follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 07-08-2014, 07:55 PM   #785
mike the snake

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I agree. The rpm limit is 15,000rpm, but because of the fuel restrictions they are only running to 10,000-11,000rpm.

I bet these cars would sound a LOT BETTER if they sang to 15,000rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfusionpm View Post
They could fix pretty much all their "problems" by removing the fuel flow limit.
mike the snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:02 AM   #786
alxtheoreo

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1404903737206.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  77.3 KB
Old 07-09-2014, 08:54 AM   #787
Silver Ignition
APEXHNTR

Drives: 10 Series FR-S #1867
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
those look HUGE

not sure how I feel about them...
#1867 of 2500

in the garage...2001 Toyota 4Runner [Solid Axle Rock Toy], 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT [Shitwagon], 2004 Honda Interceptor VFR800 [daily rider], 1978 Suzuki GS750 [Café Racer]
Silver Ignition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:33 AM   #788
alxtheoreo

Here's a thought: If they actually go to these size of wheels, would braking distances decrease due to more surface area & cooling? I know the suspension would need to be more compliant.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:37 AM   #789
mike the snake

I remember reading that they kept the 13'' wheel size to limit the brake size.

I would assume breaking might be improved if they switch to 18'' wheels if the rotors grow the same amount.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:35 PM   #790
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
No improvement in braking distance which is currently limited by the amount of grip the tire provides.

Larger surface area and better cooling will mean less fade and wear over a race so they can be more aggressive on the brakes, might be a leg up for the likes of Alonso and Hamilton who will have more leeway to dive into corners aggressively. Talking about preserving the brakes may be a thing of the past.

The biggest difference will be in the tires, they'll have to be much stiffer resulting in softer suspensions. The cars are going to move around a bit differently, the slow-mo comparisons will be fascinating.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:49 PM   #791
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
I would assume breaking might be improved if they switch to 18'' wheels if the rotors grow the same amount.
"braking"

I agree. The ONLY reason for larger wheels in motorsports is so that larger brakes can be fitted, otherwise most cars in most motorsports would run smaller wheels. So if they're just increasing the wheel size, just to do so, that would be really F'in stupid and it would give me another reason to replace my DVR space with Indy instead of F1.

I'd like to see the fuel flow restriction raised to 120kg/hr and the fuel cap eliminated.

As it stands my pros and cons of F1 are:

PROS:
  • Quieter engines: I like hearing the brake lockups, the crunching of Maldonados car and the roar of the crowd.
  • Somebody that isn't Vettel/RBR is winning.
  • Williams is on the podium!
  • The racing has been quite exciting. Hamilton battling Nico, Vettel battling Alonso etc etc.
CONS:
  • "Conserving fuel": The moment a commentator mentions that a driver is "conserving fuel" it makes want to change the channel. This is not endurance racing so conserving fuel is the antithesis of the function of this sport. If you're not running at the limit of the car, the tires the engine, then you're not racing, you're just turning laps until it's time to go racing.
  • Fuel restriction is the right move, but the degree of the restriction is not. Allow another 20kg of flow and let them make another 100-200hp and rev to 14-15k.
  • No engine development during the season. That is insanely stupid. It's a rule that actually reduces competition because the engine is so damn important that if one engine provider "gets it wrong" (or less right) then they simply suffer the whole season. That's really shitty for the fans. Right now, it's really shitty for Renault and Ferrari.
  • Downforce and tires. There's too much of one and not enough of the other. I want less downforce or less "importance of aero" and more tire. More mechanical grip.
  • Bernie Eccelstone. No explanation needed.
Bg8780 (07-09-2014), cfusionpm (07-09-2014), finch1750 (07-09-2014), strat61caster (07-09-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 01:05 PM   #792
alxtheoreo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
"braking"

I agree. The ONLY reason for larger wheels in motorsports is so that larger brakes can be fitted, otherwise most cars in most motorsports would run smaller wheels. So if they're just increasing the wheel size, just to do so, that would be really F'in stupid and it would give me another reason to replace my DVR space with Indy instead of F1.

I'd like to see the fuel flow restriction raised to 120kg/hr and the fuel cap eliminated.

As it stands my pros and cons of F1 are:

PROS:
  • Quieter engines: I like hearing the brake lockups, the crunching of Maldonados car and the roar of the crowd.
  • Somebody that isn't Vettel/RBR is winning.
  • Williams is on the podium!
  • The racing has been quite exciting. Hamilton battling Nico, Vettel battling Alonso etc etc.
CONS:
  • "Conserving fuel": The moment a commentator mentions that a driver is "conserving fuel" it makes want to change the channel. This is not endurance racing so conserving fuel is the antithesis of the function of this sport. If you're not running at the limit of the car, the tires the engine, then you're not racing, you're just turning laps until it's time to go racing.
  • Fuel restriction is the right move, but the degree of the restriction is not. Allow another 20kg of flow and let them make another 100-200hp and rev to 14-15k.
  • No engine development during the season. That is insanely stupid. It's a rule that actually reduces competition because the engine is so damn important that if one engine provider "gets it wrong" (or less right) then they simply suffer the whole season. That's really shitty for the fans. Right now, it's really shitty for Renault and Ferrari.
  • Downforce and tires. There's too much of one and not enough of the other. I want less downforce or less "importance of aero" and more tire. More mechanical grip.
  • Bernie Eccelstone. No explanation needed.
Speaking of less importance of aerodynamics & more mechanical grip, the FIA are considering the banning of FRIC. I didn't know such a system would be allowed, considering the history of active suspension.

I agree on all of your points. Might as well throw in steel brakes. Lol
Old 07-09-2014, 01:54 PM   #793
cfusionpm

Drives: Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I do not understand the engine freeze whatsoever. It doesn't save any money because instead of doing what they know will work to improve the engine, teams that don't have a Mercedes engine have to either spend millions trying to find alternative ways to be faster (we're all seeing how that works out...) or they have to write off the entire season.

2013 Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
cfusionpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:37 PM   #794
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alxtheoreo View Post
Here's a thought: If they actually go to these size of wheels, would braking distances decrease due to more surface area & cooling? I know the suspension would need to be more compliant.
I thought cooling wasn't really a problem with the ceramic brakes?

If anything, the bigger wheels will cause more aerodynamic drag and slow down the cars that way Decreased braking distance, marginally.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:13 PM   #795
mike the snake

The brakes used on F1 cars are carbon, not ceramic if I'm not mistaken. They need to get very hot to work properly.

The wheel size limiting braking was something that was put it place a long time ago when F1 brakes were very different.

I'm not sure if enlarging the rotors and brakes will give improvement, with today's brakes and materials. Maybe they might be a lot lighter.

What is FRIC?
Old 07-10-2014, 01:05 AM   #796
rice_classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alxtheoreo View Post
Might as well throw in steel brakes. Lol
They might if they ever pursue cost saving measures. The carbon brakes advantage over steel isn't so much effectiveness but lightness. They are drastically lighter but they can stop just fine on iron/steel/whatever rotors. So if they ever go to 18" wheels they should consider going back to non-carbon rotors.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:07 AM   #797
rice_classic

Quote:

What is FRIC?
Front and Rear Inter Connected suspension.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:22 AM   #798
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
The brakes used on F1 cars are carbon, not ceramic if I'm not mistaken. They need to get very hot to work properly.

The wheel size limiting braking was something that was put it place a long time ago when F1 brakes were very different.
Carbon ceramic composite. I said ceramic because I think that's the most accurate term for it. A ceramic substrate with carbon fiber.

If I were balling out of control I'd get them on all my sports cars for the weight reduction. There's not many places on a car where you can swap one thing and drop so much mass, and unsprung mass at that. Plus, I want a Porsche, and yellow calipers on them look awesome lol.

For Formula 1, I don't think going to iron brakes is necessary. Carbon ceramic brakes is only a tiny fraction of the cost of the car, the voodoo crap they put in the engine and all the aero is what costs all the money.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no mikey nooo, supersupermaxmax, waawaaalewis