follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 05-20-2016, 02:21 PM   #15
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post

You can? Where is this magical land of wonder?
My coworker has one with 32k miles.

I know of at least two others driven by old retirees.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:26 PM   #16
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
My coworker has one with 32k miles.

I know of at least two others driven by old retirees.

-alex
Any of those for sale? If so, how much? Cause that was the point.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:16 PM   #17
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Current sports car bargain of the decade:
NC Miata
I'm seeing decent ones for under $10k, with awesome suspension and dirt simple mechanics it's probably the best beater sports car right now. Yes it's unloved, I've heard aftermarket is weak and it's the heaviest of the Miata's, but it still clocks in under 2,500 lbs and packs 167hp that will take all the abuse you can throw at it.

It looks like it's possible to sell your 86, buy an NC and have nearly $5k to play with. Enough for a supercharger kit. And at the end of the day, no matter what you do to it, if it's still in good condition you'll likely take a smaller loss than you will on the 86.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Why a miata over the fiat abarth?
Because the Miata actually exists today?

The lone advantage the Fiata has over the Miata is the 1.4L MultiAir has been on the road for nearly a decade and it sounds like sex. The good kind. The downside to the Fiata is at 160hp/170 ft-lbs you're taking a big risk on fit and finish of the rest of the car for 10 horses, and ponying up several thousand dollars for it.

If I had to pick one to beat on for countless hours, autocrosses, track days, and then sell it without taking a big loss and not have to scratch my head at an ECU code or make excuses for an aging Italian interior, Miata wins.

S2k is at least $15k for one that isn't trashed, and over $20k for one that doesn't need significant amounts of checking over. Unless there's a legitimate special lust for it, an S2k at that price doesn't make sense to me when there's other options.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
cdrazic93 (05-20-2016), funwheeldrive (05-20-2016), orangespark (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 05:40 PM   #18
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Because the Miata actually exists today?

The lone advantage the Fiata has over the Miata is the 1.4L MultiAir has been on the road for nearly a decade and it sounds like sex. The good kind. The downside to the Fiata is at 160hp/170 ft-lbs you're taking a big risk on fit and finish of the rest of the car for 10 horses, and ponying up several thousand dollars for it.

If I had to pick one to beat on for countless hours, autocrosses, track days, and then sell it without taking a big loss and not have to scratch my head at an ECU code or make excuses for an aging Italian interior, Miata wins.

S2k is at least $15k for one that isn't trashed, and over $20k for one that doesn't need significant amounts of checking over. Unless there's a legitimate special lust for it, an S2k at that price doesn't make sense to me when there's other options.
You bring up good points, but it's not like the Fiat is some far off concept. It sounds like they will be arriving in the states early this summer.

Obviously, the miata's NA engine will be the way to go in terms of longevity, but the Fiata should be superior when it comes to squeezing power out of the engine. A couple of bolt-ons and a tune should make it scoot pretty darn well.

I guess it really depends on what the OP plans on using the car for. Aside from the factory turbo engine, the Fiata looks better (IMO), and if I'm not mistaken has a bit more room for golf clubs or whatever.

Another option that I don't think was mentioned is the Toyota MRS. It might be a little gutless though. What about the Sky/Solstice turbo? Those are pretty cheap considering what you get. No storage space whatsoever though...

Last edited by funwheeldrive; 05-20-2016 at 06:04 PM.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:06 PM   #19
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
You bring up good points, but it's not like the Fiat is some far off concept still. It sounds like they will be arriving in the states early this summer.
Given FCA's track record over the past 5 years 'early this summer' sounds like 'Winter 2016' to me. After all we were supposed to be knee deep in Giulia sedans by now according to Fiat executives last year and yet...

I think the MR-S is past it's prime as an average enthusiast car coming up on 15 years (also why I'm not a huge fan of suggesting S2k) but it's certainly viable if you find one that's been taken care of. But if I was getting something that small and low powered on the cheap, I'd end up in an NB/NA Miata because the support is so much better and the suspension much better suited to dynamic driving.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 07:47 PM   #20
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Given FCA's track record over the past 5 years 'early this summer' sounds like 'Winter 2016' to me. After all we were supposed to be knee deep in Giulia sedans by now according to Fiat executives last year and yet...

I think the MR-S is past it's prime as an average enthusiast car coming up on 15 years (also why I'm not a huge fan of suggesting S2k) but it's certainly viable if you find one that's been taken care of. But if I was getting something that small and low powered on the cheap, I'd end up in an NB/NA Miata because the support is so much better and the suspension much better suited to dynamic driving.
Yeah, I'm just playing devil's advocate. If I ever had to sell my 86 I've thought about buying a NC because no one wants them like you said. It's amazing the deals you can get on one.

The 86 has been out for 4 years roughly and there still isn't a car under 30k that I would rather have. It's an amazing platform that's hard to compete with.

I like the ND/Fiata but I wouldn't spend 30k on a convertible. If I had a bit more money I would consider a Boss 302 though...
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:52 PM   #21
themadscientist
Hotlink Terrorist

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ Spec S
Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,196 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The #1 most beneficial $$ you can spend on this car to go faster is seat time.
Quit trying to out think the engineers and just drive the car.
themadscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:41 PM   #22
Re_Invention

Drives: '22 Tacoma, '19 Macan, '22 BRZ
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
I don't know much about Corvettes but I thought the c6 was a better foundation or starting point compared to the c5z? I'm probably mistaken though.
I would recommend a C6, too. The 08'+ LS3 engine is the more desirable model to nab, make it a Grand Sport and you've got a lot of the C6Z goodies without the LS7 valve issues. But $$$ for that - $35k+. Early model LS2 C6's go for $18-21k all day long with modest miles and have a significantly better interior than the C5 with identical performance and a higher performance ceiling. For a while C5Z's were going for $14-17k which make a compelling argument but I don't think those deals are as plentiful anymore. If you have the means an LS3 Corvette starts around $28k+ and is a "better" car but not a different car than the LS2 vettes. Be sure to grab a Z51 package car and skip the HUD. Awesome value cars and I drool every time I spot a Grand Sport.

I spent months looking for a red interior LS2 with the Z51 package, couldn't find one and eventually opted out of a Corvette due to cramped interior and required too much restraint to drive in a fun groove. Going from a 150 ft lb torque FR-S to a 400 ft lb of torque V8 will be an eye opener if you haven't had seat time with one. You'll be half throttle in second/third gear most of the time with any steering input, on public roads at least. Lots of crash videos on youtube to check out.

OP - what are some other preferences you've noticed over the past year of driving? Do you want more space? More power? Better handling? More luxurious interior? List some likes/dislikes about your current car.

I'll cosign Strat's warning on FCA products - nothing but what's to be expected: poor quality and terrible service. I think anything Italian (even made in Mexico) is awesome as a 2nd or 3rd car but if your livelihood depends on it to work every day there are better options that are just as fun.

I'm also with DarkSunrise - it's nice to try different cars out. That being said, the twins are so damn good at what they do, the only car(s) that would be "better" than an automatic FR-S would be a manual FR-S or Porsche Cayman, in my opinion.

To add to the list some shots in the dark for $25k or less that don't break the bank with DIY upkeep or are known to cause spontaneous agony:

Infiniti G37s/Q60 Coupe
BMW 328i Coupe (solid) or 335i (iffy)
BMW Z4 30sdrive
Mazda Miata NC or ND
370z

Acura TL SH-AWD (hard to find)
VW Golf R
Audi TT/S (iffy)

Mustang GT 5.0
Camaro SS

Cayman/Boxster... with a grain of salt... you'll pay Porsche tax, it's tight and the DIY ain't easy plus there are horror stories of IMS, RMS, cylinder liners cracking, chain tension failures, cracked heads, aos failures and water pump failures. All of it true but not necessarily any more or less than other brands, if that makes sense. In my opinion the only car "better" at what the FR-S does (driver exclusive, high limit, comfortable DD) is a Cayman and you pay fairly for that crown.
Re_Invention is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Re_Invention For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (05-24-2016)

Tags
opinion question car