follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-05-2017, 08:09 AM   #15
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
According to this guy it did:

"So I finally got the FR-S on the Dyno.

This was my procedure.

-Unhook neg terminal
-Wait 5 minutes or so
-Hook neg cable back up, run car for 5-10 minutes.
-Do 3 dyno runs.

-Unhook neg terminal
-Install TRD intake
-Hook neg cable back up, run for 5-10 minutes
-Do 3 more runs

This way I believe to be the best, as it makes it so I am comparing apples to apples. My car has around 3500km on it, and it has the TRD exhaust as well.

First 3 runs are as follows:
1. 162.9hp - 133.52tq
2. 166.05hp - 136.51tq
3. 167.95hp - 136.73tq

After the TRD intake was installed (within an hour, so similar temp etc)
1. 174.39hp - 143.59tq
2. 175.6hp - 144.2tq
3. 170.02hp - 141.16tq - Something was up on this last run as I felt the car shift a bit on the dyno. I was satisfied with the figures so we just took it off."
And a drop in filter will get you half those "gains" on a dyno for 1/10 of the price.

Plus, look at the differences between runs. Up to 5hp and 3ft-lbs. hardly what I'd call reliable. Not to mention, saying "I gained 10hp and 10 ft-lbs" means fuck all when you take the lowest reading run, and the highest instead of averaging them out.

Last edited by Cole; 04-05-2017 at 08:19 AM.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (06-09-2017), Tcoat (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 08:29 AM   #16
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

This was my procedure.

-Unhook neg terminal
-Wait 5 minutes or so
-Do 3 dyno runs.

-Unhook neg terminal
-Install TRD intake
-Do 3 more runs

This way I believe to be the best, as it makes it so I am comparing apples to apples. My car has around 3500km on it, and it has the TRD exhaust as well.

1. 162.9hp - 133.52tq
2. 166.05hp - 136.51tq
3. 167.95hp - 136.73tq

1. 174.39hp - 143.59tq
2. 175.6hp - 144.2tq
3. 170.02hp - 141.16tq - Something was up on this last run as I felt the car shift a bit on the dyno. I was satisfied with the figures so we just took it off."
That is one of hundreds of readings most of which showed less than 5 (which still remains in the margin of error for any dyno). Hell, there was a 5 hp variation in readings between the highest and lowest on what you posted alone. Contrary to popular belief dynos are not precision instruments and results should not be blindly trusted.

Even TRD does not claim a 10HP increase from the intake alone but states "Up to 10HP WITH an exhaust". When you consider that they are going to publish the highest numbers they can that is not an optimistic statement.

There is no magic intake that you can just bolt on and see big gains from. Moving more air is doesn't mean a thing unless you are also moving more air out. Bang for the buck in improving HP still remains a drop in high flow filter, header and tune.

The TRD intake is beautiful and gives a great sound but you just simply are not increasing performance in any major way.
lantsalot (06-09-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 09:22 AM   #17
wulfstan

Drives: 2014 Whiteout Monogram 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
That is one of hundreds of readings most of which showed less than 5 (which still remains in the margin of error for any dyno). Hell, there was a 5 hp variation in readings between the highest and lowest on what you posted alone. Contrary to popular belief dynos are not precision instruments and results should not be blindly trusted.

Even TRD does not claim a 10HP increase from the intake alone but states "Up to 10HP WITH an exhaust". When you consider that they are going to publish the highest numbers they can that is not an optimistic statement.

There is no magic intake that you can just bolt on and see big gains from. Moving more air is doesn't mean a thing unless you are also moving more air out. Bang for the buck in improving HP still remains a drop in high flow filter, header and tune.

The TRD intake is beautiful and gives a great sound but you just simply are not increasing performance in any major way.
^Agree with above,
I would have been just fine with the drop-in, but I wanted the TRD Bling...
wulfstan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wulfstan For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 09:28 AM   #18
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfstan View Post
^Agree with above,
I would have been just fine with the drop-in, but I wanted the TRD Bling...
Yes much prettier than the stock box with a drop in. The big sticker that says "This filter is reusable do not throw away" stuck on my box is far from attractive. Don't want some new tech apprentice swapping it for stock though so I leave it there.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:28 PM   #19
UH60CE

Drives: 2017 Halo 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ok so I do have the trd intake and I have used it for about 7-8k miles and yesterday I removed the trd intake and reinstalled the factory airbox with the sound generator, and put a brand new toyota denso oem factory filter in it along with cleaning the maf sensor.
Comparison of the two oem setups:

1) trd intake has a slightly better throttle response and it feels like the car has a tiny bit more power and torque. Fuel economy isn't great becuase you want to rev the engine and drive. Sound is great about the same level with stock air box for me.

2)stock airbox with oem denso filter feels slightly sluggish compared to trd intake but on the higher rpms power and torque is feeling the same and sounds very good that signature 86 growl is amazing with cabin sound tube and catback exhaust from ptuning. Also I noticed fuel economy improved with the cotton oem filter. Throttle response is a little bit less sensitive compared to trd intake.

So I'm going to stick with the factory air box when daily driving for fuel efficiency reasons and if I ever go to a track I will put the trd intake just for track purpose. Also it is a backup intake system just in case something in my oem box breaks but with a catback exhaust and sound tube in cabin the driving enjoyment is unmatched! Maybe this is why Japan or Europe does not offer trd intake box?? I want to know the real reason I wonder why tetsuyo tada didn't design it because the trd box does make a little power but you sacrifice fuel efficiency and great sound in cabin

Last edited by UH60CE; 04-24-2017 at 12:38 PM.
UH60CE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:36 PM   #20
UH60CE

Drives: 2017 Halo 86
Japanese trd does not offer this intake part and offer the red
Cotton sports filter and say it's for track use only on a little side note. This makes me think that the cotton oem filter is more than satisfactory for filtering really good and still having good airflow. I used a kn drop in too before and it only made the stock intake box slightly louder and power and torque felt about the same when accelerating. So I think i finally found the most enjoyable sounding setup which is stock box with sound tube attached and stock filter and a good quality catback should do it.
UH60CE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:39 AM   #21
misterfly

Drives: Toyota 86 2017
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UH60CE View Post
Ok so I do have the trd intake and I have used it for about 7-8k miles and yesterday I removed the trd intake and reinstalled the factory airbox with the sound generator, and put a brand new toyota denso oem factory filter in it along with cleaning the maf sensor.
Comparison of the two oem setups:

1) trd intake has a slightly better throttle response and it feels like the car has a tiny bit more power and torque. Fuel economy isn't great becuase you want to rev the engine and drive. Sound is great about the same level with stock air box for me.

2)stock airbox with oem denso filter feels slightly sluggish compared to trd intake but on the higher rpms power and torque is feeling the same and sounds very good that signature 86 growl is amazing with cabin sound tube and catback exhaust from ptuning. Also I noticed fuel economy improved with the cotton oem filter. Throttle response is a little bit less sensitive compared to trd intake.

So I'm going to stick with the factory air box when daily driving for fuel efficiency reasons and if I ever go to a track I will put the trd intake just for track purpose. Also it is a backup intake system just in case something in my oem box breaks but with a catback exhaust and sound tube in cabin the driving enjoyment is unmatched! Maybe this is why Japan or Europe does not offer trd intake box?? I want to know the real reason I wonder why tetsuyo tada didn't design it because the trd box does make a little power but you sacrifice fuel efficiency and great sound in cabin
Hi mate, anychance you want to sell me this little part here on the picture since you use it only for track day :
Attached Images

misterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:27 PM   #22
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

This was my procedure.

-Unhook neg terminal
-Wait 5 minutes or so
-Do 3 dyno runs.

-Unhook neg terminal
-Install TRD intake
-Do 3 more runs

1. 162.9hp - 133.52tq
2. 166.05hp - 136.51tq
3. 167.95hp - 136.73tq

1. 174.39hp - 143.59tq
2. 175.6hp - 144.2tq

OK im going to assume you were on stock tune and the only mod was intake.

The stock tune has the IAM initial to 0.7, so after ecu is reset the IAM will be 0.7 (almost every tuner first thing they will do ia set IAM initial to 1).

Straight after ecu reset (or ignition off/on) on stock tune IAM will be 0.7 this means you wont be running full ignition timing until the car has seen some run time without significant knock and it usually needs a few passes through most of the rpm range before the ecu will increase the iam to 1.

also when IAM is less than 1 not only is ignition timing reduced, but the ecu also add a little more fuel enrichment (ie richer) both these strategies designed to combat knock.

So if you reset ecu then throw stock car on dyno you will get low power figures. initially. After a few pulls through to max rpms, iam will likely increase to 1 and power will rise.

Also on ECU reset you going to set all your ltft bands to zero, so the fuelling may be a little off until the ecu gets some learn time again it need time at varing rpm not just sitting idling, this may also effect power slightly one way or the other.

These two things will likely explain the increasing power figures seen on successive dyno runs.

Stock 2012-2016 cars run pretty rich down to 10 afr, this is not the best for max power see OL Fuel table from stock rom below.

Quite a few intakes appear to be designed to alter the air flow past maf sensor to lean out the afr on a stock car

see intake shootout here
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19413

Note the intakes that "make" power are also the ones that cause a stock car to run leaner usually in the 12 afr range which is what you want to target for best power. The ones loosing power generally make it run even richer.

So whats rearly happening with most intakes is they lean the overly rich stock AFR and hence they produce some power on a stock car stock tune.

However you could get most of that power by just leaning the fuel tables in tune and almost all of it by leaning the tune afr tables and a drop in filter.

Once you get a tune and run correct AFR for max power, most intakes make very little if any power over a stock intake with drop in filter and maybe a cut off snorkel.

Last edited by steve99; 06-09-2017 at 12:42 PM.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (06-09-2017), StraightOuttaCanadaEh (06-09-2017), zeal86 (06-09-2017)
Old 04-02-2018, 11:06 AM   #23
Roadcone
StreetKart

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
but TRD Bling is +5hp. There is zero denying that.

on the topic of stock tune with intakes tho. I noticed that the car had a much better part throttle feel with my TRD intake vs drop-in, silicone tube and cut snorkel on my 14. I also noticed a completely different intake sound even tho I had deleted all of the resonators from the factory setup.

IDK if it made a real gain but it looks and sounds cool... and for the 150 i have invested in mine, totally worth it. Grams TB and 17+ intake manifold go on next... other "worthless" 1-2hp mods from what I keep reading about.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:27 AM   #24
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I had the TRD intake on my FRS for a few years.

Other than look cool and get rid of the stupid sound tube.....

it did absolutely D!CK

If you want to do anything with the intake get a drop in and spend your money elsewhere.

(also don't wast money on a lightweight pulley set either, it does D!CK as well)
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:56 AM   #25
Roadcone
StreetKart

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
(also don't wast money on a lightweight pulley set either, it does D!CK as well)
no, it'll tear up your bearings in the end lol. I do have a lightweight alternator and water pump pulley i need to install. .1hp is .1hp!