follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 11-07-2018, 02:41 PM   #4831
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties View Post
Isn't the OEM fuel pump cradle a surge tank, though? Why is it so ineffective? I'm guessing the volume capacity is too low.

What if you made a hole in the bottom of the surge tank (rendering it useless) and ran a Y fitting off the pump with a 3/8 hose going to both sides of the saddle with a HydraMat on each end?
You'd need a check valve system that closes the Y on either side if/when it starves. This entire assembly would be flopping around inside the tank; it's a VERY tight space to work in.

Im currently using a dual hydramat system in my car and it's not quite getting me the results I want. Two HUGE mats likely will still starve from not enough submersion. A triple Y system with 4 mats (one on each side of the saddle, and one on each end), may do the trick.

Unfortunately I only have so much time to work on my own projects
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:06 PM   #4832
Joesurf79

Drives: 2016 White Pearl BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties View Post
Isn't the OEM fuel pump cradle a surge tank, though? Why is it so ineffective? I'm guessing the volume capacity is too low.

What if you made a hole in the bottom of the surge tank (rendering it useless) and ran a Y fitting off the pump with a 3/8 hose going to both sides of the saddle with a HydraMat on each end?

This was my thought exactly. The way they describe the function of the mat, as it becomes in-covered in an area, it essentially collapses that section of the mat - it only draws from where there is a "capillary action path" so to speak. That's why in the demo video, there is solid fuel flow from just the two ends of a cross making minimal contact with the fuel supply. With two of them tee'd together, it seems if one were to go dry, it would collapse and the pump would still draw from the one making minimal contact with the fuel supply.
Joesurf79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:09 PM   #4833
MCTeeJ

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
@CSG Mike question,

Do you have any thoughts on the bump steer kit SPL offers? I'm wondering if I should consider it to correct my setup as I'm fairly low. What are the benefits exactly? I've been trying to find more info on it but their site kinda just gives the basic description.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:40 PM   #4834
mistople

Drives: 2017 BRZ (Sold), 2023 GR86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I'm upgrading my helmet for next season and started looking around to see what others are doing for extra safety on track.

The general consensus seems to be that a HANS device doesn't do much good with OEM seats/belts etc. Is that true? Should I just leave everything alone?
mistople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:04 AM   #4835
Takumi788
JHerbert Racing

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,186 Times in 593 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistople View Post
I'm upgrading my helmet for next season and started looking around to see what others are doing for extra safety on track.

The general consensus seems to be that a HANS device doesn't do much good with OEM seats/belts etc. Is that true? Should I just leave everything alone?
That is true that a regular hans doesn't work with out a harness setup. The Simpson Hybrid S is designed to work with 3 point belts and a harness setup. Its pricier than the regular hans but it's worth it.
- #813 2013 Scion FRS Build Thread
- JHerbert Racing Website
Takumi788 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Takumi788 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (11-12-2018), mistople (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 08:52 AM   #4836
Joesurf79

Drives: 2016 White Pearl BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
You'd need a check valve system that closes the Y on either side if/when it starves. This entire assembly would be flopping around inside the tank; it's a VERY tight space to work in.

Im currently using a dual hydramat system in my car and it's not quite getting me the results I want. Two HUGE mats likely will still starve from not enough submersion. A triple Y system with 4 mats (one on each side of the saddle, and one on each end), may do the trick.

Unfortunately I only have so much time to work on my own projects
Okay, fine...I"ll agree - Surge tank is the way to go . It's just so tight on space in the tank! I Worked on replacing the rubber seal between my fuel tank and pump basket that I gacked when installing my (ineffective) Velox Fuel Flapper. Measured some, and I cant fit the stack up of fittings I'd want in the tank with the mat, etc.

Which brings me to the question I have for all the kids that have installed surge tanks for heavy duty track use (and are using the factory main tank): How have you guys run the fuel flow from the surge tank, back into the main fuel tank? Specifically, what configuration of fittings, washers, and location did you use to breach the factory setup and have an inlet into the factory tank?

I have seen some pictures on here of a setup by someone named Visconti, but they are banned, and I cant message them. It looked like a 90 degree AN fitting that had been drilled through the top of the fuel pump basket. This seems like a good, simple location that can be done easily, but how would i seal it fuel tight against E85?
Joesurf79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:09 PM   #4837
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTeeJ View Post
@CSG Mike question,

Do you have any thoughts on the bump steer kit SPL offers? I'm wondering if I should consider it to correct my setup as I'm fairly low. What are the benefits exactly? I've been trying to find more info on it but their site kinda just gives the basic description.
There is no blanket yes or no answer. This is something you alignment shop would best be able to answer for your specific scenario.

At worst, it wont hurt to have, and will give you more adjustment.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
MCTeeJ (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 03:10 PM   #4838
CSG Mike

Quote:

A normal HANS is useless with a 3 point. You want a Simpson Hybrid-S, which is what I use.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
mistople (11-12-2018), Takumi788 (11-12-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 01:42 PM   #4839
mistople

I'm reviewing some footage from the past season and am trying to figure out what to work on for next year.

I listened to other's advice and avoided shifting to 2nd or 3rd at times. While that arguably makes for better exit traction and less time spent shifting, I get the feeling I'm leaving a lot of time on the table given that I'm powering out of slower corners starting at ~4k instead of 5 or 6k.

Going up the hill into T2, I stay in 4th to avoid running out of 3rd on the following sequence.

Into some of the slower/tighter corners, I avoid 2nd because I feel like I'll just lose time shifting going onto the following straight.

Any advice based on this lap?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRKAwdOBKXM[/ame]
The Following User Says Thank You to mistople For This Useful Post:
Fish Eagle (11-26-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 02:51 PM   #4840
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I'm reviewing some footage from the past season and am trying to figure out what to work on for next year.

I listened to other's advice and avoided shifting to 2nd or 3rd at times. While that arguably makes for better exit traction and less time spent shifting, I get the feeling I'm leaving a lot of time on the table given that I'm powering out of slower corners starting at ~4k instead of 5 or 6k.

Going up the hill into T2, I stay in 4th to avoid running out of 3rd on the following sequence.

Into some of the slower/tighter corners, I avoid 2nd because I feel like I'll just lose time shifting going onto the following straight.
I suspect you're right, that 2nd gear with a shift is faster. Run something like an AIM Solo and let the data confirm or deny what exactly IS faster.

I used to instruct out there and have the qualifying track record in ITA with ICSCC. Shoot me an IM, I'm sure I can help.
CSG Mike (11-26-2018), mistople (11-26-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 03:38 PM   #4841
mistople

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
I suspect you're right, that 2nd gear with a shift is faster. Run something like an AIM Solo and let the data confirm or deny what exactly IS faster.

I used to instruct out there and have the qualifying track record in ITA with ICSCC. Shoot me an IM, I'm sure I can help.
PM'd. Thanks!
Old 11-26-2018, 04:09 PM   #4842
GrandSport

Drives: 13 Viper; 14 BRZ; 90 Miata; 18 AMG
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
There is no blanket yes or no answer. This is something you alignment shop would best be able to answer for your specific scenario.

At worst, it wont hurt to have, and will give you more adjustment.
is it really beneficial without a 5pt? My understanding is that a 5pt keeps your body in place, but your neck snaps forwards. In a 3pt, your body goes forward and there is an airbag (presumably).
2018 GLE 63 AMG: +800hp whistling AWD TT V8 grocery getter
2016 GX460: IDK. Too reliable to sell. Too boring to use.
GrandSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 05:31 PM   #4843
Fish Eagle
Platinum Member

Drives: Toyota 86 Vortech SC
Thanked 1,021 Times in 541 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Nice video, thanks for sharing.

My southern hemisphere 2c is - if there's doubt about which gear, I always choose the higher gear, and try to grow into it.

Sure, the lower gear sounds better, sounds faster, feels faster, feels more exciting, and initially, will be faster, but I believe that locks you into never really getting faster.

Using a higher gear with lower torque out the corner allows you to carry more speed with better balance, get on the gas earlier, and there's nothing more precise than foot flat in 3rd early in a corner compared to trying to modulate (sort of) half throttle in 2nd somewhere on the way out. And then having to shift...

Works for me.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:27 PM   #4844
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSport View Post
is it really beneficial without a 5pt? My understanding is that a 5pt keeps your body in place, but your neck snaps forwards. In a 3pt, your body goes forward and there is an airbag (presumably).
You mean the Hybrid-S? Yes. Even with your body going forward, it's still partially restrained.