follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-14-2018, 01:48 PM   #1
falcon_wizard

Drives: BRZ 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Worth going forged internals for reliability ?

Good day,

After going over all the threads I found, I’d appreciate some feedback regarding my personal situation... I have a 2013 BRZ with 90k km on it, which I turbo’ed last year (340 crank hp on 94 octane, (270whp) and 260 tq). I’d like to be able to keep it another 6-8 years and thus looking for long term reliability. It’s my yearly daily driver including snowy winters, and I plan to do 1-3 days of HPDE per year, in a beginner group. I installed a dual oil cooler-radiator to keep oil temps at bay. I’m not an agressive driver, but will do like good accelarations from time to time. The clutch just got replaced, as the stock one was starting to slip.

I do not really have higher power goals, I would not mind having a bit more low end torque for passing on the highway when in 6th speed at 120km/hr, but otherwise, the tq I have I find is more than sufficient, and makes for a super predictable and balanced car during the HPDEs. Currently, max tq is achieved at 4k rpm and stays until redline. The professional tune done on dyno keeps tq lower up to that to protect the rods.

My goal is really to maintain long term reliability for many years to come, and protect the drivetrain and tranny to avoid such replacement costs. I have now invested a substancial amount in this car which I absolutely love, now I’m trying to see what is the logical and financially sound approach for the long term, as buying a new car this fun to drive would cost a lot more...

I have been recommended to invest in a built engine with forged internals to avoid bad surprises and long term reliability. Any recommendations for or againts such investment from your experience? Would this be a sound*»investment*» in attemping to keep the car for 6-8 more years ? Will it truly bring more reliability, or will the fact of having to take apart and rebuild the block actually cause other things to fail ? I understand forged internals would allow me to add substantial more power, but I would not want to put myself in a situation where I’d need to upgrade tires, tranny, axles, fuel pump, etc, etc to keep the car reliable.

Based on all I’ve read, my current setup is already just below the typically mentionned 300whp «safe*reliabilty point*» for stock internals. I am aware there is nothing garanteed and lots of factors involved, but The input from those with lots of experience would be much appreciated to help me enjoying my BRZ for years to come safely and reliably.

Thanks in advance,

Last edited by falcon_wizard; 10-14-2018 at 02:03 PM.
falcon_wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:54 PM   #2
Strife26

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.blue
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I wanna say forged internals are for someone wanting more than the safe level of boost.

"Reliability" works but I've heard it'd be like 10k for a built engine and 10k doesn't sound like reliability.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2018, 02:59 PM   #3
Code Monkey

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Save the money on the side and get a new OEM block when/if the current one grenades. Cheaper and less of a headache.
Code Monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Code Monkey For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (10-14-2018), humfrz (10-15-2018), kch (10-16-2018), Strife26 (10-14-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 03:03 PM   #4
Strife26

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.blue
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
Save the money on the side and get a new OEM block when/if the current one grenades. Cheaper and less of a headache.
Not to hijack. How much better is the new block? Are there "safe" boost levels out there for it (higher than 7-9)?

Old 10-14-2018, 05:58 PM   #5
Verl0r4n

Drives: GT86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife26 View Post
Not to hijack. How much better is the new block? Are there "safe" boost levels out there for it (higher than 7-9)?

Theres plenty of second hand engines going around from people doing swap which are pretty cheap so it where me id by one of those and part out the bits I dont need on it

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Verl0r4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:26 PM   #6
Code Monkey

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
2017+ blocks are supposed to be a bit stronger but not sure how much in practical terms. For road racing I would run a conservative tune anyway; for an occasional street pull can run a bit more hp/tq.
Code Monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:10 PM   #7
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_wizard View Post
Good day,

After going over all the threads I found, I’d appreciate some feedback regarding my personal situation... I have a 2013 BRZ with 90k km on it, which I turbo’ed last year (340 crank hp on 94 octane, (270whp) and 260 tq). I’d like to be able to keep it another 6-8 years and thus looking for long term reliability. It’s my yearly daily driver including snowy winters, and I plan to do 1-3 days of HPDE per year, in a beginner group. I installed a dual oil cooler-radiator to keep oil temps at bay. I’m not an agressive driver, but will do like good accelarations from time to time. The clutch just got replaced, as the stock one was starting to slip.

I do not really have higher power goals, I would not mind having a bit more low end torque for passing on the highway when in 6th speed at 120km/hr, but otherwise, the tq I have I find is more than sufficient, and makes for a super predictable and balanced car during the HPDEs. Currently, max tq is achieved at 4k rpm and stays until redline. The professional tune done on dyno keeps tq lower up to that to protect the rods.

My goal is really to maintain long term reliability for many years to come, and protect the drivetrain and tranny to avoid such replacement costs. I have now invested a substancial amount in this car which I absolutely love, now I’m trying to see what is the logical and financially sound approach for the long term, as buying a new car this fun to drive would cost a lot more...

I have been recommended to invest in a built engine with forged internals to avoid bad surprises and long term reliability. Any recommendations for or againts such investment from your experience? Would this be a sound*»investment*» in attemping to keep the car for 6-8 more years ? Will it truly bring more reliability, or will the fact of having to take apart and rebuild the block actually cause other things to fail ? I understand forged internals would allow me to add substantial more power, but I would not want to put myself in a situation where I’d need to upgrade tires, tranny, axles, fuel pump, etc, etc to keep the car reliable.

Based on all I’ve read, my current setup is already just below the typically mentionned 300whp «safe*reliabilty point*» for stock internals. I am aware there is nothing garanteed and lots of factors involved, but The input from those with lots of experience would be much appreciated to help me enjoying my BRZ for years to come safely and reliably.

Thanks in advance,

This is what I am thinking to get
Short block low compression
https://crawfordperformance.com/coll...12172301402185

and installation kit
https://crawfordperformance.com/coll...z-fr-s-gt86-86

plus high-boost pulley, injectors, fuel pump, cooling upgrades, tune, labor.

Looking like a little less than $10K over the JRSC I already have.

I wouldn't do any of this without the built short block.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:11 PM   #8
Drakiv
Project Shadow

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Just do what I did and go balls to the wall

Instagram: Drakiv
Drakiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:02 PM   #9
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Built engines aren't inherently more reliable. I think reliability comes from responsible driving habits and preventative measures taken ( as you have with the oil cooler). I'd make sure you're doing anything you can to reduce knock correction ( better have catch cans!) and be extremely cognizant of your oil level. If it's survived this long, surely you're doing something right; I will agree with the sentiment that you should buy another block to be ready if something happens to this one, it's the cheapest path, it's a proven path, and it's a familiar path.

If you want more power, go with a built block, but understand that they have their own needs and aren't any safer from a reliability standpoint; building a brick wall that's thicker to withstand impact is great, but if the foundation is poor it'll come down regardless. Running a built engine low on oil, or thinking it'll withstand knock detonation much better would be silly ideals. Look at all the built WRXs and STIs that end up with multiple rebuilds. They aren't treating the principle cause of their failure and are just throwing big money at parts because nobody helps them understand the real reason for failure.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Joveen (01-29-2021)
Old 10-14-2018, 08:07 PM   #10
BlueWhelan

Drives: 2013 Blue Subaru BRZ. 6 Spd manual
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
IMO, you are probably more likely to have an issue with spun bearings than anything else. I'd take steps to ensure that oiling is as little an issue as possible.

Edit: @DarkPira7e is right. A catch can would be a worthy investment.

Take the time to read through this thread if you haven't already.
BlueWhelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:48 PM   #11
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife26 View Post
I wanna say forged internals are for someone wanting more than the safe level of boost.

"Reliability" works but I've heard it'd be like 10k for a built engine and 10k doesn't sound like reliability.

so how much power are you getting with 10k of built and say an edelbrock?
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:33 AM   #12
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Detune it a bit, or build in a lot of failsafes. Do every supporting mod as appropriate.

I have 38 track days on my turboed stock engine, with maps going up to 450 crank hp on Ethanol.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Boris_Petrov (03-18-2019), Tristor (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 05:35 AM   #13
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,065 Times in 774 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Detune it a bit, or build in a lot of failsafes. Do every supporting mod as appropriate.

I have 38 track days on my turboed stock engine, with maps going up to 450 crank hp on Ethanol.
Generally speaking, which kind of failsafes are you using on your maps?
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:38 AM   #14
falcon_wizard

Drives: BRZ 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post

So far, in terms of failsafe, I’ve put a remote starter to warm the car up before I drive it, and stay in low boost map until the oil is at least 190F. I also have a 91octane map I could use, while fueling with 94. I’ll definitely look into a catch can or oil separator - it’s not something that was really on my radar to date. Besides that I run Gulf 5w40 and make oil changes every 5000km or sooner, and started getting my oil tested.

Is there anything else I missed I should be looking into ?

Cheers
falcon_wizard is offline   Reply With Quote