follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 05-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
denkigrve
Random Internet dad

Drives: 2013 FRS and 2010 Mini Cooper
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
FRS Break-in guide

Does anyone have the break-in guide for the FRS yet?
denkigrve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
Exhaust
UCanThrottleMyBody

Drives: 2015 GM 370z Sport
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
No guide, but its been discussed here. I think the general consensus was that the car was broken in from factory. Anything else is just to make sure. Besides i dont think there would be much of a guide considering the car isnt available to everyone yet. If it'd be anywhere im sure it'd be in the manual.
Exhaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
Genomaxter

Drives: 2013 firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Just look up Motoman's break-in guide. Some people say follow manufacturer's guide, but I wont because its written by lawyers, not engineers. I work for an engineering firm and we re-write things all the time because it keeps us from being liable, not because its better. That what happens when the world is sue happy.
Genomaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Genomaxter For This Useful Post:
Subaruwrxfan (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
stateless
Double Dragon

Drives: 2013 6MT BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
The BRZ manual details the recommended break-in. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4181 The FR-S will be the same.
stateless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genomaxter View Post
Just look up Motoman's break-in guide. Some people say follow manufacturer's guide, but I wont because its written by lawyers, not engineers. I work for an engineering firm and we re-write things all the time because it keeps us from being liable, not because its better. That what happens when the world is sue happy.
for the lazy people

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
azian_advanced (05-10-2013)
Old 05-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
Jeff Lange

Drives: 1986 AE86 GT-S, 2011 Lexus IS250 6M
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 Scion FR-S Owner's Manual (Pub No. OM18012U, pg. 125)
  • New vehicle break-in driving (the first 1000 miles [1600 km])
    The performance and long life of your vehicle are dependent on how you
    handle and care for your vehicle while it is new. Follow these instructions
    during the first 1000 miles (1600 km):

• Do not allow the engine speed to exceed 4000 rpm except in an emergency.
    • Do not drive at one constant engine or vehicle speed for a long time,
      either fast or slow.
    • Avoid starting suddenly and rapid acceleration, except in an emergency.
    • Avoid hard braking, except in an emergency.
      The same break-in procedures should be applied to an overhauled
      engine, newly mounted engine or when brake pads or brake linings are
      replaced with new ones.
Seems to be the same as the BRZ, as expected.

Jeff

2011 Lexus IS350 F-Sport 6MT with LSD
1986 Toyota Corolla GT-S Supercharged
Jeff Lange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
Subaruwrxfan

Drives: 2015 Mustang EcoBoost
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
Very good info. I would follow this process if the BRZ came with dyno oil, but since it's coming from the factory with synthetic, I feel like all of our engines most likely won't get a proper ring seal...
Old 05-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
SkullWorks
Banned

Drives: SSM LT MT BRZ
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
mine will get rotella or Brad Penn Dyno Oil before the first 50 miles are on it.

I may even pick it up on the trailer so I can change the oil before having to drive 10 miles stop and go street traffic back from dealer.
SkullWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaruwrxfan View Post
Very good info. I would follow this process if the BRZ came with dyno oil, but since it's coming from the factory with synthetic, I feel like all of our engines most likely won't get a proper ring seal...
how do you know it comes with factory synthetic? i thought all new cars come with break-in oil to aid in breaking-in the engine.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:01 PM   #10
Subaruwrxfan

Drives: 2015 Mustang EcoBoost
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
how do you know it comes with factory synthetic? i thought all new cars come with break-in oil to aid in breaking-in the engine.
We already had an 8 page discussion about break-in, I'm getting all my info from that thread. Manufacturers don't use break-in oil anymore and the FT86 comes from the factory with synthetic 0W-20 oil.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #11
Dizz1e

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ (WRB)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
"Run it hard from hour 0" is wrong - here's why

The "run it hard" opinion hit a resurgence with a website from an air cooled motorcycle mechanic. Aside from the page being focused on motorcycle engines, his hard break in technique for the street only takes the bike up to 65 mph - that's fast for a bike but not much for a car. Bikes are also thousands of pounds lighter than cars so the engine doesn't have to work very hard if you're driving "normally". Some of the misunderstanding is that one person's babying is another's beating. The advice also says that the critical window of opportunity is only 20 miles or 9 dyno runs, then it becomes 200 miles for the street - which is it? It also says that power loss from an easy break in could be up to 10% while the gain in power as a result of using his break in technique could be up 10%. Call me a skeptic - car makers have done full price + taxes buybacks when horsepower was 5% lower than advertised (RX-8) and it's well known that many engines are underrated in their actual power (335i N54).

The engine in your new car really isn't a brand new engine either - it was already tested at the factory, had its first oil change, driven on a dyno at the factory, on/off the transport, and then around the dealership. In some cases the car was driven to another dealer and test driven by other people. Some high performance cars are even driven hard on a track at the factory for quality control. If the first minutes of engine break in determine the rest of engine life and performance, you already missed it.

Engine break in goals are proper heat cycling, mating of parts, and stress reliving accomplished by incremental increases in varying rpm and load. You definitely don't want to baby the engine but you don't want to beat it hard either. The most important goals are avoiding excess engine wear, idling longer than you normally would, steady rpm, and high load on a cold engine."

Taken from: http://www.myturbodiesel.com
Dizz1e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dizz1e For This Useful Post:
Daedex (02-13-2022), korhun (06-20-2019), StRacngtC06 (01-17-2013), WhiteGDB (05-03-2012), ~el~jefe~ (12-17-2016)
Old 05-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #12
Jeff Lange

Drives: 1986 AE86 GT-S, 2011 Lexus IS250 6M
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
Most new Toyotas and Subarus come factory-filled with 0W20 Synthetic.

Jeff

2011 Lexus IS350 F-Sport 6MT with LSD
1986 Toyota Corolla GT-S Supercharged
Jeff Lange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #13
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
i love the internet, the more you read the more you want to crawl under a rock someplace and just sleep.

my strategy will be to just drive the car the way i normaly drive it around the city, and rip it open during highway merging
Old 05-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #14
SkullWorks
Banned

Drives: SSM LT MT BRZ
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
so let me get this straight....gas burning motorcycle guidelines are useless as a comparison....but turbo DIESEL comparisons are valid?

I'm gonna go with....no,

Stress relieving parts is a process done in production and results in the inherant stresses developed in the part due to machining and material flow during cooling among other things, when you stress relieve a part (usually done with rapid temp extremes ie go from steam bath or boiling to submerged in LN2 or visca versa) it changes dimensions, and not a little bit...if your crank was being stress relieved it wouldn't turn in the bearings anymore.

Piston rings are heat treated to a specific temper to retain their spring characteristic, if they were being stress relieved they would lose their spring (this is why over heated engines often have no ring seal, they exceeded working temp and lose their temper)

in your referenced article the author stated that pistons aren't round and become round under operating conditions.....WTF....no pistons aren't round, intentionally they have clearance to allow them to rock and still effectively seal, but any solid object will expand at a constant rate vs temp, you can't trick the piston into growing into a perfect circle at operating temperature....

the only statement i can't argue with is that break in goal #1 is effective mating of parts, and this is why high cylinder pressure is beneficial it forces the rings against the walls while there is still enough abrasive action to make a proper seal,
SkullWorks is offline   Reply With Quote