follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 10-26-2011, 09:00 PM   #1
LexusFman

Drives: None
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How do you think toyota will change in the following years.

A lot of good Toyota news is showing up in the press. The FT-86 is nearing production. The automaker is returning to LeMans for the 2012/2013 season with a Hybrid LMP1 car. Rumors of a 2014 Supra are arising (but Supra rumors are far from uncommon). Akio Toyoda said he wanted to bring more sportiness in to the Toyota lineup and it seems he's succeeding. My question is how do you think this will change Toyota as a brand? Do you think the G's line is going to hit the sates? Will we see a Toyota Corolla G's or a Toyota Camry G's? How far do you thing the G's lineup will go? Will it rival names like Type R, ///M, or STi or do you think it will be more of a TRD version with only light tuning done? Will Toyota's D4-S system trickle down into it's road cars? Will Toyota as a whole become more sporty and will things like driving feel factor more into making a car like the Corolla or Camry? Do you think Toyota's sports car efforts will be profitable or worth it? I'd liek to hear your opinion.
LexusFman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
MiguelAE86

Drives: NB Miata
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
My belief, Toyota will take a look back in history to its prime years, and become the loving 70's-90's Toyota we all love and care for <3
MiguelAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #3
MF_DEUCE
Adventure Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
This article should tell you how the U.S. auto market MAY look like in the future. I doubt it'll match what they used to produce but I'm guessing we should have more hybrid sports cars, im assuming if this article holds true or not.
http://www.calif.aaa.com/westways/20...www.google.com

Only time will tell.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:14 PM   #4
LexusFman

Drives: None
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MF_DEUCE View Post
This article should tell you how the U.S. auto market MAY look like in the future. I doubt it'll match what they used to produce but I'm guessing we should have more hybrid sports cars, im assuming if this article holds true or not.
http://www.calif.aaa.com/westways/20...www.google.com

Only time will tell.
So basically we will never see a time like the 1990's ever again? I'm too young to enjoy that age!
LexusFman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:25 PM   #5
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
toyota is going to continue to change in ways that increase profits or at least try. thats what businesses do
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:22 AM   #6
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Toyota will build sporty cars, but it's probably equipped with small displacements, hybrid motors or electric motors. There is no newer way to improve fuel efficient to meet CAFE, at least not for now.
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:05 AM   #7
MF_DEUCE
Adventure Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusFman View Post
So basically we will never see a time like the 1990's ever again? I'm too young to enjoy that age!
Only time will tell.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:34 AM   #8
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Aside from safety regulations, there's nothing really stopping cars from having good performance. A large engine needs not be significantly thirstier. Good example would be the BMW 328 (with N52, Valvematic and double VANOS), which gets great fuel economy for a car that's not exactly lightweight. Throttling loss is the biggest reason why bigger engines are bad fuel economy wise. Now if the displacement is too high like the Nissan VQ37VHR then it'll have a bit of trouble naturally, but extremely tall gearing can almost fix that, as the Mclaren MP4-12C proves.

The benefit that increased efficiency provides is that manufacturers can afford to tune the engine more aggressively at max power since the better fuel economy/emissions at lower loads will offset the less efficient operation at high power. Lighter cars are no doubt better for performance, and better aerodynamics help as well.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:15 AM   #9
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Aside from safety regulations, there's nothing really stopping cars from having good performance. A large engine needs not be significantly thirstier. Good example would be the BMW 328 (with N52, Valvematic and double VANOS), which gets great fuel economy for a car that's not exactly lightweight. Throttling loss is the biggest reason why bigger engines are bad fuel economy wise. Now if the displacement is too high like the Nissan VQ37VHR then it'll have a bit of trouble naturally, but extremely tall gearing can almost fix that, as the Mclaren MP4-12C proves.

The benefit that increased efficiency provides is that manufacturers can afford to tune the engine more aggressively at max power since the better fuel economy/emissions at lower loads will offset the less efficient operation at high power. Lighter cars are no doubt better for performance, and better aerodynamics help as well.
I think sports cars are exempt from having the more stringent CAFE numbers since most of them sell in small numbers like the 370Z you just referenced. It actually gets good mpg for its weight which is 27 mpg highway and that's without D/I. I think the next Z should be like the FR-s where Nissan goes down to 2700 lbs in weight and ditch the 3.7l for a 2.0-2.5l D/I turbo motor with 300hp/300tq even though I love 6's more than 4's.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:58 PM   #10
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Yea I agree, drop the weight, maybe use 2.5L V6 adding VVEL and direct injection, maybe turbo, go for the same power/weight ratio. If they improve some stuff I can imagine high 30s on the highway. The G25 gets like, 20/29? VVEL can add 2-3mpg more easy, cut some weight, we're looking at close to 30 combined. A high 20s maybe 30 mpg combined car that sells in small numbers isn't going to hurt the average too much, at least not if the standard is 39mpg for small cars.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:18 PM   #11
Sea1monkey2

Drives: 2003 Impala
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I want to see them break off into Toyota (the fun sporty car company) and Prius (the...priusssssesss)
Old 10-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #12
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea1monkey2 View Post
I want to see them break off into Toyota (the fun sporty car company) and Prius (the...priusssssesss)
And Scion (the......)
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:29 PM   #13
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea1monkey2 View Post
Plural of Prius is Prii.LOL

I don't see why they want to make Toyota a sporty brand. Add one or two sport cars maybe.
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #14
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
By the way Toyota is hyping up the Prius, I have a feeling they might go the green route and Scion and Lexus will be the black sheeps.