follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote! 367 74.59%
I don't know, but its time for a new name. 125 25.41%
Voters: 492. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 06:04 PM   #2675
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
True. Wouldn't you want less Supras on the road than twins? Would make it more rare.
yup, i would be surprised if they sold more then 5,000 a year in the US.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:53 PM   #2676
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Another look at the liftback.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/its...ack.648/page-7

Some camo has been removed, and we can see the top of the seats.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/toy...ng.607/page-18

Old 07-08-2018, 10:26 PM   #2677
gymratter

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/202...is-month.1325/

Quote:
Toyota Europe just posted a larger and clearer version of the teaser and a new one of the rear.

The legend returns

The Toyota Supra A90 prototype is set to make its world debut appearance at the prestigious Goodwood Festival of Speed 2018.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:37 AM   #2678
m.box.design

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Thanked 1,662 Times in 933 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
The overall shape of the car does speak the same language as the A80.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:42 AM   #2679
R_E_L
He's got this.

Drives: 50th Anni BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Looks really compact in the top view. Can't wait to see it with its clothes off, which I hear might be happening at SEMA? I guess they really want to push that tuner angle that the last Supra became known for.
vh_supra26 (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 01:24 PM   #2680
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Toyota Supra: See the Legend Return

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/toyota-supr...-legend-return

Quote:
The hotly anticipated new Toyota Supra sports car will make its public debut in prototype form at the 2018 Goodwood Festival of Speed.

The development model will be seen in action for the first time anywhere in the world on the famous hill course at the Festival, making a fitting contribution to the event’s silver jubilee year. The prototype will be driven by two of the people leading its development: chief engineer Testuya Tada, who has overall responsibility for the Supra project, and master driver Herwig Daenens.

Following the announcement of a new Toyota Supra at the Geneva Motor Show in March, Toyota confirms that the model will be faithful to its distinguished heritage. "It will be a pure, thoroughbred sports car that uses a front-mounted, in-line six-cylinder engine and rear-wheel drive."

The Toyota Supra prototype will be camouflaged in the black-red-and-white colours of Toyota Gazoo Racing – the same colours which adorned Toyota’s 24 Hours of Le Mans winning TS050 Hybrid this year – and will be in action on the Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday of the Festival.

Fans will also have the chance to take a close look at the Toyota GR Supra Racing Concept. Created by Toyota Gazoo Racing (TGR), this concept heralded the return of the Supra name when it was unveiled at this year’s Geneva Motor Show. It explores the potential for a high-performance competition model, featuring dramatic bodywork crafted in advanced, lightweight composite materials, with lowered suspension, racing wheels and cockpit equipped to competition standards.

TGR is the organisation which spearheads Toyota’s global sporting programme and the development of exclusive, performance-focused, GR-branded road cars, including the recently introduced Yaris GRMN. In the FIA World Endurance Championship, TGR achieved Toyota’s first victory in the 24 Hours of Le Mans with a one-two finish in this year’s race. The #8 Toyota TS050 Hybrid which claimed the historic victory will be on display in the competition paddock at Goodwood.

TGR also competes at the highest international level in the FIA World Rally Championship with the Yaris WRC. It has claimed two victories in its debut season in 2017 and scored a win on Rally Argentina and a number of podium finishes so far this year.

Toyota expects its new Toyota Supra to reach the market during the first half of 2019.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:00 PM   #2681
TorontoNat

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Asphalt [Gray]
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Because it's more like a mustang / Camaro in performance...... I don't know how many they expect to make / sell, but it's obvious if you make a fast car at a somewhat reasonable price they sell.

The frs/brz is not fast nor is it a bargain. It's a super niche vehicle.
Agreed. They could sell more but they also don't want to devalue it. If a supra is not somewhat rare it's not a supra.
gymratter (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 08:10 PM   #2682
gymratter

exactly, and interview after interview Tada san has said the benchmark was Porsche. last time i check Porsche arent bargain cars and they dont sell in huge numbers like the Mustang & Camaro.
The Following User Says Thank You to gymratter For This Useful Post:
TorontoNat (07-10-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 08:26 PM   #2683
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Tetsuya Tada reveals the secrets of the Toyota Supra before its presentation

https://www.motor.es/noticias/entrev...201848191.html

Quote:
The father of the Toyota Supra reveals the secrets of his latest creation. In this interview, he tells us about development keys, what he has been inspired and what are the objectives of this sporty front engine, rear-wheel drive and fully racing approach.

During the 24 hours of Le Mans we were once again able to approach Tetsuya Tada, chief engineer and development of the Toyota Supra . As he is responsible for all aspects of the car (design, development, sales, competition) he did not teach the Toyota Supra GR Concept once again and as he did during his debut where we were able to interview him, he continued to tell us some information about the sporting future of the car. brand. Our colleague David Sánchez de Castro had the privilege of talking with him:

GR Concept When can we see the car in competition?

" The concept of the car has been developed under the specifications of the competition category, you can probably see it this month, this car has been tested particularly in competition conditions, which means that all the information we have obtained from the specifications of We used the category of competition for the production of cars, that was our goal. "

How about the FIA?

" In terms of FIA I can not answer because competition is part of my tasks but it's not really my main field of work, but the fia are responding great and we hope to be able to compete soon "

Toyota Gazoo Racing, aims to not only have vehicles competing, but also to market a range of vehicles that also represent it. According to the strategic plan of the brand, the Supra will be the spearhead, although there will be other models with the logo of the sports division of the manufacturer, such as the Yaris GRMN that we tested in its international presentation.

Why has it been decided to base the concept of the Supra in the competition?

" In my private life I participate in rallies and races, in my opinion, driving a car on a race track is how you can see if you have got the maximum power of the car because you are pushing the car to the limit. the thrill of driving a car to the limit and I want people to feel the same when driving a Toyota, that's my motivation to keep improving. "

Have you met Fernando Alonso and would you like him to try the Supra to get his opinion?

" So far I have not talked to him personally so we do not plan to try the Supra, but I would love to visit Spain and meet him to explain our work. "

¿ When you worked in the Corolla TET, Carlos worked closely with some aspect of the vehicle?

" At the time I was not working directly on the development of the vehicle, so we did not agree, Sainz is a hero, he has inspired me a lot. "

¿ What inspires you when designing a car?

" In my daily work I have many different vehicles to launch on the international market, so I try to drive them as much as I can to experience each car, each week I drive a different car, which allows me to know what positive aspects each one offers me. It offers you different kinds of good experiences It is very important for me to experience the car with my own body, evaluate each part individually and together.

For example, this new Supra, if I try it to experience the behavior of the car in the first person and say: yes, this is what I want to feel! Then I try to embody my experience, all the good experiences that driving offers me, in the Supra. I think this is the best way to form the concept of the vehicle. "

¿ Which category will participate?

" We are still researching to find out which category will participate in. There are many aspects that we have to think about before choosing the category, if you take a look at the current sports cars, each year they show updates, offer limited editions, etc., and our intention is to do the same. "

I imagine that you have driven many sports cars and that in them, the electronic system is very important to improve the driving experience. What new features does Toyota offer us to improve the driving experience?

"I used to work as an engineer before, so my field is electronics, I was mainly in charge of ABS and traction control, which means that I used to take control of the car's computer long before it was normally done in the However, speaking of the new Supra, personally, I do not like that the improvements of the car depend mainly on the electronic system.

I like basic and simple cars, but as you said, with the most current technology and programming a better and more intelligent system, you get unique experiences. In this new Supra we have focused on giving a real driving experience. The biggest improvement it offers is the differential. We have not used the natural technology of progress. We present a new and unique proposal and we hope to give you a new and original experience with this new Supra. "

¿ When to begin production and when we try this new experience?

" The production and sale will start next year, but of course we want you Spaniards to try it first to know your opinion and be part of the improvement of the vehicle. "

¿ What was the first step in designing the Supra?

" The first step I took was to go around the world asking Supra fans to understand what key elements should be without fault in the new Supra, they just did not want a" revival "of the model. Central engine, rear-wheel drive, a good six-cylinder turbo engine and real driving, we decided these two things first and started from there. "

And what was the last step?

" Well, we have not finished yet, but I think that, although it is still in the process of development, we are totally convinced that it is already a great producer, we have half a year to dedicate it to introducing improvements and increasing quality. "

Are you going to put the car on circuits to get records or is not that your goal?

As with the GT86, we do not aim to break records, yet the new Supra is achieving fantastic times.

What aspect of this car are you most proud of?

What I am most proud of is to offer the best sports car on the market at a price that any car fan could afford.

The Toyota Supra will debut on the track at the Goodwood Festival of Speed although we will have to wait a little longer to see its final appearance, as it will make an appearance with a camouflage vinyl. To see it fully exposed we will have to wait until the end of summer. Attentive to motor.es

Old 07-10-2018, 12:37 AM   #2684
Wise
Circle Work Clerk

Drives: 2012 Mt. Fuji Red Toyota 86 GTS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_supra26 View Post
although we will have to wait a little longer to see its final appearance, as it will make an appearance with a camouflage vinyl. To see it fully exposed we will have to wait until the end of summer.
Wait... what?!

So it's basically just the same camo spy car that we've seen in spy shots for the past 2 years only it'll be driving through the Goodwood festival?

FFS just unveil it already!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wise For This Useful Post:
bfrank1972 (07-10-2018), vh_supra26 (07-10-2018), WolfpackS2k (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 12:59 AM   #2685
Wise
Circle Work Clerk

Drives: 2012 Mt. Fuji Red Toyota 86 GTS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratter View Post
posted on MKV

This Toyota Surpa sounds like a hell of a car.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wise For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 09:56 AM   #2686
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
Wait... what?!

So it's basically just the same camo spy car that we've seen in spy shots for the past 2 years only it'll be driving through the Goodwood festival?

Yeah this slow roll out is embarassing. Sorry but people don't care that much.

Quote:
What aspect of this car are you most proud of?

What I am most proud of is to offer the best sports car on the market at a price that any car fan could afford.
I have to question anything out of Tada-san's mouth. Either he's out of touch or the translators for these interviews are way off.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:13 PM   #2687
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
Wait... what?!

You're preaching to the choir. On the bright side we may get a look at the interior.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:31 PM   #2688
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
It is a revised camo car, more like a production concept that they put camo on. The main thing is seeing how well it performs on the hill. We already know what it's going to look like from the renders.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guff For This Useful Post:
gymratter (07-11-2018), vh_supra26 (07-11-2018)

Closed Thread

Tags
bmwforsuckers, boring-zzzzzzzzzzzzz, brz, celica supra confirmed, frs, ft-1, hatch-y +1, morethanucanaffordpal, nomanualnogo, supra, toyota, twins, watstheretailon1ofthose