follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 11-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #85
White Shadow
Banned

Drives: 12,000 miles per year
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yup, I meant as a car brand. I realize Mitsu is into everything else in the world too. They are kinda like GE, but also making cars too.

That said, the future of Mitsu cars is uncertain. I wouldn't be surprised to see them eventually pull the plug entirely.
White Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #86
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Shadow View Post
Yup, I meant as a car brand. I realize Mitsu is into everything else in the world too. They are kinda like GE, but also making cars too.
I figured you'd know that, but I also figured it wouldn't hurt to mention it. I agree -- I always thought GE sucked until I realized how big they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Shadow View Post
That said, the future of Mitsu cars is uncertain. I wouldn't be surprised to see them eventually pull the plug entirely.
They do suck (outside of the cars I mentioned) but I don't see them pulling the plug (at least not within the U.S.) anytime soon. I'd say four or five years at the earliest, if they don't turn things around. Luckily it may coincide with the expiration of my ten-year powertrain warranty.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:18 PM   #87
ryanmatic
Pichu

Drives: 2017 Series.Yellow
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdninja View Post
I'm trading in my 2010 Evo X SE for a FR-S. I only have a few days left with the Evo, but I'm not feeling any regret after test driving the FR-S. The improved DD comfort, gas mileage and overall lower maintenance costs are the big differentiators for me.
Heh, nice to know I'm not the only one who did (or at least considered) that. The Evo is a beast, and I loved it, but I didn't want to keep it as a DD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
^ A lot of it is just the maintenance cost of the TC-SST. I think my dealership charges an additional $200 or something at each major service interval because of it compared to the X GSR (or VIII/IX), though on the bright side, the 4B11 has a timing chain now that doesn't need to be changed, so you save on timing belts.
Yeah, that factored in to my switching to a BRZ, too. The TC-SST is expensive to maintain, and is surprisingly frustrating to daily drive. Everything about the Evo is understandably expensive for a car of its price, especially MPG even when it's driven on the freeway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
So STOCK FOR STOCK.... Which would you say is the all around better car?
Performance wise? The Evo, no question, end of story. From the factory, the car is, seriously, nuts. It's not just that it's quick off the line, but rather that it's quick for everything AFTER that. Once you get comfortable with and fully trust the S-AWC system, you'll feel like superman. Add the dual clutch system into the mix, and all you have to do is point the damn thing. I've never driven anything quite like it. And keep in mind that despite how 95% of Evo owners talk about needing to add more power to the car, it is much quicker than you might think before actually driving it.

For me personally, it didn't suit my driving style well enough. I missed rowing through gears and having a clutch to control, I regretted paying $60 a pop to fuel it for just over 200 miles, and I never quite liked how big and heavy the car felt. It is not a satisfying car to drive the speed limit in, and yeah, U-turns are nightmare level difficulty in it. Plus, 90% of the cargo room is the rear seat since they don't fold down and the trunk is just as small as its stubby little butt makes it look. For each of those reasons, the BRZ is a much, much better everyday car.

I miss my Evo X, but not enough to go back to it.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:45 PM   #88
DeeezNuuuts83

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmatic View Post
Yeah, that factored in to my switching to a BRZ, too. The TC-SST is expensive to maintain, and is surprisingly frustrating to daily drive. Everything about the Evo is understandably expensive for a car of its price, especially MPG even when it's driven on the freeway.
The fuel economy isn't THAT bad, when you consider the power it's packing, how much it weighs and the fact that it has AWD. I broke 30 mpg once (though it was a really boring drive), but on the freeway I can get 24-25 mpg without trying all that hard. I had a tank average above 26 mpg either this past holiday weekend or the one before. Not great, but far from terrible.

Quote:
For me personally, it didn't suit my driving style well enough. I missed rowing through gears and having a clutch to control, I regretted paying $60 a pop to fuel it for just over 200 miles, and I never quite liked how big and heavy the car felt.
If you had gotten a GSR, would you still have gotten rid of it?
Old 11-28-2012, 11:57 PM   #89
ryanmatic
Pichu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
The fuel economy isn't THAT bad, when you consider the power it's packing, how much it weighs and the fact that it has AWD. I broke 30 mpg once (though it was a really boring drive), but on the freeway I can get 24-25 mpg without trying all that hard. I had a tank average above 26 mpg either this past holiday weekend or the one before. Not great, but far from terrible.

If you had gotten a GSR, would you still have gotten rid of it?
Wow, nice! I never got above 23 (rounding up) miles/gallon, and that was during a slow freeway trip. 18-20 was the mean for me. I don't think I have that much of a lead foot... But you're right, totally reasonable economy given that its a AWD track-oriented car.

I actually considered trading down to a GSR, but opted against it for the reasons I mentioned above. If I had picked up a GSR at the start, I probably would've kept it, but my sense is that the manual in the BRZ is much nicer than that in the Evo, stock for stock at least.

Is yours a GSR or a MR?
Old 11-29-2012, 12:08 AM   #90
DeeezNuuuts83

I have a IX SE.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:13 AM   #91
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Drives: EFF JAY
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I don't think I got above 20mpg on a GSR.
iLuveKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:23 AM   #92
ryanmatic
Pichu

Interesting. I thought the 4B11T was supposedly better on fuel economy.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #93
EvoXDD
Trident Motorsports Owner

Drives: DGM. DD for my EvoX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I own both and don't know how many times I have to say this but the Evo is not going away. There has been several announcements that the Evo will live on.

On to the current question. My Evo is a track car and uncomfortable to drive daily. Powerwise at stockish form the Evo just makes the brz look like a bitch. I LOVEy brz limited and hardly ever drive the Evo anymore especially since my brz limited has heated seats and such and it is getting cold, really cold.

If I had to choose right now and had the money I would go with the Evo GSR again. If you want to save cash go with the brz, not frs, and get the limited.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #94
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Drives: EFF JAY
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
^ For which class is your Evo set up?

Last edited by iLuveKetchup; 11-29-2012 at 10:06 AM.
iLuveKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #95
BadLuckZN6

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have an Evo X fq330 sst, Looking at trading it for a BRZ or GT86. Would love to hear from people that have done this. Regrets? I just feel i can have more fun in rwd as i drift and it would also be cheaper to run
BadLuckZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #96
dammitcubs

Drives: 2008 EVO X
Me too. I'm trying to figure out what type of driving experience I want to have for the new few years.
dammitcubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #97
EvoXDD
Trident Motorsports Owner

Drives: DGM. DD for my EvoX
Garage
Quote:
Wow, nice! I never got above 23 (rounding up) miles/gallon, and that was during a slow freeway trip. 18-20 was the mean for me. I don't think I have that much of a lead foot... But you're right, totally reasonable economy given that its a AWD track-oriented car.

I actually considered trading down to a GSR, but opted against it for the reasons I mentioned above. If I had picked up a GSR at the start, I probably would've kept it, but my sense is that the manual in the BRZ is much nicer than that in the Evo, stock for stock at least.

Is yours a GSR or a MR?
Trading down to a GSR? If you bought an Evo in an automatic you weren't looking for a sports car to begin with you were looking for a DD. I don't even know why they made autos.

And if people keep saying that the Evo is getting cut and bla bla bla without proof I will get this thread locked. 6 months or less ago the OWNER of Mitsubishi had a press conference saying otherwise, they were just going to take a different approach with the evo ie hybrid diesel or something game changing, so unless he had a secret conference that only you were invited to please stop making up rumors.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #98
PRORICAN

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
I traded my 08 GSR for a BRZ L and so far I'm not regretting it. I miss the AWD during the winter months and definitely the power. I was tuned on e85 making about 360whp/380wtq so the 200hp brz is SLOW but it's still just as fun! I'm also saving money on car note, maintenance and fuel economy which was a big reason for trading it. I will be going turbo/e85 on the brz so ill get to feel that power again and probably won't miss the Evo at all. Only time and mods will tell...
PRORICAN is offline   Reply With Quote