follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge

Off-Topic Lounge For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-04-2017, 07:51 PM   #1
Impureclient
Senior Member
 
Impureclient's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Drives: 2015 FR-S
Location: NPR, Florida
Posts: 1,556
Thanks: 1,031
Thanked 1,660 Times in 754 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Profession advice list

I know there is a thread about age and profession but this seems like this it will actually serve a purpose rather than just serve curiosity.

We should all, or not if you are a secret agent, put our name(for an IM) and profession on a list that will be updated for each person who ads in their info.
Then if you have a question about plumbing you can just run down the list and see if a plumber is on it and ask away. I know Google turns up a lot of answers but since I've gotten
a lot of help in here even on non car related stuff, it seems a nice idea to help out fellow 86ers.
Don't put your name on if you don't want to be bothered and if you want it off at any time you just post a new list with the copied and pasted list with your name off it, easy.
I was reading a current thread about insurance rates and it seems that most if not all the questions that would come up could be swiftly made by finding an car insurance person.
There are auto detailers in here, carpenters, pilots, etc. Everybody has some good info even if it is how to cook french fries to perfection.

So if this seems like a good idea, I will start...if not then I guess, it will die. Just copy the list, add your info and paste. No comments are needed but it doesn't hurt either, maybe a small quick 4 or 5 words to specify
what kind of work is done. We can just click that member link and go right to an IM with the question.
I made something similar like this for a gun website with Microsoft Excel that is used to find different types of scopes and rings that you have used on different types of one manufacturers .22 rifles to make selecting new scope/rings on a new gun easier.
It works much better than just copying and pasting but if there is enough interest, I would do the same with this. It also has a form in Google docs that made submission easy and puts all the info directly to the Excel document for anybody to use.

I made one above that is an example but that can be edited out right away when this takes off, if it even does.

French fry cook -------- Zeek Smith -------- French fry and onion ring master chef
concrete and travertine pavers, acrylic decking ------- @Impureclient ------- pool deck, driveway, walkway, patio
Impureclient is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Impureclient For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-04-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 08:10 PM   #2
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 49,913
Thanks: 44,658
Thanked 68,465 Times in 31,056 Posts
Mentioned: 1852 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
I know there is a thread about age and profession but this seems like this it will actually serve a purpose rather than just serve curiosity.

We should all, or not if you are a secret agent, put our name(for an IM) and profession on a list that will be updated for each person who ads in their info.
Then if you have a question about plumbing you can just run down the list and see if a plumber is on it and ask away. I know Google turns up a lot of answers but since I've gotten
a lot of help in here even on non car related stuff, it seems a nice idea to help out fellow 86ers.
Don't put your name on if you don't want to be bothered and if you want it off at any time you just post a new list with the copied and pasted list with your name off it, easy.
I was reading a current thread about insurance rates and it seems that most if not all the questions that would come up could be swiftly made by finding an car insurance person.
There are auto detailers in here, carpenters, pilots, etc. Everybody has some good info even if it is how to cook french fries to perfection.

So if this seems like a good idea, I will start...if not then I guess, it will die. Just copy the list, add your info and paste. No comments are needed but it doesn't hurt either, maybe a small quick 4 or 5 words to specify
what kind of work is done. We can just click that member link and go right to an IM with the question.
I made something similar like this for a gun website with Microsoft Excel that is used to find different types of scopes and rings that you have used on different types of one manufacturers .22 rifles to make selecting new scope/rings on a new gun easier.
It works much better than just copying and pasting but if there is enough interest, I would do the same with this. It also has a form in Google docs that made submission easy and puts all the info directly to the Excel document for anybody to use.

I made one above that is an example but that can be edited out right away when this takes off, if it even does.

French fry cook -------- Zeek Smith -------- French fry and onion ring master chef
concrete and travertine pavers, acrylic decking ------- @Impureclient ------- pool deck, driveway, walkway, patio
Think this is a great idea but a couple of points of clarification before I enter mine.
Not really sure how you mean to compile the list and have it fixed in one place. Copy and paste our info where?

What about those of us that have had several positions or jobs? Separate entries for each? Mine could be complicated to look through the details if I tried to list all of what I have done/do.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:21 PM   #3
Impureclient
Senior Member
 
Impureclient's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Drives: 2015 FR-S
Location: NPR, Florida
Posts: 1,556
Thanks: 1,031
Thanked 1,660 Times in 754 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Think this is a great idea but a couple of points of clarification before I enter mine.
Not really sure how you mean to compile the list and have it fixed in one place. Copy and paste our info where?

What about those of us that have had several positions or jobs? Separate entries for each? Mine could be complicated to look through the details if I tried to list all of what I have done/do.
Just copy and paste the last person who added their name/info into a new post and add your info, then post it.

Maybe just current job or one you feel you can advise about the best. Or Add multiple entries if you are a renaissance man like yourself.
I also have cooked, mixed paint, installed irrigation sprinklers and could probably answer most questions about that too but it's been a while...20+ years ago.

So if you do join in it would look like this with multiple entries:

French fry cook -------- Zeek Smith -------- French fry and onion ring master chef
concrete and travertine pavers, acrylic decking ------- @Impureclient ------- pool deck, driveway, walkway, patio
Exotic Dancer -------- @Tcoat -------- Dancer, stripper, model
Nuclear Physicist ------- @Tcoat ------ Making bombs, yo!

...But edit out what I put in and add your real info unless I got some of that correct.

When I did the Excel thing, I had to add all the info that was already put in a thread, about 100 entries or so so instead of reading through hundreds of posts it was all easy access.
Now that one I made has about 170 entries and you can find exactly what you need in seconds.
So the sooner this is all accepted, the sooner an Excel spreadsheet makes it easier to peruse the list and find who/what you need. Just copy and pasting the list over and over works really too
as all you have to do is look at the last person who responded in here and that will be the updated list.

Edit: Thinking about this it's probably best that the Excel thing doesn't happen since anybody can log into it and screw it up hardcore since it's able to be edited by all. So if somebody gets banned in here for being a tool they can just go to the Spreadsheet and screw it all up if they wanted or just mess with it because ...human. Keeping the list at the last post up to date makes it only current members editable and if any funny business happens you can see who exactly did what. That's why I didn't post a link to the Excel spreadsheet gun one I made above so if somebody reading this hates guns, they could get in there and screw up hours worth of work I did to make that one. It's buried deep in a gun site I frequent but is very accessible to anybody needing that info and used often.
Edit 2: I knew @Tcoat entries would be intimidating. We are lucky to have him in here.

Last edited by Impureclient; 05-04-2017 at 09:02 PM.
Impureclient is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:30 PM   #4
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 49,913
Thanks: 44,658
Thanked 68,465 Times in 31,056 Posts
Mentioned: 1852 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
Just copy and paste the last person who added their name/info into a new post and add your info, then post it.

Maybe just current job or one you feel you can advise about the best. Or Add multiple entries if you are a renaissance man like yourself.
I also have cooked, mixed paint, installed irrigation sprinklers and could probably answer most questions about that too but it's been a while...20+ years ago.

So if you do join in it would look like this with multiple entries:

French fry cook -------- Zeek Smith -------- French fry and onion ring master chef
concrete and travertine pavers, acrylic decking ------- @Impureclient ------- pool deck, driveway, walkway, patio
Exotic Dancer -------- @Tcoat -------- Dancer, stripper, model
Nuclear Physicist ------- @Tcoat ------ Making bombs, yo!

...But edit out what I put in and add your real info unless I got some of that correct.

When I did the Excel thing, I had to add all the info that was already put in a thread, about 100 entries or so so instead of reading through hundreds of posts it was all easy access.
So the sooner this is all accepted, the sooner an Excel spreadsheet makes it easier to peruse the list and find who/what you need. Just copy and pasting the list over and over works really too
as all you have to do is look at the last person who responded and that will be the updated list.
Ah I see. So in theory the list is always at the end of the thread (where most people start anyway). It isn't so much that I have done many jobs just that my title is deceiving and I actually work in many different sub categories. If I broke it all out in details nobody would read long enough to figure what I do know.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:41 PM   #5
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 49,913
Thanks: 44,658
Thanked 68,465 Times in 31,056 Posts
Mentioned: 1852 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Active list: Copy, add info to bottom and post.

concrete and travertine pavers, acrylic decking ------- @Impureclient ------- pool deck, driveway, walkway, patio
Environmental -------- @Tcoat -------- ISO14001, program management, controls, law (USA and Canada)
Occupational Safety------- @Tcoat ------ Systems development, program management, law and compensation (USA and Canada), disability management
Human Resources------- @Tcoat ------ Training and development, interviewing and hiring practices, employee management
Project management------- @Tcoat ------ Budgeting, technical review, monitoring progress
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Impureclient (05-04-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 05:13 PM   #6
IceFyre13th
Senior Member
 
IceFyre13th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Drives: Zoom Zoom
Location: NonYa
Posts: 611
Thanks: 163
Thanked 333 Times in 201 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
let me think, tell the forum my age......what I do........where I work.......what car I drive.....where I live........

What next, my social security number......

Bad idea putting this all out there...............but hey my uncle passed, he was a Nigerian Prince, send me your info and I will let you have his estate worth 5 million pounds.....after a small finders fee of $4013.36 of course, and a courier fee to handle the cash of another 20% of the estate value
__________________
Sold the FR-S, bought a better car.....


And that means the recall is someone else's problem.....
IceFyre13th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:42 PM   #7
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 49,913
Thanks: 44,658
Thanked 68,465 Times in 31,056 Posts
Mentioned: 1852 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFyre13th View Post
let me think, tell the forum my age......what I do........where I work.......what car I drive.....where I live........

What next, my social security number......

Bad idea putting this all out there...............but hey my uncle passed, he was a Nigerian Prince, send me your info and I will let you have his estate worth 5 million pounds.....after a small finders fee of $4013.36 of course, and a courier fee to handle the cash of another 20% of the estate value
Why? I do not see the harm to it.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:02 PM   #8
Impureclient
Senior Member
 
Impureclient's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Drives: 2015 FR-S
Location: NPR, Florida
Posts: 1,556
Thanks: 1,031
Thanked 1,660 Times in 754 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFyre13th View Post
Bad idea putting this all out there.
It's just a possible way to get free advice. If somebody wants to know what kind of base to put down before installing pavers, I'm your guy.
If somebody thinks they can take that info and compromise my life, I'd like to see how that goes down actually. I didn't put my age or profession in the other thread
because it was really pointless. Who cares how old we are or what we do. Unless that is if you need a quick plumbing, electrical, banking, construction question answered.


I did put:
Quote:
Don't put your name on if you don't want to be bothered
so I thought that would cover anybody who didn't want to participate.
Impureclient is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:29 PM   #9
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 49,913
Thanks: 44,658
Thanked 68,465 Times in 31,056 Posts
Mentioned: 1852 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
It's just a possible way to get free advice. If somebody wants to know what kind of base to put down before installing pavers, I'm your guy.
If somebody thinks they can take that info and compromise my life, I'd like to see how that goes down actually. I didn't put my age or profession in the other thread
because it was really pointless. Who cares how old we are or what we do. Unless that is if you need a quick plumbing, electrical, banking, construction question answered.


I did put: so I thought that would cover anybody who didn't want to participate.
The age and profession thread is interesting since if nothing else we know that 80% of the people here are between the ages of 22 and 30 and work in some form of IT.

I thought this was a good idea but guess it isn't going to fly.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:21 PM   #10
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 18,470
Thanks: 12,714
Thanked 16,526 Times in 9,046 Posts
Mentioned: 455 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'll play:

humfrz - retired - I know nothing that is applicable to anything anymore - don't bother me.
humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Atropine (05-06-2017), Captain Snooze (05-06-2017), Cole (05-07-2017), Impureclient (05-05-2017), ScoobsMcGee (05-08-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 09:23 PM   #11
MuseChaser
Wheeeeee Tired!
 
MuseChaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Drives: 2013 FR-S
Location: CNY
Posts: 877
Thanks: 716
Thanked 1,098 Times in 509 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
concrete and travertine pavers, acrylic decking ------- @Impureclient ------- pool deck, driveway, walkway, patio
Environmental -------- @Tcoat -------- ISO14001, program management, controls, law (USA and Canada)
Occupational Safety------- @Tcoat ------ Systems development, program management, law and compensation (USA and Canada), disability management
Human Resources------- @Tcoat ------ Training and development, interviewing and hiring practices, employee management
Project management------- @Tcoat ------ Budgeting, technical review, monitoring progress
Jazz Music Performance and Theory ----- @MuseChaser --- Harmonic and melodic construction, improvisation, arranging
Piano, Violin, Viola, Trumpet, Bass, and Harmonica --- @MuseChaser --- Practice and performance techniques, resources, and instruction
Audio recording and engineering --- @MuseChaser --- Microphone techniques, selection, and placement, signal path optimization, specializing in live-to-2-track location recordings.
__________________
Drive like everyone's life around you depends on it...
MuseChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MuseChaser For This Useful Post:
Impureclient (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 09:25 PM   #12
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 49,913
Thanks: 44,658
Thanked 68,465 Times in 31,056 Posts
Mentioned: 1852 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I'll play:

humfrz - retired - I know nothing that is applicable to anything anymore - don't bother me.
Bull!
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-05-2017), Ultramaroon (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 09:26 PM   #13
MuseChaser
Wheeeeee Tired!
 
MuseChaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Drives: 2013 FR-S
Location: CNY
Posts: 877
Thanks: 716
Thanked 1,098 Times in 509 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I'll play:

humfrz - retired - I know nothing that is applicable to anything anymore - don't bother me.
Actually, can you teach me to do better as a retired person? Even though I've retired from my day gig w/ a pension, I can't seem to stop working and accepting gigs I don't want to do... ?
__________________
Drive like everyone's life around you depends on it...
MuseChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:18 PM   #14
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 18,470
Thanks: 12,714
Thanked 16,526 Times in 9,046 Posts
Mentioned: 455 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
Actually, can you teach me to do better as a retired person? Even though I've retired from my day gig w/ a pension, I can't seem to stop working and accepting gigs I don't want to do... ?
hmmm......looking over your background and experiences, I would suggest that you declare yourself a "consultant". That way, you can adjust your fee to vary the amount of work coming your way.

As far as your gigs ..... heck, I suggest you just accept the ones you want to do.

mrs humfrz, who is also retired, and I spend most of our weekdays with our grandchildren. We don't have to, nor do we get paid for it ..... we do it because we want to.

Retirement should be a time in your life, that you just do what you want to.




humfrz
humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Atropine (05-06-2017)
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Age and Profession Survey Wix Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 2472 06-19-2017 05:55 AM
What is your profession? Jmk91 Off-Topic Lounge 24 10-28-2016 02:57 AM
Mechanic profession, your opinion needed. Mikepage Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 23 09-08-2014 10:44 PM
What's on your list? TheGuyWithTheFireStorm Off-Topic Lounge 5 11-27-2013 07:16 AM
CEL list? draggin_az Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 2 05-14-2013 03:25 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.