follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #127
chanomatik
Snow Don't Hurt!

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT CBS
Thanked 1,497 Times in 902 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yeah, Nigel's been a lot of help. His site just sells seat covers. http://www.nigel-jdmparts.com/japan-...her-seat-cover

There are some good upholsterers up here, so I'll probably go that route. Now to find some red Alcantara...
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #128
DanoFA20
Shift Down

Drives: Toyota 86, Mazda RX7 RaceCar (FC3S)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber_TRD View Post
They actually don't add much weight, the Toyota at most is only 60lbs more:
1,190–1,298 kg (2,624–2,862 lb) (Toyota 86)
1,251–1,273 kg (2,758–2,806 lb) (Scion FR-S)

It's really not a big deal. Remember also, Toyota designed and tested the car as the Limited.

We didn't just miss out on accessories though, we lost out on better brakes, the under car covers which reduce the coefficient of drag. I don't remember where the post was but someone had posted it makes a notable difference in fuel mileage and times. Not to mention the creature comforts, such as heated seats and dual climate control comes in very handy when you live where I do and see -40 multiple times a year.

Glad you found the post informative though.

As chanomatik said, yes, it's the closest thing we have to the JDM GT86 Limited. It's still a ways off though. It's missing the knee pads, the seat options as chanomatik mentioned, the under car covers as I mentioned above, the brake upgrade option, a few nick nacks here and there. The biggest difference is the suspension. The BRZ was tuned to understeer more where the Toyota was tuned to neutral. BRZ has a couple extra speakers too if I recall.
oh damn really? interesting i am kinda sad about the knee pads and nder panels me personally dont need dual climate but -40 i can understand plus heated seats o.O i like fabric myself. yes i find this very helpful again thank you for making this!
DanoFA20 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DanoFA20 For This Useful Post:
Saber_TRD (02-12-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #129
idreamofdrifting

Drives: YUZU FR-S RS 1.0 & AE86 Hatch
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
call me conservative but imo my time and money is just too precious to exhort too much effort to do any of it. i suppose all of it has been well spent on my AE86 that, when i bought the fr-s, i just want a car thats a done deal. again this is my own opinion about this. the most ill probably do to my fr-s would be to buy the trd kit. otherwise it will stay bone scion stock. good day gentlemen.

"...the expression of the love in my eyes for my new RS 1.0 is the exact parallel opposite of bitterness, and hate of all the other FR-S owners that want one but won't admit that they do. " ~idreamofdrifting~
"...the main reason people swap (from Scion to Toyota badges) IMO, is because they're embarrassed at the Scion stigma they themselves are perpetuating..." ~Sho220~

idreamofdrifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #130
Saber_TRD

Drives: '09 Cobalt SS Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by idreamofdrifting View Post
call me conservative but imo my time and money is just too precious to exhort too much effort to do any of it. i suppose all of it has been well spent on my AE86 that, when i bought the fr-s, i just want a car thats a done deal. again this is my own opinion about this. the most ill probably do to my fr-s would be to buy the trd kit. otherwise it will stay bone scion stock. good day gentlemen.

That's pretty much what we wanted. The Scion is a stripped down version of the Toyota, incomplete, missing parts. We want the complete car, the done deal. Not the incomplete Scion.

These are not aftermarket parts, they are from factory, they are stock. We shouldn't have to be putting any effort into this other than signing the paper and handing over the money. Toyota decided to give us the finger though.

Also, this is a list of the parts for those who wanted to do a conversion, since it wasn't released here. It's not an opinion thread. It's meant to help others find what they need to get the conversion done.

Last edited by Saber_TRD; 02-12-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Saber_TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Saber_TRD For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (02-12-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #131
idreamofdrifting

Drives: YUZU FR-S RS 1.0 & AE86 Hatch
Quote:
That's pretty much what we wanted. The Scion is a stripped down version of the Toyota, incomplete, missing parts. We want the complete car, the done deal. Not the incomplete Scion.

These are not aftermarket parts, they are from factory, they are stock. We shouldn't have to be putting any effort into this other than signing the paper and handing over the money. Toyota decided to give us the finger though.

Also, this is a list of the parts for those who wanted to do a conversion, since it wasn't released here. It's not an opinion thread. It's meant to help others find what they need to get the conversion done.
Point well taken, but nevertheless I stand by my opinion. You are more than welcome to move or delete my posts. Cheers.
"...the expression of the love in my eyes for my new RS 1.0 is the exact parallel opposite of bitterness, and hate of all the other FR-S owners that want one but won't admit that they do. " ~idreamofdrifting~
"...the main reason people swap (from Scion to Toyota badges) IMO, is because they're embarrassed at the Scion stigma they themselves are perpetuating..." ~Sho220~

idreamofdrifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:03 PM   #132
dreamerl007

Drives: Toyota Corolla
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

As chanomatik said, yes, it's the closest thing we have to the JDM GT86 Limited. It's still a ways off though. It's missing the knee pads, the seat options as chanomatik mentioned, the under car covers as I mentioned above, the brake upgrade option, a few nick nacks here and there. The biggest difference is the suspension. The BRZ was tuned to understeer more where the Toyota was tuned to neutral. BRZ has a couple extra speakers too if I recall.
Thanks Saber, this thread is the most complete I've seen on the subject. I guess maybe I should ask the same question a little differently, If I wanted the JDM GT86 Limited, would it be 'easier' to start from the BRZ Limited as opposed to the FR-S? I suppose easier is a relative term, but I'd imagine a lot of the interior parts on the BRZ match up with the GT86 limited more than the FR-S Does, and would seem to be the more direct approach for this kind of undertaking. Just looking for some thoughts on the matter.
dreamerl007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #133
chanomatik
Snow Don't Hurt!

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT CBS
Thanked 1,497 Times in 902 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamerl007 View Post
Thanks Saber, this thread is the most complete I've seen on the subject. I guess maybe I should ask the same question a little differently, If I wanted the JDM GT86 Limited, would it be 'easier' to start from the BRZ Limited as opposed to the FR-S? I suppose easier is a relative term, but I'd imagine a lot of the interior parts on the BRZ match up with the GT86 limited more than the FR-S Does, and would seem to be the more direct approach for this kind of undertaking. Just looking for some thoughts on the matter.
I'll tell you that I got the BRZ Limited because of the following items:

- Push button start
- Seat warmers
- Side mirror warmers
- Puddle lights
- Dual climate control
- Leather/Alcantara
- Red digital color for time and such as opposed to orange on Premium BRZ or FR-S

To me, it seems easier to source an FR-S front bumper and badge, then rear FR-S badging and BAM! Got yourself an FR-S with much nicer-looking BRZ headlights. Ultimately I want my BRZ to resemble a GT-86 just for giggles. I highly doubt I'll ever pay $3k for the GT-86 headlights, though. I don't even like them.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #134
Saber_TRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamerl007 View Post
I'm glad it's been informative.

You're right, "easy" is a relative term. I suppose it depends on how much you want to spend and what work you're willing to do and how much of a conversion you want to do.

A lot of the FR-S to 86 conversion parts will be needed for the BRZ, such as the headlights. You might be able to get more for the BRZ headlights if you sell them than you would the FR-S lights. So that's a consideration for things.

The main differences between the FR-S to 86 conversion and a BRZ to 86 conversion would be that a lot of the interior stuff is already there on the BRZ. However, you have bigger exterior stuff. Like the front bumper, either way you'd need fog lights for FR-S or BRZ (86 are a different housing at the very least than the BRZ's). If you're picky about the suspension, as I am, then you'd be looking at swapping out a suspension. I don't know how much of it is different though, to get that understeer Suby wanted. So you could be changing everything to maybe only a couple parts.

I guess it comes down to if you want to do more mechanical or electrical work. The FR-S will have more electrical and the BRZ will have more mechanical, and with that front bumper maybe paint and colour matching or full paint job if you want Hot Lava, since it's a Toyota/Scion only colour.

I haven't seen all the parts necessary for a full blown conversion yet, so I couldn't even guess on price. I was easily over 10k when I was looking at parts to do the conversion and I hadn't seen the dual climate controls, push start, smart entry system, or the leather/alcantara heated seats on the market yet, from 3rd party vendors. I didn't look into a BRZ conversion since the only Suby dealership in my area has been to court over so many fraud cases it's not even funny. So I don't know about the costs or all the unique parts necessary for that conversion.

Last edited by Saber_TRD; 03-04-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Saber_TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #135
Sarlacc
/dev/null

Drives: Uphill
Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,420 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Garage
Very interesting thread!
Makes me appreciate my GT86 Limited even more.

About the stereo, I suggest you look at what's in the cars sold in Europe.
From what I've been able to gather, there's two head units:
Toyota Touch (no sat-nav)
Toyota Touch&Go (with sat-nav)
These are not the same as on other Toyota models (even if the units are called the same), they are unique for the GT86, according to the dealership.
I have a LHD with the Touch&Go, see photo below.
This comes with English as one of the installed languages.
If there's Toyota's with the same system in the US, you should be able to install the US maps on a Touch&Go. If not, a Touch would still give you Radio, CD, Bluetooth handsfree, and stuff.

Also, there's an option available for the GT86 (at least in Europe), a JBL sound system. It replaces all the speakers, and adds an amplifier and a woofer in the trunk. Let me know if anyone's interested in phtos of the JBL system.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sarlacc; 02-14-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Sarlacc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sarlacc For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (02-14-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #136
Saber_TRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarlacc View Post
Very interesting thread!
Makes me appreciate my GT86 Limited even more.

About the stereo, I suggest you look at what's in the cars sold in Europe.
From what I've been able to gather, there's two head units:
Toyota Touch (no sat-nav)
Toyota Touch&Go (with sat-nav)
These are not the same as on other Toyota models (even if the units are called the same), they are unique for the GT86, according to the dealership.
I have a LHD with the Touch&Go, see photo below.
This comes with English as one of the installed languages.
If there's Toyota's with the same system in the US, you should be able to install the US maps on a Touch&Go. If not, a Touch would still give you Radio, CD, Bluetooth handsfree, and stuff.

Also, there's an option available for the GT86 (at least in Europe), a JBL sound system. It replaces all the speakers, and adds an amplifier and a woofer in the trunk. Let me know if anyone's interested in phtos of the JBL system.
Gald you appreciate the thread.

I've actually left out the stereo stuff, for the most part, due to nav units and such being region specific and of course language issues in some cases. Not to mention the shear amount of optional head units. Still, useful information, thanks.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #137
blanco
DNGZONE

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Garage
Can anyone help with push to start part numbers? I can find the tray, tray mat, and lock cap (subaru)but I need the Toyota internals...
blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #138
troek

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Garage
i got a jdm 86 steering wheel up for sale
troek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #139
F3dzo

Drives: 13 fr-s whiteout