follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 04-18-2015, 03:19 PM   #2129
2ndgenhachi

Drives: 2013 fr-s, sr20 180sx
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScionOfHorus View Post
Group buy is going for CSG spec tein SRC coilovers
As awesome as the CSG spec SRC's are. They may be overkill for me as I'm not tracking my car at the moment and don't have the knowledge or skill yet to need them. Although.... I tend to go balls out when it comes to my mods. we'll see where things end up after I've replenished funds.
2ndgenhachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:35 PM   #2130
The Slow One
Track Junkie

Drives: Argento Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I figured I'd share my remotedyno session with @moto-mike last weekend.

I had a track event the same weekend and I love how this supercharger pulls, now its just to fix a few issues that came up.. namely my clutch. lol

Also had a dyno day with the Houston 86 Club at DDPR. Numbers didn't change much!
Attached Images

The Slow One is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Slow One For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-20-2015), Jmonty (04-18-2015), Xero-Limit (04-20-2015)
Old 04-19-2015, 01:20 AM   #2131
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,180 Times in 6,836 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenhachi View Post
Pulled the trigger yesterday! JRSC w/ carb tune and oil cooler! Never been so happy about spending so much $$! Looks like I'll be needing brake upgrades and suspension soon. Looking at you CSG!
Did you order from us? Congrats!
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:21 AM   #2132
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven240 View Post
After driving my car for almost 7 months, I've gone back and forth on this subject. I daily drive my FRS RS 1.0. I know my avatar says Raven Black. And I would've picked up a monogram but the dealer was being super shady telling me mixed information. Anyway, I skipped the BS and reserved a RS.

Back to the matter at hand. About a month ago, I decided to go FI. And I did a crap ton of research. I think I read almost every review these forums had to offer on multiple kits. I eventually broke it down on these key elements. These were major determining factors for me and they may not apply to you. But it was important in my decision.

1) Reliability. I'm a set it and forget it type of guy. I need something that's going to be dependable. I don't want to have to take my car to the shop every weekend to get it tuned or dialed in. I know some of you junkies out there enjoy that. But with my heavy work load, I just prefer to spend my weekends doing other things.
2) Turbo versus Supercharger. I actually messaged all the manufacturers and talked directly with their engineers. Again, producing reliable power with low risk was a huge factor. But don't get me wrong, I miss the pull of my 2012 M3. That's a freakin rocket ship. I did happen to have a good connection with Greddy and almost walked out the door with a very nice 620 turbo kit. Who can resist the BOV? Lol. And then I saw a kraftwerks flex fuel c38. And that was nuts. But after seeing all the issues with the kraftwerks kit, I decided to go JR.
3) Price. Price does have a say. After all, I'm not loaded. I own a house and I actually sold my 2012 BMW M3 to help with my deposit. I've had the fast car but something about a 2700 lb supercharged FRS is very attractive. I like the concept a lot.

Now on to the good stuff. So in case you haven't guessed it. i bought my JR Supercharger and Oil Cooler on Thursday. I also had to find a local tuner to build my car. I've got Stoptech BBK, Driveway Labs diffuser, Voltex 2, Seibon, and HKS suspension in the mix. Parts should be coming over the next month or so. It's going to be a fun time.

I'll post pictures when I get those huge JR boxes on my doorstep =)
Hopefully we see you at the track!
Old 04-19-2015, 01:22 AM   #2133
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScionOfHorus View Post
Group buy is going for CSG spec tein SRC coilovers
I think the first stage of the group buy may already be closed... but they're taking deposits for the second batch
Old 04-19-2015, 03:06 AM   #2134
Raven240

Drives: 2015 Release Series 1.0 FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Hopefully we see you at the track!
I think you're the same Mike that my friend Kevin spoke of. He's got a black 370z. He spoke of you tonight cause he's going to help me with my JR install. You said something about the bumper >_<
075/1500 2015 Scion FRS Release Series 1.0 / Jackson Racing Supercharger + Oil Cooler / Tom's Red DOT LED lights / 18s staggered Enkei Raijin with RS3 / TRD Short Shifter / 328 Stoptech BBK Front / Velox Motorsports Diffuser / Whiteline bushings / Ohlins RT Coilovers / VIS Carbon Fiber Hood.
Raven240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:25 AM   #2135
dj2020

Drives: BRZ
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Jackson Racing Supercharger Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddy View Post
The temp sensor you relocated for the outside air is too close to the radiator. I have this issue as well. I made a bracket and moved it away but mine still reads high.

I am told it needs to be out in the open in the moving air to be correct.

That was the only thing I thought they missed on this kit. They should have included a bracket to move the sensor and a harness extension for it.

This is only a BRZ issue, FRS's don't have the outside temp sensor.

It does not affect anything to do with the engine, it is only for the dash readout.

Pat

I believe I've found a solution for our inaccurate outside temp reading post JRSC install. Mine was reading easily 20+ degrees F after 10-15 minutes of driving when located behind the radiator, oil cooler and intercooler.

First, I ended up relocating my outside temp sensor to the passenger side vertical air guide that I had initially removed for the JRSC install. I simply dremeled the air guide to fit around the new intercooler piping and drilled two holes into the guide so that I could zip tie the temp sensor against the guide. The sensor now sits away from the radiator and oil cooler. When viewing from the front, it sits just below and slightly behind the intercooler exit piping. The temp wiring harness is just long enough to accommodate this. This setup gave me temp readings that were consistently 5 degrees (F) higher than the geolocated temp reading from my iPhone's weather app after 10 minutes of driving. Typically the outside temp reading stabilized after 10 minutes of driving: car was at normal operating temp and enough air had been blowing across the sensor.

Attachment 107435
Attachment 107436
Attachment 107437

The final step was using the Techstream Software and calibrating the ambient temp sensor to -3 degrees C (5.4 degrees F). This gave me outside temp readings that were within 1-3 degrees F of my weather app! Ambient temps in Las Vegas have been hovering between 45-85 degrees and the temp sensor has been pretty accurate within that range. The real test is when we start hitting triple digits in the summer months.

I realize this has no effect on the performance of this kit but just more of a fix if anyone was annoyed with the hugely inaccurate outside temp reading post install. YMMV. Hope this helps!

Attachment 114404Attachment 114405

Last edited by dj2020; 07-06-2015 at 05:23 PM.
dj2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:32 AM   #2136
2ndgenhachi

Drives: 2013 fr-s, sr20 180sx
Quote:
Did you order from us? Congrats!
Thanks Mike. Sorry to say I didn't order from u, as much as I wanted to go thru CSG I couldn't pass up the deal I got. But I'm holding CSG responsible for all my suspension, braking, and consumable needs. I'll be getting my exhaust system n flex fuel kit from u as well if I give in to the power hunger...
2ndgenhachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:13 PM   #2137
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven240 View Post
I think you're the same Mike that my friend Kevin spoke of. He's got a black 370z. He spoke of you tonight cause he's going to help me with my JR install. You said something about the bumper >_<
Ah, yeah I know Kevin
Old 04-19-2015, 05:14 PM   #2138
ScionOfHorus

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I think the first stage of the group buy may already be closed... but they're taking deposits for the second batch
Either way... Can't afford it. I'll be either getting the RCE yellow springs, or RCE Tarmac IIs. Depends on if I have to buy a new supercharger or not.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:22 AM   #2139
dj2020

Any of you guys running a catch can on the PCV side of things? Specifically I'm looking at the Mishimoto PCV can. Is it catching any oil? Street or track driven? I'm also wondering if it's necessary to have the additional CCV can for our boosted application. For a NA FRS/BRZ application, Mishimoto showed that it was not necessary to have a CCV can. I'm hoping someone can chime in with real world experience detailing if the CCV can is needed when boosted.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:35 AM   #2140
Xuningshen

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I had an interesting situation while i was a good 130 miles away from home. I was out in the desert, joshua tree, (3000ft elev) and my car threw a CEL p0172 as I was just normal driving along about 10 minutes after I been ringing the engine out a decent bit. I did notice the engine was pulling timing, I figured this could've been due to heat and elevation. anyways. to top that off, i had been camping for almost two days and accidently hit a stupid low rock reversing out of a parking spot and it pushed my exhaust back 2"... which i was able to just pull back and after visual inspection the exhaust did not look damaged, as good as i could see from under the car using the emergency jack. this threw off my initial diagnosis. I thought it might've caused a leak causing the o2 sensor to read incorrectly.

anyways. cleared the code for giggles, and yup, it came back. right after i cleared it, the car would not idle. it would die. i gave it gas and i guess fuel trims adjusted and it was able to idle... but LTFT was basically pegged at -25%.... yikes. STFT would spike up to 11%. so needless to say I kept it out of boost for the rest of the day I was there, and for my 2 hour drive back home.

got home... napped... because i had 6 hours of sleep over the past two days. and did some reading. I figured i'd try the easy thing first, and clean the maf sensor. 8 bucks later, and some electrical contact cleaner, sprayed the crap out of the whole maf sensor, let it dry, plugged it back in (CEL was still on, and had not been cleared. fired it up, my STFT reached a mighty 33% on cold start cat warmup and then it threw an additional code of p117b. scary... i decided to just clear the codes and start fresh. did that. and now the car seems to be fine fuel trims look fine. +/- 10% stft and +/- %% LTFT i'm sure they'll settled down even more after i get more than 20 miles on too. idled fine from the get go after the clearing the codes (which resets LTFTs)

I'm trying to get ideas on what exactly happened. and also want to know why my air filter is in such bad shape. after this I inspected my air filter. and its not just dirty, but physically damaged. two spots of the grating to it is frayed and at those same two spots (about 1/2" long by 1/16" wide, just a sliver that were facing down towards the fans so i couldn't see it) are super dirty. I'm going to order a new air filter. but I only have 6k miles on the kit? i know its dusty in the desert and all... but still... i'll do a UOA on this batch of oil and see my silicon content.

anyways super tired from my camping trip, post might be rambling dunno. any thoughts?

tl:dr. Maf sensor dirty(did not look dirty to my naked eye, cleaned anyway), threw code p0172, only 6k miles on air filter, filter looks slightly damaged in two spots, not from my own handling abuse. cleaned maf and all appears good. wut?

Last edited by Xuningshen; 04-20-2015 at 01:17 PM.
Xuningshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:53 AM   #2141
Xuningshen

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2020 View Post
Any of you guys running a catch can on the PCV side of things? Specifically I'm looking at the Mishimoto PCV can. Is it catching any oil? Street or track driven? I'm also wondering if it's necessary to have the additional CCV can for our boosted application. For a NA FRS/BRZ application, Mishimoto showed that it was not necessary to have a CCV can. I'm hoping someone can chime in with real world experience detailing if the CCV can is needed when boosted.
I'm running a catch can PCV, and I only noticed a very very small amount of oil in there, only after canyon run. otherwise, daily driving my radium catch can doesn't catch anything. I need to get the other crankcase vent catch can asap.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:55 AM   #2142
dj2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuningshen View Post
I'm running a catch can PCV, and I only noticed a very very small amount of oil in there, only after canyon run. otherwise, daily driving my radium catch can doesn't catch anything. I need to get the other crankcase vent catch can asap.

You think you'll more likely catch oil on the CCV side of things vs the PCV?