follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
Gost

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Question for sales/finance people

Currently have a thought floating in my head. This question goes to anyone on this forum who may work at a dealership or deal with finance that may be able to answer the question. Basically the finance manager at my dealership conned me into buying the theft replacement insurance, which was my fault for not looking over everything first before making a slightly hasty decision. Basically I was wondering if it was possible for me to cancel the insurance for it in the future. I asked the dealer but they stated that once the vehicle is off the dealership, the VTR protection is in effect and cannot be canceled. I just wanted to verify this because I really don't need this insurance.
Gost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
Chimpo

Drives: '15 STi Ltd
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Did you read the paperwork? I'm assuming you have it, and it should state the fine details.
Chimpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
bakerr6

Drives: 2013 raven black fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
when did you buy it? This should be just like any other insurance product, as that you should be able to cancel it within a certain time period.

I would not try to deal with the dealership, but call the company that they are selling the plan for.

Also, post the dealer on here so others know not to shop there
bakerr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
My dad is the financial manager at Lexus in Omaha. I'll ask him about it.
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
shawnperolis

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S MT "Panda"
I am pretty sure full coverage insurance covers theft... Seems pretty shady that the dealer pushed that on you.
shawnperolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
Beyer Subaru

Drives: 2013 BRZ SWP 6AT Ltd
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gost View Post
Currently have a thought floating in my head. This question goes to anyone on this forum who may work at a dealership or deal with finance that may be able to answer the question. Basically the finance manager at my dealership conned me into buying the theft replacement insurance, which was my fault for not looking over everything first before making a slightly hasty decision. Basically I was wondering if it was possible for me to cancel the insurance for it in the future. I asked the dealer but they stated that once the vehicle is off the dealership, the VTR protection is in effect and cannot be canceled. I just wanted to verify this because I really don't need this insurance.
I just talked to one of my Finance Managers here at my store. He said that they are non-refundable. This is applicable only to us here at my store in VA. But my Finance Mgr did reference LoJack and they are a national company.
He said that our VTR plans are for life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerr6 View Post
when did you buy it? This should be just like any other insurance product, as that you should be able to cancel it within a certain time period.

I would not try to deal with the dealership, but call the company that they are selling the plan for.

Also, post the dealer on here so others know not to shop there
Why do you instantly blame the dealer without any facts or information?
Beyer Subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #7
Gost

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Bay Ridge Toyota. I mean the salesperson I dealt with was great. Worked around my schedule, was very helpful explained the entire process. It was the financial manager I had a serious problem with. The only impression I got off him was that he was trying to sell me shit. He wasn't very experienced at using a PC either. He kept jamming on the keyboard wondering why the numbers wouldn't show up until I told him the numberlock was off. Im going back to the dealership today because after looking over all the paperwork, the numbers seem to be off.

I contacted scion directly and told them the issue. They opened a case with the customer relations manager over at the dealership so I'll wait to hear from them.

My discrepancy also with this was the finance manager never explained to me exactly how much it would cost or what it would cover. Every time I asked him how much a packaged would cost, he would just tell me how much I would pay each month. I can do the calculations in my head but I don't like being jerked around like that.
Gost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
bakerr6

Drives: 2013 raven black fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyer Subaru View Post
I just talked to one of my Finance Managers here at my store. He said that they are non-refundable. This is applicable only to us here at my store in VA. But my Finance Mgr did reference LoJack and they are a national company.
He said that our VTR plans are for life.

Why do you instantly blame the dealer without any facts or information?
I didn't blame the dealer for anything, all I said is I would stray away from trying to deal with the dealer, because after they sell it, they do not care what you do with it later. I do not fault the dealer for anything, I just said I would state the name of the dealer so people know what to expect when they are trying to sell addons.

While Beyer subaru may use a company that requires you to keep the plan, the dealer I worked for (according to the finance manage that's still there) said that they are required to provide a 90 day window. He also said the contract is on a state-by-state basis, along with a company basis. They do not use LoJack
bakerr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Every time I asked him how much a packaged would cost, he would just tell me how much I would pay each month. I can do the calculations in my head but I don't like being jerked around like that.
Common sales tactic. Reprehensible, in our opinion.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
Beyer Subaru

Drives: 2013 BRZ SWP 6AT Ltd
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Bay Ridge Toyota. I mean the salesperson I dealt with was great. Worked around my schedule, was very helpful explained the entire process. It was the financial manager I had a serious problem with. The only impression I got off him was that he was trying to sell me shit. He wasn't very experienced at using a PC either. He kept jamming on the keyboard wondering why the numbers wouldn't show up until I told him the numberlock was off. Im going back to the dealership today because after looking over all the paperwork, the numbers seem to be off.

I contacted scion directly and told them the issue. They opened a case with the customer relations manager over at the dealership so I'll wait to hear from them.

My discrepancy also with this was the finance manager never explained to me exactly how much it would cost or what it would cover. Every time I asked him how much a packaged would cost, he would just tell me how much I would pay each month. I can do the calculations in my head but I don't like being jerked around like that.
Guy sounds like a real tool. Good job on filing a claim and having Scion involved. Good Luck and let us know how things turn out.
Beyer Subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #11
Bruce125

Drives: '13 FR-S Whiteout M/T
I've cancelled extended service contracts before but I'm not familiar with that theft coverage, sounds like what they wanted me to get when I bought the FR-S.

It's a common sale technique to break down the cost of extended coverage into monthly payments though. A customer is more likely to buy something that is "just about a dollar a day" than something their told costs over $2000. It's easy to get caught up in the excitement of buying a car and start adding stuff on cause it sounds good. I learned long ago though, just say NO lol. It's a huge money maker for dealership, they probably make most of their profit there so I'm not gonna blame them for trying but I'm not buying any of it.
Bruce125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #12
immortal_suby

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I had my smartphone in hand and a loan calculator app open while working with the finance mgr. Every time he tried to sell me on something; extended warranty, maintenance, theft insurance, gap insurance, road hazard, appearance protection, etc. I would figure out the total cost difference from his $/month figure.

It made it easy to say no when I could tell him that the extended warranty he was trying to sell me would be half the price from SOA and that the maintenance cost was way more expensive than doing the oil changes myself, etc.

Poor guy - exasperated, he finally said "you're an engineer, aren't you" and then he just crossed out all of his offers and finished the deal.
Attached Images

bestwheelbase (02-27-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #13
leon78

Drives: 13 Whiteout
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
^How the fuck are you paying $470 for 72 months then...? lol
GunMetal 16x8+25 Enkei CompE_Cusco OCC_ Kartboy Crank Pulley_Kartboy TMM insert_Koni Yellows_RCE Springs_K&N Drop-In_Eibach FSB_J2 Catless FP_WhiteLine Camber Bolts_NameLess Track Pipe_RBF600_Ferodo DS2500_PTUNING Tuned.
Less parking more racing
leon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #14
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by leon78 View Post
^How the fuck are you paying $470 for 72 months then...? lol
If you finance $30k for 72 months with 4% interest, that's around how much the monthly would be. I'm guessing he financed 100% of BRZ Limited w/ MT.
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sigh-on-Rice For This Useful Post:
leon78 (02-27-2013)