follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #43
Mitchs_86

Drives: 09 BMW Z4
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MF_DEUCE View Post
I dont understand why people assume the FRS will be cheaper than the BRZ. They are both made from the same plant, why would one be sold for more? If Subaru is expected to have less quantity and be more expensive, then it seems that Subaru has the crap end of the stick. The average joe will see that the FRS is cheaper, thus buy the FRS > BRZ leaving Subaru with more cars not being sold.
Plus, the auto magazines I've been reading have both of these cars estimated at the same price. Either way, I see a lot of people who will be disappointed when price is revealed and they arrive at either dealership with a 2k-4K mark up. Just my 2cents.
I think you are forgetting about the standard equipment is better on a BRZ than an FRS... HID's and Nav for starters
Mitchs_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #44
Tainen

Drives: First SWP BRZ-L
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
I dont understand why people assume the FRS will be cheaper than the BRZ. They are both made from the same plant, why would one be sold for more? If Subaru is expected to have less quantity and be more expensive, then it seems that Subaru has the crap end of the stick. The average joe will see that the FRS is cheaper, thus buy the FRS > BRZ leaving Subaru with more cars not being sold.
Plus, the auto magazines I've been reading have both of these cars estimated at the same price. Either way, I see a lot of people who will be disappointed when price is revealed and they arrive at either dealership with a 2k-4K mark up. Just my 2cents.
Serious?

Because the BRZ has a ton more standard features. simple as that. Scion wouldn't sell very many FR-S's if they were priced the same as the BRZ, which has HIDs, nav, red stitching, and a bevy of other standard features above the FR-S.
Tainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #45
Grimlock

Drives: BRZ and NA
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
There is an equipment differential between the BRZ and the FR-S. That helps with different pricing. Also, Scion's most expensive car is about $19k. at $25k, the FR-S would be a full 32% more costly. That's a lot of difference for the typical Scion buyer.

Also, you know cars like the Lexus ES350 and Toyota Camry are made on the same assembly line and are 90% the same car, right? Look at the pricing differential between those cars.

If the BRZ and FR-S are revealed to have the same base price, I'll be legitimately shocked.
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #46
MF_DEUCE
Adventure Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen View Post
Serious?

Because the BRZ has a ton more standard features. simple as that. Scion wouldn't sell very many FR-S's if they were priced the same as the BRZ, which has HIDs, nav, red stitching, and a bevy of other standard features above the FR-S.
"I" never said that they would be priced the same, I mentioned that reviews had these cars priced around the same point. What i meant was that people are expecting about a +2k price difference when the cars are practically the same. I understand the BRZ has a few more features but i dont believe its going to be that much of a difference.

I was looking at the Matrix and Vibe comparison and you can see similarities between that partnership and the Toyobaru one as well...
http://www.guideautoweb.com/en/articles/3357/
Old 03-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #47
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
"I" never said that they would be priced the same,
Huh? Yes you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF_DEUCE
I dont understand why people assume the FRS will be cheaper than the BRZ.
That means you don't understand why the BRZ is priced higher, which obviously means you believe that will be the same price?
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #48
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen View Post
Serious?

The only difference between the FR-S and the BRZ premium is NAV and HIDS. And we still don't know if the FR-S comes with the Bespoke deck which would give you nav function when you connect your phone to it using the cable or bluetooth. The interior of both cars is the same.

A NAV system is not $2000 anymore. Figure a $1000 to $1500 difference at most between the BRZ Limited and the FR-S. That is if they pricing the cars right. Scion could screw up and price the FR-S at $25k.
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #49
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpnnlp View Post
Critical thinking.

+ Misc details that can be seen (stitching, chrome accents, etc), and the stuff that cannot be seen, such as possibly more materials to help with NVH.
Your right but the Stitching is the same. That was a rumor that the Canadian FR-S was not going to have the red stitching. It was not set in stone. I guess you can say the fake silver painted plastic trim on the dash in the BRZ can cost more. It would be nice if that was real metal.

It's mostly NAV and HIDS that are the difference.

But hey every FR-S we have seen is still pre-production.

But will won't know until we see production units of both to compare too.
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #50
Tainen

Drives: First SWP BRZ-L
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripjammer View Post
The only difference between the FR-S and the BRZ premium is NAV and HIDS. And we still don't know if the FR-S comes with the Bespoke deck which would give you nav function when you connect your phone to it using the cable or bluetooth. The interior of both cars is the same.

A NAV system is not $2000 anymore. Figure a $1000 to $1500 difference at most between the BRZ Limited and the FR-S. That is if they pricing the cars right. Scion could screw up and price the FR-S at $25k.
ah, red stitching not confirmed as a difference. interesting.

Agreed on the nav, but you probably won't see the difference in price as just the MSRP difference of the two options, Nav/HID. Subaru wants to be more upscale overall... charging a few hundred more would help that image probably. So yeah, you are correct in your points, but I still expect a 2k difference, at least, to set the cars apart.
Tainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #51
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
What if the reviews were wrong and the cars feel significantly different and the FRS without BeSpoke is priced the same as a BRZ-P and we all go back to landline phones?
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #52
tachi1247

Drives: 04 BMW 330i & 03 Mazdaspeed Protege
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripjammer View Post
It's April 2012 thru Nov 2012 (8 months), and Jan 2013 thru April 2013 (4 months)

540 X 8 = 4320 units
540 X 4 = 2160 units

Total is 6480 units

Around May 2013 is when the 2014 BRZ production starts...could even be earlier...
2014 MY will not start in april 2013. It will be august just like every other car. The only times new model years start at any other time is on launch or a refresh. Next year will be neither for this car. It will be a 15 mo 2013 MY so were looking at 400 cars per month.

Even if they release a convertible or sti version next spring, only that trim level would get the new MY
tachi1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #53
MRZ415

Drives: 2015 Subaru WRX
If all this info is true ... I'll hopefully test drive a 2013 before the end of the year
and buy a 2014 model sometime late 2013...
I'll let the early adopters get their crack at it ... and wait for slight market
saturation... I highly doubt Subaru will make LESS BRZ the second year ...
maybe 8000 BRZ for 2014
Old 03-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #54
86fanatic

Drives: auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by tachi1247 View Post
2014 MY will not start in april 2013. It will be august just like every other car. The only times new model years start at any other time is on launch or a refresh. Next year will be neither for this car. It will be a 15 mo 2013 MY so were looking at 400 cars per month.

Even if they release a convertible or sti version next spring, only that trim level would get the new MY
Different manufacturers use different dates for different model years all the time. Just look at the GTR, totally unpredictable. 2013 GTR came out January of 2012 which was totally unexpected to 2012 GTR owners.

Bottom line is no one knows what the model year timeline looks like with the BRZ. Hell, we don't even have price, EPA estimated fuel mileage, or even an official release date when we can expect to drive one home for the very first model year.
86fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #55
Oriental Life

Drives: Forester 2007, BRZ Limited '13
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Oriental Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #56
blofeld42

Drives: econobox
As I recall there are around 300 Subaru dealers in the US, which works out to something like an average of 2-4 BRZs per dealership per month. Of course the Subaru corporate allocation model will send more or fewer to specific dealers.

I've heard that the supply is going to be limited for months now.
blofeld42 is offline   Reply With Quote