follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 10-16-2018, 12:59 PM   #15
KnightRyderx2

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Did some great work on this. Awesome job!

I guess one thing I am seeing is wheel to strut engagement. I put a 18x9.5 offset +40 with 245/35 in there and its saying -7mm in red suspension distance, which I'm assuming means its not going to work. I'm also assuming that your calculation is setup for only OEM strut, is that right? I know this setup works on aftermarket coilover setups but im not 100% sure about OEM. I have seen posts about it working with OEM and some that it does not work.

Maybe something to take into account would be stock strut vs. coilover. I would just do two values OEM and aftermarket keep it simple. Most aftermarket coilovers are same width anyways.
KnightRyderx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:20 PM   #16
Impureclient

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 1,667 Times in 757 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I got another one. When you lower the car with the "coilover" setting, it automatically changes visual of the rear tire (and front not quite as much) to show it have more negative camber as it gets lower, which is a real nice touch.
It does indicate it in green under the box. The problem is it doesn't show that total change in the "camber" setting box. Maybe I'm wrong on this but I also thought on that 1" lower spring it was always sitting closer to -2
in rear where the visual shows it and also below the camber box "-1.0" in green at that height. I ended up having a 1.2" drop with the TRD springs and my rear is -2 and the calculator shows a -1.2 in green.

In fact I just realized my post here where I thought the visual was off was just the camber setting thing happening here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
Works pretty great. I could be wrong but it seems like the rear should be about 5mm further out than it says.
Too bad about anybody not driving an Argento or Steel FRS though, they'll have to use something else.
If you add something in that can overlay in different wheels and also back up to see the whole car, I think it can't be beat.
Then the ability to change the car color and this is the ONLY wheel and tire fitment calculator that anybody in here would use.
With that change to show total camber change in the box would fix what I thought was 5mm off in the visual of the wheel/tire on the car.

Right now if I change the camber setting to -0.8 in the box plus the green -1.2 below, that is a total of -2 and that is exactly how that setting looks like in real life with a 1.2" drop.
All that has to be done is make that coilover box indicate what the camber becomes automatically as you lower it.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:13 PM   #17
dominicpadawan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Argento
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRyderx2 View Post
Did some great work on this. Awesome job!

I guess one thing I am seeing is wheel to strut engagement. I put a 18x9.5 offset +40 with 245/35 in there and its saying -7mm in red suspension distance, which I'm assuming means its not going to work. I'm also assuming that your calculation is setup for only OEM strut, is that right? I know this setup works on aftermarket coilover setups but im not 100% sure about OEM. I have seen posts about it working with OEM and some that it does not work.

Maybe something to take into account would be stock strut vs. coilover. I would just do two values OEM and aftermarket keep it simple. Most aftermarket coilovers are same width anyways.
You are right, the distance from suspension is with Stock suspension. I take note, maybe I could add an option for aftermarket coilovers. Thank you
dominicpadawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:19 PM   #18
dominicpadawan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Argento
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
I got another one. When you lower the car with the "coilover" setting, it automatically changes visual of the rear tire (and front not quite as much) to show it have more negative camber as it gets lower, which is a real nice touch.
It does indicate it in green under the box. The problem is it doesn't show that total change in the "camber" setting box. Maybe I'm wrong on this but I also thought on that 1" lower spring it was always sitting closer to -2
in rear where the visual shows it and also below the camber box "-1.0" in green at that height. I ended up having a 1.2" drop with the TRD springs and my rear is -2 and the calculator shows a -1.2 in green.

In fact I just realized my post here where I thought the visual was off was just the camber setting thing happening here:

With that change to show total camber change in the box would fix what I thought was 5mm off in the visual of the wheel/tire on the car.

Right now if I change the camber setting to -0.8 in the box plus the green -1.2 below, that is a total of -2 and that is exactly how that setting looks like in real life with a 1.2" drop.
All that has to be done is make that coilover box indicate what the camber becomes automatically as you lower it.
Exactly, the number between ( ) is what I call "Coilover natural camber". When the suspension drops, it creates camber (more on the back). Maybe I could do something to specify that. I take notes for futur update.

Thanks for the feedback
dominicpadawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:46 PM   #19
autumnkaede

Drives: FRS - 2016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Currently I have a new set of wheels that are 18x8.5 +48(offset) and a new set of tires that are 245/35/R18. I put it in your calculator and I can't not tell it fits or not, but today I went to the went to try the installation, my tech told me it's not gonna fit, it require a spacer. Can you help me?

Good work btw.
autumnkaede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:28 PM   #20
Vital

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnkaede View Post
Currently I have a new set of wheels that are 18x8.5 +48(offset) and a new set of tires that are 245/35/R18. I put it in your calculator and I can't not tell it fits or not, but today I went to the went to try the installation, my tech told me it's not gonna fit, it require a spacer. Can you help me?

Good work btw.
Your tech is correct those wheels are not gonna fit. With 18x8.5 wheels you need at least a +44 or +45 offset. You can just get like a 3-5mm spacer and it should fit.
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote