follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 05-03-2016, 07:56 AM   #57
Enalband24

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Yes, a Bridgeport haha. Sorry if my terms are slightly off, I am not a machinist by trade but rather by necessity.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadscientist View Post
A bridgeport? Cool! Oh, not a rotary.

Wait, a Bridgeport? cool!

Very high quality build you are doing, really digging it.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:35 AM   #58
Enalband24

Garage
Little by little, coming together.

Installed the IC piping last night. Had to remove the factory washer bottle . Fortunately, @Brody602 gave me the idea of a trunk relocation for the washer bottle, I think I'm gonna run with it.

I also had to trim one of the headlight housings a bit as well. Unfortunately, during trimming, it opened up the housing and exposed the inside electronics. I'm a little uneasy about that being exposed and thinking about laying some fiberglass down to maintain the needed shape, but seal the housing up. Thoughts?

Tonight, I'll wrap the downpipe/front pipe, as well as bolt up the turbo (finally).

[IMG]http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g44/Enalband24/146F***0-B577-4FF0-A1CA-02600D2E23CE_zpsmwcdphlo.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-05-2016, 08:05 AM   #59
Enalband24

Garage
OK, so I was finally able to get the turbo fully dressed and mounted, along with the downpipe. I routed a couple vacuum hoses as well.

In all likely hood, I'll be pulling everything back apart tomorrow to wrap the pieces with exhaust wrap. Due to their proximity with other systems, I don't want any issues.

After that, I just need to swap my ID 1300cc injectors for ID 2000cc injectors, and tidy up all the daunting little stuff, checking bolts, filling fluids, loctiting stuff, etc, etc.

I'm a little unhappy with how the bay came out in terms of looks, I mean, I know I'm essentially building a race car here, but still, everything needs to be in check. I think the different colors are throwing me off - I need continuity. Probably just OCD.

None the less, check it out.

Waiting patiently to be revived...

Once I get this thing started, I'll be sure to post a couple videos. Stay tuned.

Last edited by Enalband24; 05-06-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Enalband24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enalband24 For This Useful Post:
stoked_on_spool (05-06-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 08:24 AM   #60
Enalband24

Garage
OK, it's been a couple days here. Time for an update...

Pulled out all the exhaust piping and wrapped them. First time doing it so please don't flame .

Pulled the tensioner bracket out and painted it matte black, as well as painted the positive battery cover blue...the red was bothering me.

Had the welder here at work TIG a sensor bung into my new overpipe/frontpipe combo from Nameless...good weld and perfect location.

Wrapped miscellaneous parts with the gold reflective tape, as well as DEI heat sleeves. Got the oil return line fabricated and sleeved as well, and purchased break in oil.

Also picked me up a couple gallons of Subaru super coolant.

So, that just about wraps it up...just waiting on a couple miscellaneous parts, touching up a few things, need to fill it with fluids (oil, coolant, trans fluid, and clutch fluid), and flash the tune. OH, and I still need a driveshaft....

Friday should be the day I can at least start it up and let it idle. ha

Enjoy and stay tuned!

Old 05-11-2016, 11:53 AM   #61
Enalband24

Garage
Had a little time last night to get some stuff done.

I managed to remove the headlight and seal up the hole left from trimming the housing to fit the intercooler piping. I should have gotten some pictures of the hole as it was large. However, the process/method worked flawlessly.

First, I trimmed slightly more plastic off to make the process easier, cleaned and roughened up the edges, then mixed some 5-min epoxy and laid it down around the edge of the hole. I followed this by laying down a square of fiberglass mat over the hole and sealed it at the edges with the epoxy. I then laid down another square of fiberglass. I gave it a couple minutes to set, then laid down a layer of resin over the fiberglass, followed by two more subsequent layers of fiberglass and resin. Looks ugly, but it got the job done!

I also pulled the rest of the cold side IC piping and gold wrapped it for a little added heat protection and continuity.

Fortunately, my new fuel lines and brackets came in from FBM, so I painted those as well and got them semi-installed.

Lastly, I installed the Innovate bung heatsink, as well as the wideband sensor for my new gauge (Ethanol %, Fuel temp, Fuel pressure, and AFR).

Take a look!

Epoxy!

First Layer!

Second Layer!

Done!

Rest of IC piping gold wrapped and re-installed.

New wideband sensor and heatsink installed.

Brackets from FBM touched up, blasted, and painted matte black to match the rest.

I'll be adding the fluids and bleeding the clutch tonight, as well as re-installing the over/front pipe.

After that, just waiting on the driveshaft from DSS and we should be back on the road assuming no issues.

So close!
Old 05-11-2016, 01:32 PM   #62
TruthfulDeception

Drives: '14 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
This thing is absolutely stunning! What made you go FBM over something like MAP or Greddy?
TruthfulDeception is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TruthfulDeception For This Useful Post:
Enalband24 (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 07:11 AM   #63
SmsAlSuwaidi
Boosted

Drives: Not a supra....yet
Thanked 1,203 Times in 812 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Cool build, and just a side note thats a 161 and not a 160 haha.
SmsAlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SmsAlSuwaidi For This Useful Post:
Enalband24 (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 08:26 AM   #64
Enalband24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthfulDeception View Post
This thing is absolutely stunning! What made you go FBM over something like MAP or Greddy?
Thanks!

Honestly, I would have to say it was a little of the reviews of their stage 1 turbo kit, their results with the stage 2, the fact that I was already purchasing the conversion kit through them, and lastly, just quality.

Also, LJ worked out a payment scheme with me that helped the project move along at a reasonable pace, physically and financially. He's great to work with, super accommodating.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:32 AM   #65
Enalband24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmsAlSuwaidi View Post
Cool build, and just a side note thats a 161 and not a 160 haha.
Thanks!

Yeahh, you'll have to forgive me, I'm not well versed with the Supra world.

It's funny, when I first got the transmission, I was worried because the transmission just looked off, as well as the center section being a different color. I was worried it was a fake! (Stupid, I know, who builds fake 160's) Especially considering the Toyota tag had been lost in the back and forth of hands before mine.

After a little research, it is obvious it is a 161. Thanks for the knowledge, I'll be sure to update the thread!
Old 05-12-2016, 09:28 AM   #66
Enalband24

Garage
OK, so I was able to get a little done last night. Not as much as I wanted, but progress is progress.

I was able to get the Nameless 3" over/front pipe combo in. Had to lift the engine up quite a bit to get that fat thing in there, but it's in, and fits perfect. This also gave me the chance to inspect the location of the bung I had welded on the pipe - perfect location.

Once the pipe was in and semi-bolted up to the downpipe, I eyeballed where I should weld the OEM exhaust hanger to the new rear transmission mount. Had my buddy here weld it quick for me, then ground, blasted, and re-painted. Came out perfect as well.

What a pain in the ass though. When installing the new pipe, I had to adjust the downpipe so the flanges met flush, which ended up throwing off my alignment of the downpipe to the turbo, and consequently the wastegate (Re-circulating). I probably ended up f**king around with re-adjusting those flanges for an hour and half to two hours. What a pain in my ass.

Ran into a couple issues bleeding the clutch, but eventually had someone on night shift come down and give me a hand. Clutch is rock solid now. Loving it.

Lastly, I just re-routed a couple vacuum hoses, then installed a fuel pressure/temp sensor to the new fuel lines for the ethanol sensor.

I would have more pictures, but my phone died an hour into working.

Today, I'll try and finish up when I didn't get accomplished yesterday. Adding coolant, oil, and transmission fluid - simple, I know. I'll probably fiddle f**k around with little stuff for looks after that before I get the driveshaft and start it.

Either way, here's what everyone likes - pictures! Enjoy!

Sensor bung placement - spot on.

Bracket welded to rear trans mount.

Clutch engagement - seems to be good. Feels stiff - I like it.

http://s53.photobucket.com/user/Enal...]=1&sort=1&o=0

FPR bracket mounted.

Sensor bracket mounted, fuel lines re-routed, and pressure/temp sensor mounted in line.

Stay tuned! More to come soon!

Last edited by Enalband24; 05-12-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Enalband24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:00 AM   #67
Enalband24

Garage
Again, had a little time to mess with the car last night.

I filled it with coolant and oil. Then proceeded to prime the oil system. It cranks! So no issues with the starter placement on the conversion plate.

Still waiting on the driveshaft and tune. With a little luck, I'll be able to start it next weekend.

I'll probably give the car the over-due bath and polish this weekend while I wait...
Old 05-24-2016, 08:00 AM   #68
Enalband24

Garage
Well, since this part of the build is coming to a close, I am finally relaxing and spending some of my time in my other hobbies, mainly astronomy, so I am taking my time with the car.

All that is left is to install the driveshaft (once I get it), swap the injectors back to the 1300cc (Apparently the stock ECU cannot consistently control the 2000cc injectors at low flow rates), and change the differential fluid and trans fluid.

This past weekend, I spent a little time giving the car a well needed bath. I still need to machine polish and wax, but this makes me feel better for the time being. I also got around to installing my Innovate Motorsports ECF-1 gauge - loving it.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:06 AM   #69
Enalband24

Garage
Update from FBM: Driveshaft should be done this week or next! SO CLOSE!
Old 05-31-2016, 07:53 AM   #70
Enalband24

Garage
Not much of an update guys. Car is pretty much ready to be started. Just still waiting on the driveshaft...

In the meantime, I've been putting together my new astro imaging rig (Not that anyone cares, but I have to keep myself busy in down time). Tonight will be this mounts maiden voyage! Hopefully everything runs smoothly! It's an Orion Atlas Pro mount, with a Televue NP101 mounted a top of it, imaging with a Canon 6D, guiding with a SX Lodestar X2.

Hopefully I'll be posting up a video of the first start by the end of the week. Keep your fingers crossed and stay tuned in!

Tags
#firstbuild, #firstsubaru, #moretocome, fbmboosted