follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 08-26-2015, 03:55 PM   #673
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
No it's not, you may pass the broom stick test, but see if NASA/SCCA will approve it for HPDE/TT.

That's why the only "proper" roll-bar (for the NC) is this crazy monstrosity from Flyin' Miata. https://www.flyinmiata.com/nc-transformer-roll-bar.html

The other types sold (like what you have pictured) don't have proper support for the hoops.
yes, that's what I was trying to say; single hoop is required for some organizations and some even requires you a forward brace in addition to the single hoop

I don't recall the rules since I never attended any NASA event with a convertible (only with the BRZ) but most TT cars had full cage vs HPDE cars which makes sense
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to glamcem For This Useful Post:
brzaapi (08-26-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 03:59 PM   #674
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord09 View Post
So in the event of a being rear ended or some other frontal collision, you don't see any safety issue with your head possibly snapping back and hitting the taller aftermarket roll bar? Stock ones are fine since they're so low, it's a non issue.

I'm all for roll bars, but unless you're on the track with a helmet, I wouldn't drive the car without some type of padding on the bar.
I don't see why it would be an issue with higher hoops, keep in mind some BMWs and Audi came with higher roll bars from factory .. I would never consider driving any convertible car with an adequate rollover protection each his own of course

Old 08-26-2015, 04:30 PM   #675
JS + BRZ
Banned

Drives: 2010 MS3
Thanked 1,161 Times in 597 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Damn, that all new TT looks horrible.
JS + BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:56 PM   #676
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,229 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
yes, that's what I was trying to say; single hoop is required for some organizations and some even requires you a forward brace in addition to the single hoop

I don't recall the rules since I never attended any NASA event with a convertible (only with the BRZ) but most TT cars had full cage vs HPDE cars which makes sense
Yep, and from what I understand Good-Win doesn't even offer that setup anymore.

Lack of decent roll bar setup is part of the reason I ditched my NC and got the BRZ..........
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OkieSnuffBox For This Useful Post:
glamcem (08-26-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 08:48 PM   #677
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Yep, and from what I understand Good-Win doesn't even offer that setup anymore.

Lack of decent roll bar setup is part of the reason I ditched my NC and got the BRZ..........
I hear you .. to be honest, I initially didn't really care for the rollover protection as much but after seeing a few crash videos they completely changed my mind
OkieSnuffBox (08-26-2015)
Old 08-27-2015, 11:49 AM   #678
Entroper

Drives: 2019 MX-5 RF GT-S, 2002 Miata LS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post

I haven't seen any regulation that requires a Petty bar (what you pictured). What they do require is bracing on the longitudinal axis, and a Petty bar is one way to do that. The usual way is to have rear supports for the main hoop, which is easy to do on an NA/NB:

On an NC/ND, the top folds differently, and you can't use the same design without removing the soft top. So you see designs like the Petty bar or the removable rear bracing from the trunk linked above.

As far as safety for street use, check out the picture above, and tell me if you think the passenger is safe from hitting their head on the bar. The bar in the picture does have the recommended high-density foam padding, but that's not enough to protect your head in a rear-end collision. You're supposed to wear a helmet or install a seat with a high enough back to protect your head.

This is still, IMO, the twins' biggest advantage if you want your car to serve double duty as a track toy and daily driver.

My personal solution is to keep my NB when I buy an ND next year.
Entroper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Entroper For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (08-27-2015), glamcem (08-27-2015)
Old 08-27-2015, 02:32 PM   #679
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entroper View Post
I haven't seen any regulation that requires a Petty bar (what you pictured). What they do require is bracing on the longitudinal axis, and a Petty bar is one way to do that. The usual way is to have rear supports for the main hoop, which is easy to do on an NA/NB:

On an NC/ND, the top folds differently, and you can't use the same design without removing the soft top. So you see designs like the Petty bar or the removable rear bracing from the trunk linked above.

As far as safety for street use, check out the picture above, and tell me if you think the passenger is safe from hitting their head on the bar. The bar in the picture does have the recommended high-density foam padding, but that's not enough to protect your head in a rear-end collision. You're supposed to wear a helmet or install a seat with a high enough back to protect your head.

This is still, IMO, the twins' biggest advantage if you want your car to serve double duty as a track toy and daily driver.

My personal solution is to keep my NB when I buy an ND next year.
I have no experience with NA/NB but looking at the picture it's easier to see why the denser padding is required

douple hoop bar on my NC miata was a lot more street-friendly but it was also more expensive than "Hard Dog",

also need to add, it's dramatically cheaper to mod an NA or NB compared to an NC Miata, not sure how the ND will be..too bad the new ND doesn't have a special motor like the NC but instead comes with a mass produced low-revving Mazda 3 engine :/

this would be my favorite mod if I ever go back to Miata
http://www.bbrgti.com/product_detail...e=18&model=531
Entroper (08-27-2015)
Old 08-27-2015, 02:56 PM   #680
Entroper

Garage
NC used the MZR engine, which was also the mass-produced Mazda3 engine at the time. The NC2 added forged rods and crank, but the Skyactiv engine has those in the Mazda3 already.

The ND version of the Skyactiv has been tuned for 91 octane. The torque peak is marginally higher, and the throttle response is significantly improved, especially in the low range. There was an interview somewhere with Dave Coleman where he explained that part of the reason for DBW throttle delay is to control detonation from snapping the throttle open too quickly.

EDIT: There's a really good and thorough review of the Skyactiv tech here: http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...echnology.aspx
The Following User Says Thank You to Entroper For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (08-27-2015)
Old 09-03-2015, 08:51 PM   #681
86Tony

Drives: 2015 AOZORA EDITION
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
The answer is always miata

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
86Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86Tony For This Useful Post:
drewbot (09-04-2015), raven1231 (09-04-2015)
Old 09-04-2015, 07:40 AM   #682
Entroper

Garage
Another track, another test, another result:

MX-5 still wins, but by less than an eye blink this time. Pretty cool side by side with a little bit more detailed commentary on how the laps were different.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:24 AM   #683
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:

MX-5 still wins, but by less than an eye blink this time. Pretty cool side by side with a little bit more detailed commentary on how the laps were different.
That was a fun review to watch, someone that gets these cars aren't all about the quickest lap times.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:28 AM   #684
ben721364

Drives: Porsche Cayman, Audi A3
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
That was a fun review to watch, someone that gets these cars aren't all about the quickest lap times.

For sure when the car is sliding sideways it's not advancing.
ben721364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:34 AM   #685
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Nice video. It's amazing to see how much Evo has come around on the Twins. Their initial reviews (especially of the BRZ) were quite harsh. Now you'd think they almost enjoy these cars!

The ND Miata as spec'd in that video seems to be good value. About 2000 GBP cheaper than the GT86, but comes with the torsen limited slip. I wonder if it's the equivalent of the US club spec but at a relatively lower cost.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:02 PM   #686
HUNTERANGEL121

Drives: Red Toaster(Dodge Nitro)
Garage
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=589349

Anyone see this yet?