follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 11-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #29
Mr.
Supra Senior Member

Drives: AE86 & BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Hey, I love that spoiler.

It is just a bit bigger than the STI BRZ

I am not 100% sure BUT it looks like siebon

http://seiboncarbon.com/store/gt-sty...ubaru-brz.html

and I wanted that spoiler ^^^^^^
Subscribe
Mr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #30
Hanni_0176

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl View Post
The thing about wings is that the bigger they are, the more downforce they make. That wing looks like it has a pretty decent airfoil cross section, along with good sized endplates to minimize vortex formation, increase downforce, and decrease drag, so there's not a lot to be gained by simply making that wing more efficient. Going to a smaller/less obnoxious wing probably couldn't be done without decreasing downforce (aside from maybe using a fairly complex multi-element airfoil, but even that might only increase the lift coefficient by 50% or so at most, and it would look just as obnoxious visually). In other words, if the car is tracked, and that wing was put on to improve downforce, a significantly smaller one would not be a viable substitution for similar performance. Yes, it looks obnoxious, but if the car is tracked, I think it's a justifiable performance upgrade.

Actually, come to think of it, I'm surprised that multi-element airfoils aren't more common among the larger wings available for cars. They can be significantly more effective than a single element airfoil of the same size. Here's what I'm talking about, for anyone not too familiar with aerodynamics:

As with anything in life, there is a such thing as too much. Whether or not that Wing is or isn't unbeatable for the amount of downforce it provides, it seems a bit unnecessary. Maybe on a car that can hit 200 mph on the straights, but the max speed possible without changing gear ratios for our cars is 168 mph, and unless he is making a ton of power, the car isn't hitting 168 mph anyway. Also, even if the car could hit max speed, I doubt it would be doing it on straights at the track.

On top of all of that, there is a downside to having a big wing like that... which is the fact that it adds additional weight, and reduces acceleration at low speeds.

Just sayin.
Hanni_0176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #31
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Obviously the owner of the car likes that wing and is willing to put up with the cost and any downsides of equipping it. That is all that matters.
Rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rampage For This Useful Post:
switchlanez (11-03-2013)
Old 11-03-2013, 10:25 PM   #32
pche
Guy on internet

Drives: Slowly
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
How are the TRD fender fins "functional"?? Please don't tell me they save weight.... Oh and the big wing is the definition of "rice"...
pche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:33 PM   #33
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pche View Post
How are the TRD fender fins "functional"?? Please don't tell me they save weight.... Oh and the big wing is the definition of "rice"...
How are the TRD fender fins NOT functional? Please explain that to me.

I'm not TRD nor do I have access to test data but here's some background from the chief engineer of this car and it's aero stability. Skip to 3:02:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97ISMCrXIAE"]Interview with Mr. Tetsuya Tada, Chief Engineer of Toyota 86, Scion FR-S, Subaru BRZ Cars - YouTube[/ame]

Fins were part of the functional mods on the following build w/ no weight spared to achieve this feat: http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...uto-salon.html

Testament to stock aero stability on the track from a guy not affiliated w/ Toyota on the vs. S2000 thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG David View Post
On top of that, the BRZ/FRS does things very well that the S2000 may struggle a bit. That is being incredibly stable in high speed cornering. ...it really makes up for the severe lack of power by having an extremely low drag and balanced aero. Ask us how we know...
I'll err towards believing the aero parts that their tuning arm [TRD] develops and tests on track well before they're available to the public have some function to them. The aero of this car comes from the same company that made the Prius and LFA. Please tell me you understand there's a connection between those cars and industry-leading aerodynamics.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:41 AM   #34
chrisl

Drives: 2006 Cayman S, 2007 Outback 2.5i
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni_0176 View Post
As with anything in life, there is a such thing as too much. Whether or not that Wing is or isn't unbeatable for the amount of downforce it provides, it seems a bit unnecessary. Maybe on a car that can hit 200 mph on the straights, but the max speed possible without changing gear ratios for our cars is 168 mph, and unless he is making a ton of power, the car isn't hitting 168 mph anyway. Also, even if the car could hit max speed, I doubt it would be doing it on straights at the track.

On top of all of that, there is a downside to having a big wing like that... which is the fact that it adds additional weight, and reduces acceleration at low speeds.

Just sayin.
Actually, it's exactly the opposite: a slower car needs a LARGER wing to be effective, since the airflow isn't going as fast. Yes, it adds drag, but on most racetracks, the added drag won't be nearly as significant to laptimes as the added corner speed due to the extra grip (assuming the car is properly setup for the new aero).

As for this comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer 2.5 View Post
That wing? RICE... Doesnt even have an aero-kit, diffuser, or coilovers (challenge that). It's also way to large for the BRZ, as it won't be effective at that size. Maybe it will help in the winter by adding uneccesary weight to the back!
A diffuser and aero kit is dramatically overrated - you won't get nearly as much downforce from a couple of side skirts or a diffuser as you will from a BFW on the trunk. Yes, underbody aerodynamics are important, but you would need to put in an enormous amount of effort to make them effective, since they are highly dependent on the entire underside of the car. To make large amounts of downforce with underbody aerodynamics would require pretty much a complete redo of the bottom of the car, front to back, and you'd probably have some issues with exhaust heating if you did so. A wing is comparatively cheap and simple, and allows for easy adjustment of downforce (as well as the corresponding drag) to allow for both high speed and twisty tracks. Also, as stated above, it will be plenty effective at that size - a larger wing is always more effective, and a slower car needs a larger wing in order for it to have any effect at all.

Coilovers though are a decent investment for someone tracking their car a lot. That car may well have them though - I don't know why you think it doesn't. Ride height isn't necessarily a dead giveaway, especially if the coilovers were added for performance rather than appearance. In fact, if the person wanted to maximize track performance without compromising drivability or ground clearance, that could also explain the lack of a front splitter and diffuser, though I'll admit I'm just speculating at this point.
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chrisl For This Useful Post:
Ganthrithor (11-12-2013), PoorMansRacing (12-26-2013), TheLaughingMan (12-26-2013), Tristor (03-21-2018)
Old 11-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #35
campy
No rice, no life

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Thanked 1,019 Times in 388 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Look at this rice-a-roni

coilovers, big wing, shiny wheels, tow hook. all dumb cosmetic mods

/s
campy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to campy For This Useful Post:
636 (12-02-2013), BlueDubbinTDI (11-10-2013), chrisl (11-04-2013), CSG Mike (11-04-2013), DoomsdayJesus (11-04-2013), Ganthrithor (11-12-2013), JesseG (09-04-2019), juliog (11-07-2013), LeeMaster (12-27-2013), Mr. (11-04-2013), TeamZleep (11-05-2013), Tristor (03-21-2018)
Old 11-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #36
DoomsdayJesus
In Autobahn withdrawl

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited Man., WRB
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
Look at this rice-a-roni

/s
Probably not even a real track, photoshopped from a picture in his mom's driveway.
DoomsdayJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DoomsdayJesus For This Useful Post:
campy (11-05-2013), Ganthrithor (11-12-2013), GTHachiRoku (11-08-2013), Marchy (11-05-2013), Tristor (03-21-2018)
Old 11-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #37
Hanni_0176

Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post

Look at this rice-a-roni

/s
No one said that coilovers or shiny wheels were rice. Mods that alter the car cosmetically aren't inherently ricey, either. Mods that alter cosmetics and performance, like coilovers and lighwheight wheels, are perfectly acceptable.

The only issue that most of us had was how ricey looking the wing was, because it's very radical design. If the person with that wing actually uses it at a race track, then I personally wouldn't consider it rice... but when I see a car on the road with a big ass wing (like the one shown in the pic), my first thought is rice.

If I was going to get a wing for the track, I'd try to find one that wasn't as flashy. That's my personal opinion, though.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #38
Hanni_0176

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
How are the TRD fender fins NOT functional? Please explain that to me.

I'm not TRD nor do I have access to test data but here's some background from the chief engineer of this car and it's aero stability.
Personally, if I was going to mess with that area, I'd be looking at turning it into ventilation. There is someone here on the forums that did this to there car... I think I saw the pics in the Track section. The heat reduction seems far more useful for the track than the minor* aero you would gain from the fins.

*I say minor, since the amount of aero from a wing, front lip, and rear diffuser should be adding enough downforce without the fins.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #39
Seattle_FT86
Import Chick

Drives: 2013 FRS
Though im a fan of Fast and the Furious.... coincidentally when Fast and the Furious debuted in 2001 I noticed an increase in UN-warranted mods particularry in hondas..not to say it wasnt like that before and maybe the movie brought it to my attention that there where a lot of ricers around me.... Still, its a pandemic and take caution
Old 11-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #40
FloridaBRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6sp DGM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I think its personal preference. If you like it, then screw what everyone else says. Personally I am a function over form guy. Id rather skip the neons and cosmetic mods and save for quality parts that actually increase the fun that I get from my car. Just wish there was a mod to get rid of the crickets...........
FloridaBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FloridaBRZ For This Useful Post:
Deep Six (11-06-2013), MysteryMachine (12-01-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #41
Diode Dynamics

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,761 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayme View Post
Angel/halo eyes = Rice

Lol

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Diode Dynamics For This Useful Post:
Aipex8 (05-14-2018), Bad Habits (11-05-2013), LeeMaster (12-27-2013), Mr. (11-04-2013), Tagera (11-05-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #42
Seattle_FT86
Import Chick

Drives: 2013 FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBRZ View Post
I think its personal preference. If you like it, then screw what everyone else says. Personally I am a function over form guy. Id rather skip the neons and cosmetic mods and save for quality parts that actually increase the fun that I get from my car. Just wish there was a mod to get rid of the crickets...........

Some people are having luck with replacing the pump under warranty, others are still stating they are hearing it

Bad Habits (11-05-2013), Mr. (11-04-2013)