follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
86SPEED
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-27-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
Mooseknuckle44
Senior Member
 
Mooseknuckle44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: 2013 FR-S
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 451
Thanks: 264
Thanked 117 Times in 81 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Replacement fun?

I hope this is the right place to post this.

I'm a motorcycle guy. Have been as long as I can remember.

But I have children and a wife. Leisurely motorcycle riding takes away from both of those. Anyone with both of those knows that is a recipe for failure.

I don't like to fail. The wife hated that I would go riding(fear of me dying horrifically.) Then the bad Dad vibes creep into my head cause I'm not able to share that with my kids.

I have found that my FR-S, not specifically but in this case, gives everyone a relatively better feeling. My boys love the "cool car" and the wife likes that I'm caged and not so exposed to the dangers of the traffic world.

But I myself have found that I truly enjoy riding around in this sexy lil beast. Turns heads everywhere I go, looks so good, and just generally makes me happy.

For the first time since I was 15(16 years) I don't find myself YEARNING for a motorcycle when I see a group of em go by. I've not gotten the "fever" yet to go for a spirited jaunt thru the mountains. In truth, my FRS will essentially take the curves as fast as I was willing to take them on my crotch rockets anyways. In fairness I was a puss on my bike, but I AM still alive to admit that.

I love motorcycles and I thoroughly enjoy the freedom they represent and the fun they produce. But I believe I can happily say that the 86 gives me a very similar satisfaction in a much safer way.

Flame away if you must. But I hope that everyone enjoys their twin as much as I do.
(Scotch was involved in this post, so you know it was truthful) lol.
Mooseknuckle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Mooseknuckle44 For This Useful Post:
1086 (04-28-2014), Abraxus (04-29-2014), Churnobyl (04-29-2014), CruiseZen (04-28-2014), Fly Guy (04-28-2014), Guff (04-28-2014), humfrz (04-28-2014), italy7 (04-27-2014), kludger (04-29-2014), LXXXV1 (04-28-2014), Mad1723 (04-28-2014), MrAmalto (04-28-2014), racecat (04-28-2014), Rampage (04-28-2014), RRnold (04-28-2014), spdfreak (04-29-2014), Wolfking (04-27-2014)
Old 04-27-2014, 08:58 PM   #2
roddy
Senior Member
 
roddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 2,230
Thanks: 1,449
Thanked 1,144 Times in 678 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I gave up biking a few years ago, and now haunt the twisty backroads I used to enjoy on two wheels, only with the FR-S. No flaming from this direction...
__________________
no man with a good car needs to be justified...
roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to roddy For This Useful Post:
Mooseknuckle44 (04-27-2014)
Old 04-27-2014, 09:23 PM   #3
Muskokan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Drives: white Sport-tech
Location: Ontario
Posts: 678
Thanks: 204
Thanked 318 Times in 149 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
HHAA MOOSEKNUCKLE
Muskokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:26 PM   #4
norm24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Drives: TSX
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 162
Thanks: 27
Thanked 73 Times in 42 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
After 7 years of riding, I finally had my first and possibly last accident on August last year. A truck pulling a boat merged onto my lane without looking. I remember grabbing a handful of brakes, honking and trying to switch lanes to avoid the a**hole. I remember his boat hitting me on the side. And then the next thing I remember paramedics are cutting my clothes off and taking my helmet off. All this at 100kph (At 35, I'm past the stupid phase of motorcycle riding).

Forunatley, I got away with only a concussion, a broken collar bone and a few road rash. I don't have a kid yet but I have a wife who was called by the cops to let her know what happened to me. Imagine the horror of getting a call like that!

This is my second year on my FR-S and first summer without a bike. I gotta admit, I still feel the itch when I see bikes on the road. But I literally just put insurance back on the FR-S. Hopefully, like you, I'll find content on the 86.
norm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:30 PM   #5
Tromatic
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: FR-S
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,232
Thanks: 61
Thanked 1,723 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The FR-S is very much like a motorcycle. Drive it using the same mindset you use when riding and it's even more fun. It's a damn fine little car.
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:30 PM   #6
Mooseknuckle44
Senior Member
 
Mooseknuckle44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: 2013 FR-S
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 451
Thanks: 264
Thanked 117 Times in 81 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by norm24 View Post
After 7 years of riding, I finally had my first and possibly last accident on August last year. A truck pulling a boat merged onto my lane without looking. I remember grabbing a handful of brakes, honking and trying to switch lanes to avoid the a**hole. I remember his boat hitting me on the side. And then the next thing I remember paramedics are cutting my clothes off and taking my helmet off. All this at 100kph (At 35, I'm past the stupid phase of motorcycle riding).

Forunatley, I got away with only a concussion, a broken collar bone and a few road rash. I don't have a kid yet but I have a wife who was called by the cops to let her know what happened to me. Imagine the horror of getting a call like that!

This is my second year on my FR-S and first summer without a bike. I gotta admit, I still feel the itch when I see bikes on the road. But I literally just put insurance back on the FR-S. Hopefully, like you, I'll find content on the 86.
Glad to hear you made it thru okay. There's NOTHING(IMO) that will 100% replace the awesome feelings and freedom that riding provides. But this is as close as I've come so far. I've had 5 bikes and only laid one down once. I was fine, bike was a lil rashed up. My next bike, when the kids are gone, will be a stretched/lowered Busa. Always wanted one, never had the balls to own one.

But I will....oh yes, I will.
Mooseknuckle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:46 PM   #7
Gilwith1l
Senior Member
 
Gilwith1l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: stock brz. saving my money for ls1
Location: central Jersey
Posts: 129
Thanks: 91
Thanked 34 Times in 21 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
love riding my bikes and driving my cars . Idk if i will ever not have a bike but it has to be nice out if you were to catch me riding anywhere on the street
Gilwith1l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:48 PM   #8
Wolfking
Senior Member
 
Wolfking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: Asphalt FRS
Location: OVP, KS
Posts: 609
Thanks: 680
Thanked 193 Times in 134 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Refreshing honesty! My FRS could never compare to my R1... Motorcycling is my spiritual fuel. No car (within reason) could ever fill that void.
Wolfking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wolfking For This Useful Post:
Mad1723 (04-28-2014), RRnold (04-28-2014), tyrantcf (04-28-2014)
Old 04-27-2014, 09:51 PM   #9
phobos512
Senior Member
 
phobos512's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Drives: 2014 FR-S 6MT Whiteout
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 950
Thanks: 234
Thanked 371 Times in 258 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfking View Post
Refreshing! My FRS could never compare to my R1... Motorcycling is my spiritual fuel. No car (within reason) could ever fill that void.
Agreed. The FR-S is great fun but my CBR1000RR is another plane.
__________________
Matt | '14 FR-S 6MT Whiteout | '13 Sonata Hybrid | '11 CBR1000RR
phobos512 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to phobos512 For This Useful Post:
LXXXV1 (04-28-2014), Mad1723 (04-28-2014), Mooseknuckle44 (04-27-2014), RRnold (04-28-2014), Wolfking (04-27-2014), wrussi (04-29-2014)
Old 04-27-2014, 09:57 PM   #10
Wolfking
Senior Member
 
Wolfking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: Asphalt FRS
Location: OVP, KS
Posts: 609
Thanks: 680
Thanked 193 Times in 134 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Well said Phobos!
Wolfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:17 PM   #11
gramicci101
Off Topic
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Location: Vegas, baby!
Posts: 4,610
Thanks: 2,369
Thanked 4,209 Times in 2,164 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I honestly can't relax and explore my boundaries on my bike. I get too worried about what happens if things go wrong and I eat shit. I push my brz a lot harder than I do my bike, because it's not going to randomly slide out from under me if I hit a sandy patch of road.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
Mooseknuckle44 (04-27-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 01:12 AM   #12
Tromatic
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: FR-S
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,232
Thanks: 61
Thanked 1,723 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The FR-S is like a 250. The engine won't save you. I'd rather hop in the car than on the bike, these days.
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:26 AM   #13
RRnold
2 wheel member
 
RRnold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Location: SoCal->NorCal
Posts: 4,308
Thanks: 1,292
Thanked 920 Times in 466 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseknuckle44 View Post
I hope this is the right place to post this.

I'm a motorcycle guy. Have been as long as I can remember.

But I have children and a wife. Leisurely motorcycle riding takes away from both of those. Anyone with both of those knows that is a recipe for failure.

I don't like to fail. The wife hated that I would go riding(fear of me dying horrifically.) Then the bad Dad vibes creep into my head cause I'm not able to share that with my kids.

I have found that my FR-S, not specifically but in this case, gives everyone a relatively better feeling. My boys love the "cool car" and the wife likes that I'm caged and not so exposed to the dangers of the traffic world.

But I myself have found that I truly enjoy riding around in this sexy lil beast. Turns heads everywhere I go, looks so good, and just generally makes me happy.

For the first time since I was 15(16 years) I don't find myself YEARNING for a motorcycle when I see a group of em go by. I've not gotten the "fever" yet to go for a spirited jaunt thru the mountains. In truth, my FRS will essentially take the curves as fast as I was willing to take them on my crotch rockets anyways. In fairness I was a puss on my bike, but I AM still alive to admit that.

I love motorcycles and I thoroughly enjoy the freedom they represent and the fun they produce. But I believe I can happily say that the 86 gives me a very similar satisfaction in a much safer way.

Flame away if you must. But I hope that everyone enjoys their twin as much as I do.
(Scotch was involved in this post, so you know it was truthful) lol.
More power to you but for me, not even a sprinted drive through the canyons in my Supra can't replace the feeling of ripping the throttle on a moto. I don't ride the canyons anymore but a day at the track is enough to quench my speed fix.

__________________

Last edited by RRnold; 04-28-2014 at 01:39 AM.
RRnold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RRnold For This Useful Post:
iff2mastamatt (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 02:04 AM   #14
Smoke Destructer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 104
Thanks: 26
Thanked 32 Times in 25 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I learned to ride something like a year and a half ago, but never did wind up getting a bike. Every time I tried to get one something fell through, and then I got my FRS. Kind of thinking about trying to get a motorcycle in the fall though. I really enjoyed riding the few opportunities I got, I'm just not entirely sure whether I want to risk it out there on the road with all the crazies.
Smoke Destructer is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shortblock Replacement GeekB Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 25 02-04-2014 04:15 PM
FR-S Spoiler Replacement smg1138 Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 2 01-22-2014 06:04 PM
Windshield Replacement shellslinger Southern California 7 07-26-2013 12:48 AM
Foglight replacement help Zadkiel Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 4 08-06-2012 11:11 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.