follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-10-2014, 06:28 PM   #15
ciro

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I would have an honest talk with the manager. I was not very happy with my sales rep promising things that the finance manager said I couldn't get for the price I was promised. I highly suggest not starting out angry and have them explain everything clearly. if things don't add up explain what was promised to you and request a solution to this issue. You wont get far with legal help initially nor get back the expense a lawyer costs. If you play your cards right and explain your situation calmly they will be more willing to work with you. Perhaps you could get more mile allowance or more then 3 free maintenance visits. Its not much but you would be getting more for your money. you got tier 3 or worse for your leasing option which could still be negotiable because of the lies the stealership told you.

Did you pay the extra $500? I highly doubt you will have to pay that amount. Toyota is notorious for having stupid sales reps.

Good luck, The car is worth the cost.
ciro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:51 PM   #16
Davev
TuRD

Drives: FR-S Mono Mt Fuji Red
Garage
I had a salesman tell me I could have free car washes for life if I bought the car I was looking at. He noticed the truck I was driving was dirty too, so he said he'll wash that one for life, too.

When I stopped by for my first free car wash= they were like "Who told you that?" "We don't ever do that".

So I said I was leaving the car there and would be back in 2 hours to pick it up clean or if not clean I'd be calling the State dept of commerce. I made sure they understood I was serious. That must be your mantra.

It was very clean. And they always are very clean ever since-- they moan and groin every time I show up-- but they do a good job. :-)
Davev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:05 PM   #17
lantsalot
Derp

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davev View Post
I had a salesman tell me I could have free car washes for life if I bought the car I was looking at. He noticed the truck I was driving was dirty too, so he said he'll wash that one for life, too.

When I stopped by for my first free car wash= they were like "Who told you that?" "We don't ever do that".
A sales guy did that to my mom, promising her free tires for life. She now gets free tires for life and that guy is no longer a salesman at that dealership.
lantsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:11 PM   #18
Havsie

Drives: 13 FR-S Whiteout 6MT
390/mo and 2000 down should put you into a way better car than a FR-S...

Those lease number almost seem like finance numbers
Havsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:31 PM   #19
Sandy209

Drives: Raven FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciro View Post
I would have an honest talk with the manager. I was not very happy with my sales rep promising things that the finance manager said I couldn't get for the price I was promised. I highly suggest not starting out angry and have them explain everything clearly. if things don't add up explain what was promised to you and request a solution to this issue. You wont get far with legal help initially nor get back the expense a lawyer costs. If you play your cards right and explain your situation calmly they will be more willing to work with you. Perhaps you could get more mile allowance or more then 3 free maintenance visits. Its not much but you would be getting more for your money. you got tier 3 or worse for your leasing option which could still be negotiable because of the lies the stealership told you.

Did you pay the extra $500? I highly doubt you will have to pay that amount. Toyota is notorious for having stupid sales reps.

Good luck, The car is worth the cost.

I didnt pay the $500. I'm going in to talk to them later this week. My 2 options are basically take it or leave it. What are the odds that I will get my full $2000 down payment back? Since the car is technically 'used' now what are the ramifications? Im willing to walk away ONLY if I get my full downpayment back. I kept copies of everything. Signed by me and them. Ugh...these guys are pricks.
Sandy209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:32 PM   #20
Sandy209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havsie View Post

They told me it was the best I could get for my credit score...What do you think? Im new to all this stuff. Do you mind sharing your numbers?
Old 09-10-2014, 08:16 PM   #21
ciro

Drives: Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy209 View Post
I didnt pay the $500. I'm going in to talk to them later this week. My 2 options are basically take it or leave it. What are the odds that I will get my full $2000 down payment back? Since the car is technically 'used' now what are the ramifications? Im willing to walk away ONLY if I get my full downpayment back. I kept copies of everything. Signed by me and them. Ugh...these guys are pricks.
You have signed a legal document which is binding for both parties nothing can be changed after the fact unless both parties sign off and agree to the changes.

The longer you wait to talk to them the worse it will be. If I were you I would take the day off and go deal with this tomorrow. Call ahead of time and set up an appointment with the General Manager about this situation but make sure to set it up with him/her and let them know what you will be talking about. If you cannot come to an agreement ask them to give you a loaner car and they can keep the FRS until you get this issue resolved or stop driving it now, this will keep them from being able to charge you mileage fees. Write down how many miles it has or tell them you will tow it to the dealership. Contact the Attorney General about your issues if they are being foolish and don't listen. This is a situation that can be taken very seriously by the Attorney Generals office and cause great expense on businesses even if they win in court. Any thing you are not aware of that you could have agreed to in the leasing agreement have them show it to you specifically and walk through it together.

If you end up deciding to return the car, make sure you get in writing that you will receive your full refund within a reasonable amount of time, no longer then a month or so. If they refuse to agree to these conditions put your monthly payment and the 500 in escrow until the situation is resolved. If this does become a sh!t show call Toyota and tell them your situation, follow up with an email stating the same thing you told whoever you spoke with. I highly doubt you will be forced to go this far but never get angry or rude. Be direct and tell them your displeased and what you want to make the situation completely go away. Know what you want before you go to the dealer. Keep asking questions until you have all the info you need to make a decision. Asking questions like why are there extra expenses that were not disclosed at the time of signing will quickly put an end to this issue and should be asked. It wouldn't hurt to voice record your conversation but let them know you are doing so before you start or it will be useless if it does need legal action.

Small disclaimer I am not a lawyer or pretend to be one on tv but I do have some great business experience that I have seen and been part of that are very close to this one. Getting angry always is the end of any conversation. Businesses will always try to resolve the issue with the least amount of money lost.

Keep a business mind. Don't allow them to get what they want unless you signed off on it initially.
ciro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ciro For This Useful Post:
CO777DAL (09-11-2014), Rio (09-11-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 12:56 AM   #22
Turbo95eg6

Drives: 2014 BRZ SWP LTD
Thanked 2,266 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Were you really planning to film the whole entire car?
Turbo95eg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbo95eg6 For This Useful Post:
Jlin (09-11-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 12:59 PM   #23
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Yeah my purchase numbers are better than those lease numbers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havsie View Post

Yeah my purchase numbers were better than those lease numbers, that's insane.

Walk away, and don't tell the next dealership what your terms were until they offer you terms..just tell them it wasn't right and tell them what you want included, IN writing and make sure they show you in writing what they are including..

I just refi-ed my house and several of the potential agents kept asking me what my current rate is...

I said, if you can't quote me without knowing my current rate, then we can't do business. There is absolutely NO reason for you to need to know my current rate except to give me the highest rate you think you can get away with... Ain't gonna happen.. Quote me and THEN I'll tell you what my current rate is. Several lenders wouldn't quote me, I told them to suck me and have a nice day...

Jaden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaden For This Useful Post:
continuecrushing (09-11-2014), lantsalot (09-11-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 01:07 PM   #24
eikond
Wish Nissan made one

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I would be more worried about the lack of GAP insurance than I would about the paint protection. Dealer installed paint protection is usually a scam anyway. But having a lease without GAP insurance is a huge risk and a very bad idea.

If they try to cancel the deal, then give them the keys and get your $2k back and walk away.. no harm done. Go find a better deal somewhere else.

I'm with the others above who are wondering why you would spend the money on paint protection on a leased car. Seems like wasted money to me.
eikond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:29 PM   #25
Sandy209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Yeah my purchase numbers were better than those lease numbers, that's insane.

Walk away, and don't tell the next dealership what your terms were until they offer you terms..just tell them it wasn't right and tell them what you want included, IN writing and make sure they show you in writing what they are including..

I just refi-ed my house and several of the potential agents kept asking me what my current rate is...

I said, if you can't quote me without knowing my current rate, then we can't do business. There is absolutely NO reason for you to need to know my current rate except to give me the highest rate you think you can get away with... Ain't gonna happen.. Quote me and THEN I'll tell you what my current rate is. Several lenders wouldn't quote me, I told them to suck me and have a nice day...

Jaden
Quote:
Originally Posted by eikond View Post
I would be more worried about the lack of GAP insurance than I would about the paint protection. Dealer installed paint protection is usually a scam anyway. But having a lease without GAP insurance is a huge risk and a very bad idea.

If they try to cancel the deal, then give them the keys and get your $2k back and walk away.. no harm done. Go find a better deal somewhere else.

I'm with the others above who are wondering why you would spend the money on paint protection on a leased car. Seems like wasted money to me.
The salesperson was telling me thats the best rate I could get. It started off in the $400s range. And then they were like...We'll throw in Paint protective film, and take $1,000 off the MSRP for you. It seemed like they really wanted me to get it. :/
Old 09-11-2014, 01:33 PM   #26
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
They ALWAYS really want you to get it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy209 View Post
The salesperson was telling me thats the best rate I could get. It started off in the $400s range. And then they were like...We'll throw in Paint protective film, and take $1,000 off the MSRP for you. It seemed like they really wanted me to get it. :/
A lot of the time, the salesman won't even talk price with you, they'll say what do you want to spend a month???

Then they've got you... Don't let them ask you leading questions like that... Make them tell you what they can do for you, then push down from there...

Jaden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:33 PM   #27
TrqlessWonder

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by eikond View Post

Never leased a car, but from what I recall, when you lease a car, you do offer up a security deposit. Car comes back all scuffed and stone-chipped, and the dealer takes more of the deposit than they should..like pay for a full front respray, and then only DRColorChip it.

The terms of the OP's lease almost amount to usury, though. Granted, our credit situations are different, but I'm financed within 5% of that payment, with the powertrain warranty extended out to 6/100. 2500 down, 3300 in trade..out-the-door...tax, title, tags, everything.

But, there is some incompetence/under-handedness in most deals. You should go directly to Toyota with a complaint. I didn't need to, when the dealer sent in my signed finance paperwork, about a week later I got a letter from Toyota Financial telling me about the error in the terms, and that they already changed them in my favor to what it should have been. Pleased with Toyota for that.
#24 CS/CSR
TrqlessWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #28
gtslow

Drives: 2015 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I thought the FR-S was supposed to be leased under Scion Pure Lease and they were very up front with the pricing and rates. When I looked it wasn't very enticing so I don't think i would lease an FR-S. An IQ on the other hand, they are practically giving those away.

Also, coming from leasing Honda vehicles for my wife, I was a little surprised to see that GAP insurance wasn't included in the lease like Honda does.
gtslow is offline   Reply With Quote