follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 08-18-2014, 12:01 PM   #1
JustDoItMikey

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
DIY - SRP Sullivan Racing Products Gas Pedal Extender

In an effort to continually bring high quality content to my fellow FT86 family I am sharing below my review and DIY for the gas pedal kit from SRP Racing. I am not affiliated with SRP in any way and did not receive product in return for this writeup.

Review
If you are like me you have found that the brake and gas pedal are just a hair too far apart to heel and toe in the side to side manner. I know typical heel toe is simple in this car but I was forced to learn side to side in my Miata due to how the pedals are positioned and I prefer it. That out of the way if you need that slight bit more pedal to make your heel toe easier this is a great option. As you can see the pedal is considerably larger.

The part displayed is the standard gas pedal with the satin finish. I am very happy with the finish and quality of the part, the fit over the existing pedal block is almost perfect. My only negative comment is that the curve of the SRP pedal did not perfectly match the stock pedal, this doesn't affect install or visual appearance but felt it was worth mentioning. Overall this gets a 9 of 10 in my book. The quality is top notch, it is the perfect width to let me heel toe side to side and the appearance is close enough to the stock pedals that most people would not notice.

DIY

This is a simple DIY. I would say its a 2 of 10 for difficulty and can easily be complete in less than 30 minutes. There is a previous DIY by Doborder but he didn't include any pictures of the actual pedal install so I am making a more concise version. This DIY was complete on a 2015 FR-S but I would assume its the same for all first gen FT86's. I accept no responsibility for any damages arising from use of this DIY, do at your own risk.

Tools

Screw Driver (flat and phillips)
Pliers
10mm socket or wrench
Drill with 5/64 bit

1 First Step is to remove the pedal from the car. This adds 5 minutes to the job but makes things so much simpler. Use the 10mm socket on the two bolts, unplug the connector and remove the pedal assembly.

Photo credits to Doborder.

This leaves you with the following

2 Now that you have the assembly out flip it over and you will see the metal cover is held on with 8 metal tabs as seen below.

Using your flat head screwdriver pry up on the tabs.

Then use pliers to pry them the rest of the way up.

3 Now that the clips are pried up you can slip the cover off of the plastic backer.
[IMG]http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x226/Justdoitmikey/DIY%20photo%20dump/106_zps***47b69.png[/IMG]

This will leave you with just the plastic backer piece. This piece has the circle insets molded into it which will line up with the SRP pedal.

4 Line up the SRP pedal cover over the plastic backer. Note that the plastic inset pieces don't extend through the pedal face so you will need to line things up nice and close and then drill one hole with the 5/64" bit.

5 Screw in the first screw, recheck your alignment and drill the second hole and repeat. Note that these screws are only going into plastic so don't over torque them or you will strip the plastic and then have to source through bolts and nuts. I also noted that my bottom hole contacted the metal rod that runs through the center of the pedal, this didn't prevent me from having the necessary depth to install the screw but if you strip this screw thru bolting it is going to be a serious pain.

6 Reinstall the assembly in the car, be sure to plug the drive by wire back in good and enjoy.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:41 PM   #2
A3r0pusH

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm Red
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This may be what I need to do for my car. I do have problems every now and then because of the seat position and shoes getting stuck during certain heel and toe tries. I'm still new to the practice, but this seems like you wouldn't have to get your foot as sideways as I'm doing now. Thanks for the write up.
A3r0pusH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:10 PM   #3
JustDoItMikey

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A3r0pusH View Post
This may be what I need to do for my car. I do have problems every now and then because of the seat position and shoes getting stuck during certain heel and toe tries. I'm still new to the practice, but this seems like you wouldn't have to get your foot as sideways as I'm doing now. Thanks for the write up.
It makes a huge difference! I don't do the traditional heel toe since my last track car didn't have room for me to do it that way but this extension will only serve to make it easier to heel toe regardless of which style you use. For my foot width and style of heel toe this allows me to get on the brakes hard with most of my foot and still be able to drop the outside of my foot to blip the gas. It also doesn't raise the pedal like I assume the Cusco one does which would be a bad thing in my opinion.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:46 AM   #4
yellowjacketcanada

Drives: 2017 BRZ INAZUMA (Yellow) Edition
Garage
Thanks for providing this DYI. Very clear instructions. Replaced my oem pedal today with the SRP pedal. Simple upgrade but great improvement. I can't rotate my size 14 feet so I prefer the side to side method. I also like to keep my foot firmly on the brake pedal so this works very well.
yellowjacketcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yellowjacketcanada For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (05-27-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 07:46 PM   #5
Nico21

Drives: tangerine GT86
I've installed this pedal a few weeks ago, and I'm a lot more confident with heel to toe now.
I was a little worried that I could accidentally press the gas pedal while braking in daily use since it's quite bigger than stock (and I've been driving my GT for 3 years), but it only takes a few days to get used to it.

As noted in the diy, the bottom screw hits the metal rod in the pedal. Therefore the screw will either protrude a bit or end up a little sideways. Not a big issue but they could have provided a slightly smaller screw!
Nico21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nico21 For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (05-27-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 11:17 PM   #6
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico21 View Post
I've installed this pedal a few weeks ago, and I'm a lot more confident with heel to toe now.
I was a little worried that I could accidentally press the gas pedal while braking in daily use since it's quite bigger than stock (and I've been driving my GT for 3 years), but it only takes a few days to get used to it.

As noted in the diy, the bottom screw hits the metal rod in the pedal. Therefore the screw will either protrude a bit or end up a little sideways. Not a big issue but they could have provided a slightly smaller screw!
Was it a self tapping screw with a sharp tip at the end? Maybe grind it down a little?
Do you feel the screw protruding with your foot?
Is the new pedal held on with any tabs or just the two screws?
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swarb For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (05-27-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 04:56 PM   #7
Nico21

Drives: tangerine GT86
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
Was it a self tapping screw with a sharp tip at the end? Maybe grind it down a little?
Do you feel the screw protruding with your foot?
Is the new pedal held on with any tabs or just the two screws?
Indeed the screws have a sharp tip, but I didn't think about shortening them. I drilled 2 small holes in the pedal (plastic) before putting the screws in anyways, so it might have worked without the tip.

The pedal is only attached by these 2 screws. Once I had everything tightened down (and noticed the bottom screw going a bit sideways) I didn't want to remove them and risk ruining the thread on the plastic or something, so I left it like that. I can't feel the screw at all with my foot, it's only a minor visual issue!
Nico21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nico21 For This Useful Post:
swarb (06-01-2017)