follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 09-23-2015, 04:47 PM   #85
P@ul
Apostle

Drives: JesusMobile
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
The same organization that uncovered the VW issue also found that European sold diesel engines from Volvo, Renault and Hyundai also exceeded their advertised emissions by significant amounts. Apparently, there is a chance that all these manufacturers that have been promoting clean diesel have been falsifying. Investigations continue on that front. In addition, the VW scandal is sucking in Audi and Porsche. The A3 is already listed as an offending vehicle and test are being conducted on the V6 diesels used in Audis and the Porsche SUV.

CEO Martin Winterkorn is already gone as the first "heads will roll" victim.

This may be the "tip of the iceberg"!

I can't wait to see a full emissions audit of all on-road diesel vehicles sold in the US. I wonder how the EU is going to approach this.

So sad... I really wanted to see some small diesel pickups. No one's figured out how to pass NOx without urea injection I guess.
P@ul is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P@ul For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-23-2015), Ultramaroon (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 04:50 PM   #86
fang_gt86
FR Noob

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
I bet the CEO of every automaker has called his VP of engineering and asked him to find out if they have any similar skeletons in their closets.
I'd say this is the bright side to this mother of all corporate scheme. VW f*cked up, now the entire auto-makers industry are on their toes lol.

6MT FR-S Whiteout:OFT- OTS V2 Stage 2 (93oct & E85), Tomei UEL, Invidia OP, JDL UltraQuiet FP, Ark Grip catback, GS hood struts, Perrin Inlet & K&N drop-in
fang_gt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fang_gt86 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 05:06 PM   #87
ATaraxias

Drives: 1994 Geo Metro Hatchback
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Actually, in light of the potential effects of the VW system bypass the whole enviro debate is completely on topic. Imagine if all the makers did that?

It would be a terrible world filled with bizarre torque dips between 3-4K and banshee squeal cold starts to warm up the cats as quickly as possible.
ATaraxias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:17 PM   #88
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
http://www.wired.com/2015/09/vw-owne...fixes-diesels/
Article mentions possible fixes. Either some expensive parts or an ecu reflash. The ecu reflash would make the mpg/power go down and then you have the Hyundai/Kia mpg class action lawsuit that happened a few years back.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:20 PM   #89
P@ul
Apostle

Drives: JesusMobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATaraxias View Post
It would be a terrible world filled with bizarre torque dips between 3-4K and banshee squeal cold starts to warm up the cats as quickly as possible.
Don't worry, it's here:
http://www.audi.com/content/com/bran...08/ea-888.html

Quote:
There’s also a special twist to air/fuel mixing in the latest EA888 generation. Whereas most engines draw their air/fuel mixture either via a conventional multipoint injection system in the intake manifold (MPI) or via a modern direct injection system (FSI), here the two methods are combined in a dual injection system that uses the more efficient method of the two, or both in combination depending on load.
P@ul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:30 PM   #90
fang_gt86
FR Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
So does this mean they will offer huge discounts? I wouldn't mind picking up a new golf tdi for super cheap.
Forget discount on a new TDI! People sue Toyota for sticky pedals and GM for faulty ignition. I want a couple million in compensation for having to breath the extra CO. lol

6MT FR-S Whiteout:OFT- OTS V2 Stage 2 (93oct & E85), Tomei UEL, Invidia OP, JDL UltraQuiet FP, Ark Grip catback, GS hood struts, Perrin Inlet & K&N drop-in
funwheeldrive (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 05:38 PM   #91
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
The wife and I were on a one day guided horse back ride in Kashmir. We stopped for lunch and after we finished eating the 2 guides were just going to leave the plastic plates and disposable containers behind. I picked the rubbish up and got a weird look from the guide. I had noticed similar litter every now and then in the valley. I am suggesting that littering wasn't a concept that the guides were familiar with. That is, just leaving one's rubbish was the norm. Now multiply that by a couple of billion people and there is an issue.

"Lung cancer is the most common cancer in China."
"Cancer is now the leading cause of death in China."
http://grist.org/pollution/2011-05-2...eath-in-china/

I have read that the Chinese government is increasing its environmental awareness but I think that economic well being still takes priority and I think at this present time that is still true of governments and people world wide.
Thanks for posting that. Your story reminds me so much of this scene from Mad Men.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhcKuMjvcCk"]Madmen Family Picnic - YouTube[/ame]

Back in the 50-70's almost nobody thought about the trash we leave behind, what was pouring from factories, and out of our cars. There was a slow cultural shift hat helped move the public's opinion towards responsibility for our environment. Remember Iron Eyes Cody, Woodsy the Owl (Give a hoot don't pollute), etc? People fought cleaning up. Still we changed for the better.

This debacle with VW shows me that even though we've come a long way from when it was culturally ok to not just litter but destroy our own environment. It reminds me that corporations absolutely do need rules to help keep them in check.

On another note, I was going to comment on @why? 's ridiculous Judeo-Christian values rant with this that happened today.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXjb8iMAfgM"]Pope Francis: Climate change is a problem - YouTube[/ame]

So question to @why? is, when scientific leaders don't support your beliefs, you refer to religion and values. When the religion and values leaders doesn't support your beliefs then who's expertise do you refer to? Have you ever considered that maybe, just maybe you might be wrong?

Oh btw. VW boned themselves good here. The first shoe has fallen.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVz_h4bjvNE"]Volkswagen CEO Winterkorn Resigns Amid Emissions Scandal - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by DAEMANO; 09-23-2015 at 10:54 PM.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:59 PM   #92
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,318 Times in 4,120 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
@WolfpackS2k said "There's literally no other option."

I disagree.
I remember reading a theory or maybe it is fact that runs something like this:
In the wild when conditions are favourable the animal population will increase. That is, when there's been good rain that spring the grass grows more so there will be more rabbits which supports the increase in fox population. The trees grow more so there are more insects which gives the birds more food to increase their population. More food means more growth. If conditions are not good then there will a contraction in supply which limits or decreases the population.
Name:  19th-century-economics-1011-21-638.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  26.3 KB

Now consider the world's human population. Instead of considering only food also consider energy because it takes energy to make the food. If climate change is real ( I mean real in a modern, on-topic-thread way) and food production starts falling significantly the human population also falls.

tl,dr. The only alternative is not nuclear, there is massive population change too.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:59 PM   #93
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,092 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Unpimp your ride.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWMpHc77qNI"]Volkswagen: Un-pimp Your Ride, compilation. - YouTube[/ame]
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-23-2015), jvincent (09-24-2015), soulreapersteve (09-23-2015), Ultramaroon (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 06:08 PM   #94
fang_gt86
FR Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
@WolfpackS2k said "There's literally no other option."

I disagree.
I remember reading a theory or maybe it is fact that runs something like this:
In the wild when conditions are favourable the animal population will increase. That is, when there's been good rain that spring the grass grows more so there will be more rabbits which supports the increase in fox population. The trees grow more so there are more insects which gives the birds more food to increase their population. More food means more growth. If conditions are not good then there will a contraction in supply which limits or decreases the population.
Attachment 120979

Now consider the world's human population. Instead of considering only food also consider energy because it takes energy to make the food. If climate change is real ( I mean real in a modern, on-topic-thread way) and food production starts falling significantly the human population also falls.

tl,dr. The only alternative is not nuclear, there is massive population change too.
Our success and technological advance in increasing life spam may be a problem someday.

http://www.ecology.com/birth-death-rates/

Tcoat (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 08:01 PM   #95
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fang_gt86 View Post
Our success and technological advance in increasing life spam may be a problem someday.

http://www.ecology.com/birth-death-rates/
Jumping on the off topic bandwagon, our generation (and those to come) need to accept that our living standards are not likely to match those of the baby boomers.

Similarly, we will need to be prepared for the day when current social welfare and pension systems simply become unsustainable due to the decreasing labour force in the western world...

On the other hand, it might be wise to consider buying some VW stock when they eventually pull out of the nosedive.
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daiheadjai For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 08:32 PM   #96
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Unpimp your ride.

You have any clue how many people on here I picture exactly like those Bros?
You know who you are!
Old 09-23-2015, 09:56 PM   #97
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fang_gt86 View Post
increasing life spam
lol

Viva Captain Snooze
Old 09-24-2015, 12:22 PM   #98
fang_gt86
FR Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
Jumping on the off topic bandwagon, our generation (and those to come) need to accept that our living standards are not likely to match those of the baby boomers.

Similarly, we will need to be prepared for the day when current social welfare and pension systems simply become unsustainable due to the decreasing labour force in the western world...

On the other hand, it might be wise to consider buying some VW stock when they eventually pull out of the nosedive.
Reading the statistic makes me wonder how on earth, literally, are we going to manage 10 billion people by 2050 (That's the max capacity the world's agriculture can sustain). Currently there are 7.6b and it's already bad enough. Sh*t, I'll still be alive by then in my late 60s. If all goes well lol.