follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-19-2018, 05:04 PM   #1
SlickWillyFRS

Drives: 13’ JDL FRS, 15’ Cummins JKU
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lightbulb Caught the FRS/GT86 bug. Looking for expert opinion.

Hey all. First of all I want to say thanks for letting me join this community. Please forgive me for any future "newbie" questions. I do realize I could probably find a lot of the answers to my questions by scouring the forums, but I'd also like to ask you guys (and girls) directly.

I've recently caught the FRS bug.. I caught the jeep bug pretty bad, however I am nearing the end of my 2015 diesel jeep JKU build/the next upgrades are pretty expensive and I've got my eyes and heart set on an FRS build.

So.. here are my question for you all.

1. I'm currently leaning towards the +300 kit from Crawford. Have any of you had any experience with it?
I have been in touch with Crawford and I will most likely be purchasing the parts they recommend to include their short block and clutch (at a minimum).

Before I drop an additional 300 hp into the little engine the FRS comes with, I'm gonna have to make sure the rest of the car can handle the extra umph. So my first instinct is suspension and braking.

2. What coilovers so you guys think are the best for multi purpose use out there (DD and occasional track use)? I've looked around and it seems like there is a pretty large consensus that the KW Varient 3's with regards to performance. Are they worth the price tag or is there something else out there that would work fine?

3. Braking, what are you guys running? I don't think dropping 3 grand into Brembos is necessary.

4. Lastly, and more generically, what do you guys recommend? What are the improvements that I can't live without.. the is best cooling, axles, exhaust.. etc. the buy right the first time mods*relatively speaking for multi purpose use*

Again, forgive me on the newbie questions. I know pretty much everything there is to know about the wrangler, but not much of anything when it comes to the FRS.

Thanks so much guys!

_______,,,,,
,/_|""|""\\___\
|/"\ _|_ |/"\,o|||||o
(o)_)-o-(o)_)-o-(o)_) @Mr.dieseljku

Last edited by SlickWillyFRS; 03-19-2018 at 10:32 PM.
SlickWillyFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:54 PM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
You are about to get 400 answers. Half the guys will be experts. The other half don't know shit but are really good at pretending they do. Have fun figuring out which is which.
bkharmony (03-19-2018), Brink (03-19-2018), cjd (03-20-2018), EAGLE5 (03-19-2018), Ehokana (03-19-2018), fatoni (03-19-2018), gutbuster (03-19-2018), Leonardo (03-20-2018), spike021 (03-19-2018), Spuds (03-19-2018), Tristor (03-28-2018), wulfstan (03-20-2018), Yardjass (03-20-2018), Yousend (03-20-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 06:05 PM   #3
GrantedTaken
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
If you are buying a car, and then need to mod the hell out of it, you just bought the wrong car.
If the engine and suspension do not meet your needs, I don't think you've caught the BRZ/FRS bug.
You've caught the modding bug.
GrantedTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GrantedTaken For This Useful Post:
bkharmony (03-19-2018), Cole (03-19-2018), Decep (03-19-2018), NeverInTime (03-20-2018), Rai-zero (03-20-2018), spike021 (03-19-2018), strat61caster (03-20-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 06:50 PM   #4
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
1. Crawford is pretty low on my list of engine builders. Element Tuning is at the top of my list for what you're looking for. I'd also look at just doing an LS swap if you want more than 400 WHP that you can actually use on track. To get 500 WHP "reliable" on track, even after a perfect engine build, takes major fueling and transmission changes. It'll even be tough to get enough cooling on an LS.

2. For coilovers, call CSG and Racecomp. They know the platform best, offer custom products, and can guide you to the right option for you. KWV3 is a fine choice, but there are others. The stock suspension is also great for stock and pretty sticky tires.

3. If you're driving around town, stock brakes are more than enough. For serious track days, look at AP Racing sprint and enduro kits, not Brembo. For newbie track days, high temp fluid and pads are enough.

4. All the direct oil cooling kits are more or less the same. Just different sizes. Exhaust is a matter of taste. Driveshaft shop does axles and such.

I don't own a Jeep, but the requirements of rock hopping are quite different from the requirements of going fast and reliable on the track. I suggest you skip the whole engine mod thing, beyond maybe a tune or flex fuel, and go for brakes, suspension, cooling, wheels, and tires. Add some aero and you will be fast and reliable with a cool, custom car. Engine modding largely leads to headaches.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
bcj (03-19-2018), Cole (03-19-2018), JohnJuan (03-20-2018), Tristor (03-28-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 07:40 PM   #5
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Lol, short block right off the bat. Wtf.

If you're getting a short block and a 300 hp "package" with a turbo kit you're short changing yourself.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:46 PM   #6
SlickWillyFRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Lol, short block right off the bat. Wtf.

If you're getting a short block and a 300 hp "package" with a turbo kit you're short changing yourself.
Could you please elaborate? Thanks
Old 03-19-2018, 08:01 PM   #7
ATaraxias

Drives: 1994 Geo Metro Hatchback
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickWillyFRS View Post

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113511

@Sportsguy83

"My main concern has always been the FA20 at that power level. The only way I would consider the FA20 reliable at those power levels, is getting an engine built by FullBlown or MAP performance or any of these shops, which hover around $6K price tag + shipping, + swapping cost + giving up your engine as a core. This total adds up to close to $10k.

Finally, after you get your amazing built motor, you’re still left to deal with the glass transmission (glass at least at those power levels). Additionally, there are no easy fixes for the transmission. Everything to make it stronger starts at around $6K, plus labor costs and some of the offerings do to rate it past 350 TQ.

Several years ago I went through the forged motor path and know firsthand it can be a rocky one. A number of people don’t realize that building a motor does not mean it will be forever bulletproof, that even at a lower than rated power they can blow by a number of factors. I’ve had to work blood, sweat and tears for a motor and see it blow just a few hours after it got done.

I had been on the brink of doing a swap before but was turned off by the astronomical costs of swapping an engine and especially with the fact of dealing with the CANBUS system in the car.

Crunching out numbers, selling my FA20, glassbox, turbo kit, and added the above value $$, it makes for a reasonable budget to allow for the motor swap. This of course is also made possible because I have a good trustworthy shop, with tons of experience swapping engines and doing custom fab work in KAB Customs.

The only two options on my mind were 2JZ and LS. Bang for buck wise and with my intended N/A build, the LS made more sense to me."

^This.
ATaraxias is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ATaraxias For This Useful Post:
Tristor (03-28-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 08:01 PM   #8
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
A built short block should well exceed a 300hp capability.

Crawford's turbo package is 8k+ anyways I believe. To me spending half the cost of a car on a turbo kit and built short block better deliver more than 300 hp.

I know they supposedly run very safe and reliably, but damn.... better options for the money IMO.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:06 PM   #9
SlickWillyFRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATaraxias View Post
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113511

@Sportsguy83

"My main concern has always been the FA20 at that power level. The only way I would consider the FA20 reliable at those power levels, is getting an engine built by FullBlown or MAP performance or any of these shops, which hover around $6K price tag + shipping, + swapping cost + giving up your engine as a core. This total adds up to close to $10k.

Finally, after you get your amazing built motor, you’re still left to deal with the glass transmission (glass at least at those power levels). Additionally, there are no easy fixes for the transmission. Everything to make it stronger starts at around $6K, plus labor costs and some of the offerings do to rate it past 350 TQ.

Several years ago I went through the forged motor path and know firsthand it can be a rocky one. A number of people don’t realize that building a motor does not mean it will be forever bulletproof, that even at a lower than rated power they can blow by a number of factors. I’ve had to work blood, sweat and tears for a motor and see it blow just a few hours after it got done.

I had been on the brink of doing a swap before but was turned off by the astronomical costs of swapping an engine and especially with the fact of dealing with the CANBUS system in the car.

Crunching out numbers, selling my FA20, glassbox, turbo kit, and added the above value $$, it makes for a reasonable budget to allow for the motor swap. This of course is also made possible because I have a good trustworthy shop, with tons of experience swapping engines and doing custom fab work in KAB Customs.

The only two options on my mind were 2JZ and LS. Bang for buck wise and with my intended N/A build, the LS made more sense to me."

^This.
Hey man, thanks for this!
Old 03-19-2018, 08:22 PM   #10
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey all. First of all I want to say thanks for letting me join this community. ...................Thanks so much guys!

_______,,,,,
,/_|""|""\\___\
|/"\ _|_ |/"\,o|||||o
(o)_)-o-(o)_)-o-(o)_) @Mr.dieseljku
Well, SlickWillyFRS, WELCOME to our fine forum ......

First off, I would like to ask is ...... what do you want to do with your 86 ....??

What do you want it to do that it won't do in its stock form ...??

The answers to these questions will help our "experts" better help you ....

Come back.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Cole (03-19-2018), Spuds (03-19-2018), wulfstan (03-20-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 08:29 PM   #11
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,428 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post

First off, I would like to ask is ...... what do you want to do with your 86 ....??

Come back.

humfrz
Damn, was about to ask the same thing when I read this one. Beat by a fossil, I am ashamed...

But really OP, it really does all depend on what you want your car to be. Showcar, trackday car, etc?
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-19-2018), wulfstan (03-20-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 08:49 PM   #12
SlickWillyFRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post

Come back.

humfrz

Rookie mistake!

First off, I love the idea of an FRS because it is a relatively inexpensive platform that handles exceeding well in the corners.

My jeep has evolved into an impractical daily driver. I mean it gets alright fuel economy at 16mpg weighing close to 3 tons, but its almost exhausting to drive long distances.

I want an FRS that is more or less reliable ( I understand things are bound to break ) But I also want it to have roughly 400-450 horse power. I realize this may seem like an arbitrary number and I suppose I do not have a great reason for justifying it. But I know I don't really need any more than that for how light the car is.

Long story short, a most daily driven vehicle that I can take to the track for some fun. (Yes I know it handles well already at the track, but everyone loves that acceleration)

Thanks for the question!
Old 03-19-2018, 08:56 PM   #13
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Rookie mistake!

First off, I love the idea of an FRS because it is a relatively inexpensive platform that handles exceeding well in the corners.

My jeep has evolved into an impractical daily driver. I mean it gets alright fuel economy at 16mpg weighing close to 3 tons, but its almost exhausting to drive long distances.

I want an FRS that is more or less reliable ( I understand things are bound to break ) But I also want it to have roughly 400-450 horse power. I realize this may seem like an arbitrary number and I suppose I do not have a great reason for justifying it. But I know I don't really need any more than that for how light the car is.

Long story short, a most daily driven vehicle that I can take to the track for some fun. (Yes I know it handles well already at the track, but everyone loves that acceleration)

Thanks for the question!
You feel it needs almost triple the WHP? You don't feel you "need" more than that?
You are describing a dedicated drag car for that level of power not a reliable mostly daily driver.
As far as inexpensive goes you will need to more than double the price of the car to hit those levels.
bkharmony (03-19-2018), Cole (03-19-2018), HKz (03-20-2018), Spuds (03-19-2018), Tristor (03-28-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 08:57 PM   #14
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,239 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Rookie mistake!

Thanks for the question!
You are obviously rich, and unrealistic. You are a jeep guy? Yea, there are a lot of similarities, coming from a guy that built FSJs. There is no similarity.

Get an education before you start anything. I think you are fake.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
bkharmony (03-19-2018), Cole (03-19-2018), HKz (03-20-2018), Tcoat (03-19-2018)