follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 03-03-2017, 02:34 PM   #1219
acpstunts

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rougenite View Post
New to drift thread...most of my driving involves keeping the wheels planted, but there is a slight inclination to get sideways...

Next part(s) to go in is a 4.88 FD and a 1.5way, maybe a 2way LSD. Running Enkei RPF1s 17x9+35 (in silver!) 245/45/ PSS + E85 and a tune.

Anybody here have any Final Drive conversions and/or a different LSD?

I got my 2-way Kaaz lsd coming in next week, ill keep you posted!

IG: acpstunts
PSN: e46drvr
acpstunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:30 AM   #1220
Shinchu

Drives: 2016 FR-S Asphault MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Best place to look for final drive or ring and pinion would be either trd or richmond gear. I had weir in my ae86 but i dont know if they do frs brz stuff.
Lsd depends if you want a pure skid sled or grip driving. Grip a 1.5 way is better. A 2 way will lock on throttle lift too. Kinda sketchy if you doing high speed circuit stuff.
My ae86 had a weir spool so it was like how can i drive this WITHOUT it stepping out? The answer is who cares its a blast haha
But my s14 had a 1.5 way cusco and it got frustrating sometimes when linking turns, would try for a weight shift and it would just unlock, car regains grip at rear and flings me wherever. Got a vid on youtube of that and i went off course and hit a telephone pole that was laying there for some reason, at ebisu circuit no less!

Anyway, do some research before you pull the trigger on something thats going to determine a very large aspect of your cars characteristics and purpose.

http://www.poweredbymax.net/
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:20 AM   #1221
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
New to drift thread...most of my driving involves keeping the wheels planted, but there is a slight inclination to get sideways...

Next part(s) to go in is a 4.88 FD and a 1.5way, maybe a 2way LSD. Running Enkei RPF1s 17x9+35 (in silver!) 245/45/ PSS + E85 and a tune.

Anybody here have any Final Drive conversions and/or a different LSD?
I know a couple people who ran 2 way LSDs, but they don't have those cars anymore. I'm not sure of anybody who has done the FD swap and drifts. I personally wouldn't go any higher than a 4.4 - 4.6 though. Seeing how you're in TX, I imagine you'll be going to Mineral Wells. A 4.9FD means you'll be initiating in 5th gear on their larger setups.

I was initiating in top of 3rd/middle of 4th with my stock 4.1FD. Had to keep the throttle pinned and clutch kick a few times to keep it going (was stock power). If I had kept my car, I would have gone to a Cusco 4.55 with their 2 way diff. 90% of course layouts I ran could be done entirely in 3rd gear with that gearing.

Given these transmissions aren't the strongest, I like the idea of not having to shift 10 times every run lol
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
Rougenite (03-06-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 07:41 PM   #1222
JayForts

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Anyone running FA500s? Looks like I can't even get -2.0 out of the front camber plates. Currently at -1.1 and -1.2 in the front, going to try the furthest screws slots (which should only move the coils another 5mm)and pray for the best. Drift clinic is Saturday!
JayForts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:43 PM   #1223
Shinchu

Garage
I never met a trans i couldnt kill hahaha
Actually the t56 in my camaro and the t50 in both ae86 held up ok.
Otherwise i have killed the following trans
89 civic dx, base, and almost the si all in the same car
94 silvia with sr20 (got that failure on youtube at ebisu circuit)
95 240 with ka24

My frs should be very affraid lol

Old 03-05-2017, 07:52 PM   #1224
Shinchu

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayForts View Post
Anyone running FA500s? Looks like I can't even get -2.0 out of the front camber plates. Currently at -1.1 and -1.2 in the front, going to try the furthest screws slots (which should only move the coils another 5mm)and pray for the best. Drift clinic is Saturday!
Yeah jack the car up to take weight off suspension, remove all the camber adjusting allen bolts, slide them all the way in util you see just the last two pairs of bolt holes, put the four allen bolts back in those four holes (two pair per coilover).

If thats not enough, try ordering camber bolts or crash bolts to add camber at the bottom bracket of the coilovers.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes or check back if you need moar halp.
LOL just realized im going to need like -3 to fit my new wheels up front haha i think i should be ok with pbm coils.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:37 PM   #1225
rin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZ RN View Post
Good day, here are few of my runs in 100 Drifters of December.
pardon me this is my 2nd time doing this and 1st time doing whole day.
this is also my daily except for winter.

looking forward to more drift days.
Dude hit me up! I am new to the community/chassis and I want to meet more Drifting ZN6!
rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:23 PM   #1226
Rougenite

Drives: Raven FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
Snip
I appreciate the feedback . Any drifting I do will be secondary to the canyon/mountain fun. Hence me leaning heavily towards a 1.5 way and the 4.88

I looked at a few different ratios and am probably keeping the car as N/A. (unless a good deal comes around for an SC)

All this is going into a second carrier so if I dont like it, I can swap it real easy

You've been out to Mineral Wells before? I just moved here, haven't even done the Sisters yet.
Rougenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:31 AM   #1227
TylerLieberman

Quote:
I appreciate the feedback . Any drifting I do will be secondary to the canyon/mountain fun. Hence me leaning heavily towards a 1.5 way and the 4.88

I looked at a few different ratios and am probably keeping the car as N/A. (unless a good deal comes around for an SC)

All this is going into a second carrier so if I dont like it, I can swap it real easy

You've been out to Mineral Wells before? I just moved here, haven't even done the Sisters yet.
I got ya. 1.5 can be a bit tricky to get used to for drifting, but an interesting thought: A lot of the guys who run Meihan circuit, including Naoki Nakamura, use a 1.5 way diff. I've drive on a 1.5 way a few times and it's a bit funky off throttle, but if you just kick the clutch on transition, you can negate most of the issue when you're learning.

I went to Mineral Wells a bunch. It's huge. The far side of the lot is pretty rough and can eat tires, especially when you're doing higher speed courses. I went one time in my FRS and was doing 4th gear entries with my rear tires aired to 50psi cold. They lasted like 6 or 7 runs before they were getting ready to cord.
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
Rougenite (03-08-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 08:40 PM   #1228
rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayForts View Post
You talking about the one at english town? I'm considering on going! I would love to meet more ZN6 drifters on the eastcoast!
Old 03-09-2017, 01:03 PM   #1229
Rougenite

Quote:
I got ya. 1.5 can be a bit tricky to get used to for drifting, but an interesting thought: A lot of the guys who run Meihan circuit, including Naoki Nakamura, use a 1.5 way diff. I've drive on a 1.5 way a few times and it's a bit funky off throttle, but if you just kick the clutch on transition, you can negate most of the issue when you're learning.

I went to Mineral Wells a bunch. It's huge. The far side of the lot is pretty rough and can eat tires, especially when you're doing higher speed courses. I went one time in my FRS and was doing 4th gear entries with my rear tires aired to 50psi cold. They lasted like 6 or 7 runs before they were getting ready to cord.
I found a video on youtube of mineral wells...perhaps it is you.

I figure if i start out using a 1.5 way, I wont have to deal with the 'tricky' part. It'll just be normal to me. The boss may or may not have just approved of me getting a PTuning kit, so I will probs end up swapping the 4.88 to a 4.5 .
Old 03-09-2017, 04:18 PM   #1230
rin

I'm sorry if this has been covered but who here is sliding on 16"? I think there is someone doing it at US Air during Club FR events in the Mid-West, I just don't have social networking anymore (ex deleted it but its for the better! lol...) but i'm doing it old school and trying to hunt builds on forums. THANKS GUYS!

*Edited: NVM! I found it 30 seconds after I posted this. It is Philstar!!!

Last edited by rin; 03-09-2017 at 04:20 PM. Reason: stupid didnt search....
rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:06 PM   #1231
TylerLieberman

Quote:
I found a video on youtube of mineral wells...perhaps it is you.

I figure if i start out using a 1.5 way, I wont have to deal with the 'tricky' part. It'll just be normal to me. The boss may or may not have just approved of me getting a PTuning kit, so I will probs end up swapping the 4.88 to a 4.5 .
Might be. The events I went to were pretty small and I never really saw any people filming out there. If it's black with gold wheels, it's probably me though. That was the first few months of ownership with the car lol.

Yeah a 1.5 shouldn't be too difficult if you don't already have habits built from driving cars with 2 way diffs. What's funny is I had a Cusco RS 2 way in my old S14 and I didn't really like it. I liked the Kaaz 2 way in friends S13 though.

But oddly enough, I liked the welded diff I had in my own S13 the most. Just felt the most consistent to me.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:10 PM   #1232
Rougenite

Quote:
Might be. The events I went to were pretty small and I never really saw any people filming out there. If it's black with gold wheels, it's probably me though. That was the first few months of ownership with the car lol.

Yeah a 1.5 shouldn't be too difficult if you don't already have habits built from driving cars with 2 way diffs. What's funny is I had a Cusco RS 2 way in my old S14 and I didn't really like it. I liked the Kaaz 2 way in friends S13 though.

But oddly enough, I liked the welded diff I had in my own S13 the most. Just felt the most consistent to me.
Was an in car film though, so idk. I remember the first vehicle I put together. It was a sub 10 second 78 K5 with a 350. We welded the dif. Hated that the tire was drug during a turn.