me". But reliability is a deal killer
irocz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:15 PM   #32
J_kennington

Drives: 2013 asphalt scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by irocz0r View Post
For the record, I can afford the car. My reason for mentioning my salary was in regards to cost of maintenance and repairs. Yes, the car is under warranty, and yes, hopefully I will be getting paid more in three years when the warranty expires, but for the time being, I am imagining things three years, post warranty expiration, down the road like getting oil leaks fixed, CELs checked out, and god forbid engine failure, on my current salary out of pocket.

And as for "who told me that", I've driven both cars. I've test driven three Civic Si's and four FR-S's. Granted, Civic Si is less fun to drive than the FR-S or even my Cobalt, it does have comparable straight line power to the FR-S, and has better clutch feel in my opinion. The clutch feel in the FR-S is worse (softer, less responsive) than both the Civic and my Cobalt.

All in all, the Civic is slightly less fun to drive than the FR-S, but is hardly dull. The FR-S wins in the cool category by a mile, but dependability is my number one concern.

So right now, I'm leaning towards canceling my order and getting a Civic.

But I'm still torn. Please convince me otherwise. When the FR-S was released, I thought "wow, it's like God made a car just for me". But reliability is a deal killer
Just call and cancel...if you can't understand the "problems" are few and specific cases, don't get it. I've had my frs for a year, going on 20k miles and not ONCE had a problem...none...zero. No tail lights, no idle tsb, no CEL, no fuel pump, nothing.

I heard you never even have to change the oil in need for speed games...
2005 Yamaha yz250f
J_kennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:27 PM   #33
irocz0r

Drives: '88 E30 325i, 2015 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annahra View Post
Keep in mind, if you don't mod your car and it blows up, you DO have a warranty. When my engine blew, the dealer put me in a loaner and they were set to replace it at no cost/hassle to me (other than driving a Forester for a few weeks *shiver*).
What year is your car and how many miles were on it when it blew? Do you know why it happened? I noticed you weren't even on the list of blown motors in the thread I linked, chalk up another one :p

Believe me guys, I don't want a ho-hum Civic, I want my baby. I just have got myself all worked up and need to be convinced to calm my nerves.
irocz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:32 PM   #34
driftguy

Drives: In between cars... 2018 Ninja 1000
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've not heard of anyone ever claiming Toyota or Subaru to be historically unreliable, in fact I've heard nothing but the opposite. If your concern is the long run (8+ years) you're really just looking in a crystal ball anyway, regadless of which car you go with. The twins are brand new, and like a few have stated already, just needed the bugs taken out. You're looking at the 3rd model year (2015) and still concerned with reliablity? Buy whichever one you like more, I think reliability is a moot point between Honda/Toyota/Subaru.
driftguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:40 PM   #35
SubieNubie

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
What year is your car and how many miles were on it when it blew? Do you know why it happened? I noticed you weren't even on the list of blown motors in the thread I linked, chalk up another one :p

Believe me guys, I don't want a ho-hum Civic, I want my baby. I just have got myself all worked up and need to be convinced to calm my nerves.
If thats what you want, buy it. You'll regret it if you don't. I have 0 regets from trading in my Si.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:55 PM   #36
Annahra

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

There's a thread around here somewhere specific to my car, and I've posted on most of the others. My car was one of the first production models, serial #00254, had 36K mi. and a previous minor front end collision, and it blew a head gasket. It was 100% stock. Subaru covered it completely and after doing some research I ended up trading it in for another BRZ. SOA gave me a free extended warranty on the new one when I told them I didn't want the potential hassle of a dealer-rebuilt engine. The important thing here is my engine actually DID blow and I still felt confident in buying another one.

However, in your case, this platform is too new to know how it will hold up after warranty. If you really must have a bulletproof car, go with something more tried and true imo.

Last edited by Annahra; 06-20-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Annahra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Annahra For This Useful Post:
Karigan (06-24-2014)
Old 06-20-2014, 04:24 PM   #37
billwot

Drives: '11 Cayman , '14 Camry, '11 Tacoma
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
You can buy a low mileage (< 12K) FRS in the high teens. IMO, kinda hard to justify $27K for a new one.

I bought a local used '13 with 9500 miles for $20,000. I'm sure I could have done a little better if I would have expanded my search to maybe 200 miles.

JMHO
billwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:43 PM   #38
LXXXV1

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram, Whiteout 6MT
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post

Nick C.

Diode Dynamics...you guys keep earning my respect, keep up the good work! Our youth needs to pay attention to the wallet breaking events coming around our 30's. I don't know many parents who are willing to pay for their daughters weddings anymore, that plus a down payment on a house, a car, and a engagement ring all usually happen around that age...I digress...

But I'd like to give the OP the benefit of the doubt here. Anyone at 40k with no college debt should easily be able to afford this car...especially when the guys 25 and has already saved up this much in cash. He knows how to save if he wanted.

Also, OP I'm in a very similar situation then you, although I make more, I'm 25 with $30k in school loans, and I live on my own. Don't let the pessismists shoot you down. You are in charge of your own money. I also came from the Honda game, coming from a 2001 Civic LX to a 2001 Honda Prelude SH, which was pushing 181k miles when she sold. I miss my Prelude, but I love the FR-S more. In terms of reliablity, there's no guarantee for any new car out there. The FR-S is only going in to it's 3rd year. The Civic has been around longer, but a each new generation will have it's own new issues. Both Toyota and Honda have a very reliable background so either way, I think you'll be in good hands. Although after reading some of your posts, you do seem to go pretty hard on your cars...

2007 Honda CBR600RR-Pearl White/Silver - Totaled
2014 Scion FR-S Monogram-Whiteout - #LXXXV1 (build)
φφκα
LXXXV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:57 PM   #39
MVJ1975
Automatic Hooligan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Garage
I've had my FR-S for two years. My car was built in the first month of production, so it's had all the little annoying issues; rear deck popping, condensation in both tail-lights, and it even threw a CEL at me.

It's never left me stranded. Yes, it was in limp mode when it had the CEL, but it got to the dealer under its own power and the dealer had me in a loaner Corolla almost immediately. The worst part about the whole experience was that I had to drive a Corolla for a few days.

The new cars; heck, most of those things are fixed.

You'll be fine.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:30 PM   #40
kinda5150

Drives: 2013 FRS firestorm
not sure if anyone posted it (yes i read them all but i'm adhd), but if you're that worried, just get the ext warranty. not sure how many yrs it is, but it's 100k miles. the standard powertrain warranty is good for 60k miles, so not sure what the concern is, at least not for anything major. good luck w/your decision.
kinda5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:43 PM   #41
Rocket.BRZ
Banned

Drives: 2010 WRX (sold) 2013 brz
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I would go ahead and write a long suggestion but one thing I wanted to point out is that even if some people had major problems with their car they are a low percentage of the people that buy this car. On a forum, one person with a problems seems bigger than it actually is.
Rocket.BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:59 PM   #42
Mooseknuckle44

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
I'm confused? Where do you keep looking for all this negative info on the twins? I haven't had any mechanical issues out of my car at all. I drive her somewhere between spirited and raped. Not everyday mind you, my DD is a 2000 Maxima. The ONLY problem l have is the chirps but that doesn't effect the cars performance or reliability at all. Hell now l've gotta try to find all this negative press l've read about in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 FRS-Asphalt-M6-Invidia N1, K&N drop in, plasti dipped emblems, debadged FRS, Spyder II tails, 5000K Bi-xenon HID's, red demon eyes, Quad halo's, switchbacks w/Tapturn mod,Grimmspeed hood struts, led everything exterior, H&R 25mmF/15mmR spacers, Sportlines, SPC LCA's..(FUN car)
Mooseknuckle44 is offline   Reply With Quote