follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote! 367 74.59%
I don't know, but its time for a new name. 125 25.41%
Voters: 492. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 12:03 AM   #2381
carsebuco
How do I shift?

Drives: '13 GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
I still think Toyota should have just done this car themselves using the LC as a base. This Z4 wheelbase is just too short making the new Supra look a little weird. I wonder if that crazy high hoodline was a design struggle with Tada san after doing 86/BRZ.

GR loves buttholes.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #2382
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxis View Post
Yes I did Hans. What's your point? Maybe you should have one before posting, unless name calling was your intent.

I wasn't trying to piss in any of the Wheaties of deluded BMW or Supra fanboys, I'm just a realist. I wanted a straight 6 in the Supra, but don't act naive about what you are getting. If anything, pointing out faults is what would help Toyota prepare or fix problems before they become issues.

Here u go Right Said Fred. Watch this video.

Btw, did you get your air injection fixed yet? Don't be too sexy for your Tundra mkay?
Your first video was a owner of an N55 engine.
The second video is literally the only B58 water pump issue on YouTube and it was a bad seal.

B58 is an updated design from the N55 engine which used an electric water pump. The water pump is now mechanical. http://www.bimmerfest.com/news/87246...ents-from-n55/

Every manufacturer can have issues. Talk to Ford Focus RS owners they are having a great time.

So yeah you are trying to make an issue out of a non issue.
That or you just dont know what you are talking about.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:34 AM   #2383
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Last edited by gymratter; 03-13-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:08 PM   #2384
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I still think Toyota should have just done this car themselves using the LC as a base. This Z4 wheelbase is just too short making the new Supra look a little weird. I wonder if that crazy high hoodline was a design struggle with Tada san after doing 86/BRZ.

High hoodline? Looks average to me, and no less tall than the FRS'
Old 03-12-2018, 03:00 PM   #2385
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Interview with Chief Engineer Tetsuya Tada

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/int...suya-tada.787/

Quote:
Speaking to Tetsuya Tada

The Geneva show gave us the opportunity to discuss the Supra further with the car's chief engineer, Tetsuya Tada. While Tada and the company are still being cagey at this stage, the chat was encouraging, and helped to illustrate that despite the car's co-development with the BMW Z4, Toyota's effort will be a very different car to its Bavarian counterpart.

How much can you say about the differences between the Z4 and Supra?

Unlike the GT86 co-developed with Subaru, with BMW we first decided on the concept of the car that each company would like to develop separately. Once these concepts were clear we looked into which parts could be common between the two projects - and the number of common parts and elements are much fewer than many may imagine.

Presumably it’s going to share the engine architecture, so how has Toyota developed the engine, suspension etc differently from BMW? Is it a more focused car?

From our side Toyota wanted to make a pure sports car, and BMW has a slightly different direction. Engine calibration is quite different between the two cars. Even if the hardware is the same in some elements, the calibration is completely different - the driving experience will be very different to the Z4.

Which other models have been benchmarked, and is there any reference to previous versions of the Supra?

We looked into Porsches - the 911 for example. As for previous Supras, we’re aware that there’s a huge fanbase for previous Supras, so we’ve interviewed them to hear their expectations before we started the project. People told us they wanted a six-cylinder engine and a front-engined, rear-drive layout.

Will it be offered with a manual gearbox?

We’re still in discussion about these details, so we don’t know what the final production car will use yet.

Is there any likelihood of a hybrid powertrain?

We are considering not only hybrid but also other powertrain tech, EVs, fuel cells etc. We’re looking at all these possibilities for our future sports cars.

The Supra will be sold under Gazoo Racing rather than as a Toyota. Given the love for the Supra as a Toyota product, why the branding difference?

It’s not our intention to change the brand, but we created GR as a dedicated sports car brand under Toyota, so it makes sense for all Toyota’s future models to be sold under the GR brand.

How much of the GT86 development has assisted in developing the Supra?

In terms of the number of engineers just a few, but we’ve taken on new engineers too, and the GT86 itself has been a significant factor in allowing us to develop the Supra. The reason we took on new members for this project was because most engineers dream of developing a sports car in their life, so we wanted to give this opportunity to our younger engineers.

Have you taken tuning into account during the development of the new car? Will there be aspects people can customise?

Just as with the 86, we have the same message with the new car - we’d really like people to tune the car themselves.

Will there be any factory modifications, or are you letting the aftermarket take over?

It’s difficult to define what is a brand or maker-approved modification. It was a concern we had with the GT86, but once it was launched on the market we learned that users on the market have quite high standards and respect the car, so the aftermarket developed on its own. I hope the same will happen with the Supra. With the GT86 we didn’t have to interfere too much into the market and what the users were doing - so as a brand we’re not likely to interfere with the market too much either.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vh_supra26 For This Useful Post:
abraxis (03-12-2018), daiheadjai (03-12-2018), funwheeldrive (03-12-2018), krayzie (03-12-2018), R_E_L (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 03:31 PM   #2386
abraxis

Drives: many
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
Your first video was a owner of an N55 engine.
The second video is literally the only B58 water pump issue on YouTube and it was a bad seal.

B58 is an updated design from the N55 engine which used an electric water pump. The water pump is now mechanical. http://www.bimmerfest.com/news/87246...ents-from-n55/

Every manufacturer can have issues. Talk to Ford Focus RS owners they are having a great time.

So yeah you are trying to make an issue out of a non issue.
That or you just dont know what you are talking about.
No it's both mechanical and electrical, and the N55 does support my comment about general BMW reliability as a valid concern. Poor design choices and cheaping out on critical parts decisions. As does years of driver and tech experience in dealerships and garages. I also find the claims of BMW's going over 200k-300k miles without any issue either exceedingly rare or utter BS. The only non-issue here is a lack of concern either due to bias or fanboyism.

A saving grace of buying a Supra over a Z4 is going to a Toyota service center rather than a BMW one (which are close to criminally run enterprises often times). They've been known to lack performance of standard included maintenance procedures, like I dunno, actually changing the oil in a car?! Instead just returning vehicles back to owners with no work done. But I bow to your superior knowledge of engineering and the auto industry.

The only Focus RS owner I've seen recently was in my rearview...

Last edited by abraxis; 03-12-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:41 PM   #2387
R_E_L
He's got this.

Drives: 50th Anni BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Really happy to see that the manual is still on the table. If Porsche is still putting them in their cars, any "pure sports car" should have the option. Particularly since this is not looking to be an out and out performance/numbers car like the GT-R, there really is no excuse to leave it out.
daiheadjai (03-12-2018), funwheeldrive (03-12-2018), krayzie (03-12-2018), WolfpackS2k (03-13-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 04:24 PM   #2388
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
High hoodline? Looks average to me, and no less tall than the FRS'
I hope you are right. Once my BRZ falls apart I guess this new Supra would be the next car to get, something that I wish would have better build quality. Hope the manual option is really in the works, and not too many BMW parts.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:31 PM   #2389
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:

I think the hoodline is probably low, and what you are seeing is an optical illusion. The side windows look small almost Camaro small and the roofline extends over the sides making it look thick. I bet they resorted to doing a bubble effect too on the roof for head clearance.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:40 PM   #2390
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxis View Post
I also find the claims of BMW's going over 200k-300k miles without any issue either exceedingly rare or utter BS. The only non-issue here is a lack of concern either due to bias or fanboyism.
I've never made, nor supported, any claims of BMW's going over 200k miles without issue. Claims like that are utter nonsense.

BMW reliability issues were well deserved at one point but that was close to a decade ago and in the past 5+ years they have improved.
Unfortunately the perception is out and has yet to shift.

Regardless I am a fanboy of no car or manufacturer. I am a car/racing enthusiast.

From my sport bikes to my sport cars I'll try anything.
I've owned Toyota Supras, Mazda Miata, Chevrolet Corvette, Scion FRS, and now the BMW M240i.

I have no loyalty to this BMW. Its fun as heck and if it breaks down I'll get it fixed.
If it continually has issues I'll trade it off before the warranty is up for something else.
The Following User Says Thank You to tennisfreak For This Useful Post:
abraxis (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 08:12 PM   #2391
abraxis

Drives: many
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_supra26 View Post
So this is interesting since the 86 is already at 50/50 parts shared with Subaru. It would be impressive if the Magna Steyr facility allowed for even greater product differentiation in the Supra/Z4 between BMW and Toyota. Hopefully a non BMW interior.

Although the new BMW steering wheels are pretty sweet, tbh.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:56 PM   #2392
Irace86.2.0

Quote:

Quote:
http://www.motortrend.com/news/12-th...-toyota-supra/

1. 2 seater
2. I6
3. Hybrid isn't ruled out; just not developed for the I6 powerplant
4. 50:50 wd
5. Lower center of gravity compared to 86 - roof is 2.2 inches lower than 86; wheelbase is 4 inches shorter.
6. 2x 86 rigidity
7. No rear transaxle for affordability (not sure what this really means)
8. Active torque vectoring via differential
9. No steer or brake by wire
10. Porsche benchmark
11. GT Sport tie-in for e-racing
12. GT500 class, not GT300 like the previous A80 Supra.
Bonus: 'A90' chassis code
Hate to beat a dead horse but says 2.2 inches lower than the 86.

-----------------------

On a separate note, is 50/50 weight distribution suppose to be with the driver or without the driver?
Old 03-13-2018, 12:28 AM   #2393
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Hate to beat a dead horse but says 2.2 inches lower than the 86.

-----------------------

On a separate note, is 50/50 weight distribution suppose to be with the driver or without the driver?
hoodline isnt roofline though
Old 03-13-2018, 12:38 AM   #2394
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
hoodline isnt roofline though
Aww, I read that wrong. Still, the hood doesn't look high either; maybe high compared to the 86 or high compared to the proportions because the roof is so low. It has got to fit an I6, al be it, a slant six, so the hood should be higher than the 86.
The Following User Says Thank You to Irace86.2.0 For This Useful Post:
fatoni (03-13-2018)

Closed Thread

Tags
bmwforsuckers, boring-zzzzzzzzzzzzz, brz, celica supra confirmed, frs, ft-1, hatch-y +1, morethanucanaffordpal, nomanualnogo, supra, toyota, twins, watstheretailon1ofthose