follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 07-25-2015, 08:05 PM   #1
rennlistuser3

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Fiesta ST Vs. Scion FRS

OK OK before anyone flags me for a re-post, this topic is hot and well worth discussing again to gain new prospective.

I previously drove an FR-S and a focus ST back to back. Absolutely no comparison. The FR-S is a thoroughbred sports car whereas the Focus ST was a jumped up econo car. The things I specifically hated about the FoST is it's steering feeling so dead and the lag in throttle response. Also the interior just felt so big. It didn't feel nor drive like a small car.

The Fiesta ST is a totally different story though. That thing rocks! You can definitely tell the difference in weight between it and the FoST. Throttle response is honestly more instantaneous than the FR-S. And the engine has a whole lot more character too. You just want to thrash the hell out of it. It begs you to drive it hard. The steering wasn't bad. It sucked at low speeds where you get that typical weightless electric steering. But once you're up and going, it does feel good. Ride is as jittery as hell at low speeds but it sorts itself out once you get going and honestly I actually liked that. Keeps you on your toes. Rear seats are definitely usable and gotta love the practicallity of a hatch. The instrument panel sucked. Can't read anything from it. The FR-S does the instrument thing perfectly. The seats were not as instantly fitting as is the FR-S. I loved the interior of the FiST. It felt great compared to the FoST. The interior compared to FR-S doesn't feel like a sports car (low slung) so I guess it's taste. I don't know myself what I would prefer. Low slung is nice but it hurts visibility. One more positive on the FiST, which is controversial, is moonroof. I don't buy into this "lighter weight" crap excuse for the FR-S not having that option and some of us want it very badly. Also FR-S lacking steering wheel controls is a negative. FR-S has a much better shifter, much shorter and much better feeling.

Honestly, I never thought I'd say this, but the FR-S does have a genuine rival in the FiST. In my opinion, there are three cars in this category: Twins, MX-5 and FiST.

Love to discuss this topic so please, your thoughts?

Last edited by rennlistuser3; 07-25-2015 at 08:52 PM.
rennlistuser3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:14 PM   #2
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
there are many aspects to compare cars that would make them in very much comparable and even in the same category but a lot of idealism happens so get ready for the "wrong wheel drive means the car is bad" comments
Old 07-25-2015, 08:36 PM   #3
rennlistuser3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
there are many aspects to compare cars that would make them in very much comparable and even in the same category but a lot of idealism happens so get ready for the "wrong wheel drive means the car is bad" comments
Yup I'm expecting those comment any time now and I'm ready to fight them off. They really don't make sense.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:04 PM   #4
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
The "baby shoe" or Fiesta ST seems like it would be a fun car to hoon in...not much else to say, most here will prefer the FRS to it...

The new Miata, I haven't driven yet, but seems like a great roadster for the price...actually, that's short-changing it, it seems like a good roadster period...but I haven't driven a Miata since the NA
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:09 PM   #5
Fastbrew

Drives: 2014 Pearl White BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Hate to be a buzzkill since you seem to be expecting a lot of discussion on this but -

Get whatever you want. We all drive twins. No one but you is going to lose any sleep over it. If you want to find out what we all think - go look in our member builds threads etc. Or any of the other "86 vs X" threads.

It's up to you to figure out what and why you want it. No one here is going to try to convince you.

Last edited by Fastbrew; 07-25-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Fastbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fastbrew For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (07-25-2015), strat61caster (07-25-2015)
Old 07-25-2015, 09:37 PM   #6
Who8myrice

Drives: Ap2
You can make power cheaper on fiesta st. I drove one when they first came out.
Everybody has different idea of sports car or fun car. Get the one you like best.
I think it is pointless go to car forum and asking these kind of questions.
Who8myrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:46 PM   #7
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
I don't care for moon roof which would raise the weight, roof height or less head room.
I don't care for steering wheel controls, which is good way to make a simple car more complicated and more expensive.
I want the lower seat for the head room. I don't mind the visibility as there is already good visibility for a coupe.
I didn't like the fiesta(i didnt look at the st), how the rear seats did not fold down flat and how you need to remove the head rests before dropping them down.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swarb For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (07-26-2015), strat61caster (07-25-2015)
Old 07-25-2015, 11:55 PM   #8
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennlistuser3 View Post
Honestly, I never thought I'd say this, but the FR-S does have a genuine rival in the FiST. In my opinion, there are three cars in this category: Twins, MX-5 and FiST.
If you're going to include the FiST then check out of the FiST's legitimate competition: GTI, Abarth, Mini Cooper S and if used is ok Mazdaspeed 3 (although with the '15 2.5L Mazda3 in MT may also be a contender).

After spending some time in a FWD that is actually set up to handle, to rotate and perform at the limit of the chassis I have no more prejudices, I will at some point pick up a FWD car (probably Abarth is the scenario makes sense) and have a hoot tossing it around.

This video is what started to shift my perspective, and spending some time in a new Mini Cooper S that's on it's way to being setup to be quite fast it's an astonishing thing:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZN1aP1o_m8"]Drivers Republic - Driving Techniques - Controlling a FWD car with Martin Rowe - YouTube[/ame]

(Worth noting, a new Mini Cooper S will be out the door cheaper than an FR-S at MSRP, it has a fantastic BMW powerplant that makes torque everywhere, 207 ft-lbs of it, about 100 lbs lighter than an 86, and with a good suspension set up on it the car begs to be tossed around. My personal experience is that a Fiat Abarth is the most fun I've ever had on public roads to this day. Never drove the FiST/FoST, GTI or MS3).

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
I don't care for moon roof which would raise the weight, roof height or less head room.
I don't care for steering wheel controls, which is good way to make a simple car more complicated and more expensive.
I want the lower seat for the head room. I don't mind the visibility as there is already good visibility for a coupe.
I didn't like the fiesta(i didnt look at the st), how the rear seats did not fold down flat and how you need to remove the head rests before dropping them down.
I agree with this so much I've spent about $30,000 putting my money where my mouth is over the past 2.5 years.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:14 PM   #9
rennlistuser3

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
If you're going to include the FiST then check out of the FiST's legitimate competition: GTI, Abarth, Mini Cooper S and if used is ok Mazdaspeed 3 (although with the '15 2.5L Mazda3 in MT may also be a contender).

I guess there's a discrepancy on what's considered "legitimate".

In general car manufacturer categories, the Mazdaspeed 3 is a "legitimate" contender to the FiST and the Hyundai Genesis coupe is a "legitimate" contender of the FR-S.

But for car enthusiasts who care about handling and fun first and foremost, then the FiST is a contender of the FR-S more so than the Mazdaspeed. As a matter of fact, you can take this to extremes and say the Pagani Zonda falls in this category while the Spyker doesn't.