follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-06-2016, 02:44 PM   #141
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Why is this thread so long...

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:02 PM   #142
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Why is this thread so long...
It's only long because of the misinformation and everyone rebutting said misinformation and making jokes about it along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:30 PM   #143
mdm
not a twin owner

Drives: 2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D Design View Post
You guys are rough on me though, I'm 59 and you should show some respect for your elders.

Speaking just for me, I wasn't rough on you, nor I disprespected you. I just see no reason to take anyone's word for truth, even if they are firm believers (probably less so in such case). Unless they can support their claims with properly collected evidence and logic. Age has nothing to do it. And I am not that young either.

If anything, I find making claims without any support and demanding that others believe you just because you are 59 and you say so, more disrespectful than asking for evidence or explanation.

Oh, and I am still curious what a lubricant added to fuel is supposed to lubricate.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mdm For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (05-06-2016), strat61caster (05-11-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 06:40 PM   #144
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
I concede. I'm done talking about Octane Booster. I have never put any in my FRS or Stage 3 Roush. 93 V-Power is just fine where I live. I knew there would be a stink created, but my JDM Nissan engine ran so much better with it. It wanted the boost and I was very happy to spend the extra money.

You guys are rough on me though, I'm 59 and you should show some respect for your elders. Also, if you were in the same room with me... I think you would use your words wisely. I will go back to my shop and brush off the hurt some of you inflicted and get over it. At least in my mind I had fun with octane boost. This is the last that I will mention the subject.
Most of us don't even know your age or care and we weren't being rough on you. We simply don't trust snake oil with no evidential proof.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
mdm (05-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 07:53 PM   #145
Toyarzee
Shibby!

Drives: '14 White FR-S, '01 turbo mini taco
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Lol @ the back end of this thread. I kept avoiding after the first page but it keeps getting bumped. Finally read through and now this is all I can think of.
Attached Images

Toyarzee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toyarzee For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (05-06-2016), Tcoat (05-07-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 08:02 PM   #146
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
You guys are rough on me though, I'm 59 and you should show some respect for your elders. Also, if you were in the same room with me... I think you would use your words wisely. I will go back to my shop and brush off the hurt some of you inflicted and get over it. At least in my mind I had fun with octane boost. This is the last that I will mention the subject.
@Big D Design

Well, now, old timer, I hope you don't go away "butt hurt", as some of the youngsters on here would say.

Back-in-the-day, our generation would usually take the word of the old time mechanics as "truth". But, back then, things (auto knowledge) didn't change that fast. For example, there wasn't a hell of a lot of difference in the way a Model A Ford engine worked ...... than a 1950 automobile engine worked.

Plus, the choices were fewer (simpler); detergent or non-detergent oil; alcohol or Prestone anti-freeze; Champion or AC spark plugs; leaded or non-leaded, high-test or regular gasoline.

A timing light, dwell meter, feeler gauge, a screwdriver, a pair of pliers, a ½ & 9/16 wrench was all that was needed to tune up an engine. Throw in a ¾” wrench and you could overhaul an engine.

Knowledge of “how to do it” was either from the older mechanic or tattered and torn, grease smudged maintenance manual (if you could find it - thrown behind the shelf, under the mechanics bench). Today, the Internet is full of information – so EVERYBODY can be an “expert” without ever getting their hands greasy.

So, where do us old, shade tree mechanics fit it ……. ?? Very carefully ……

For example, you may have noted, that I preface many of my comments and suggestions with phrases like “back in the day” and "it’s my understanding that", or "it's been my experience" ……etc.

So, us old guys got to stick together if we are going to keep the young-ens in line. After all, we know how to tune an old engine with our ears ……. if they lose power on their laptop computer ….. their car is nothing but a worthless hunk of junk.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Cole (05-11-2016), Tcoat (05-07-2016), Ultramaroon (05-11-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 08:09 AM   #147
RichardsFRS

Drives: 2013 Pearl White 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
I concede. I'm done talking about Octane Booster. I have never put any in my FRS or Stage 3 Roush. 93 V-Power is just fine where I live. I knew there would be a stink created, but my JDM Nissan engine ran so much better with it. It wanted the boost and I was very happy to spend the extra money.

Man get over it, they're still young padawans swinging junior light sabres. They will be old to like us and they will say damn kids won't listen and think they know everything. Like our parents did lol
Old 05-11-2016, 12:07 PM   #148
Zhangy

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The bolded I agree with 100%.
The rest of it is bunk.

Calm down about low octane gas on this cheap sports car, you need to have some faith with modern technology. You lose some horsepower that's about it. Ecoboost mustang with 10:1 compression runs perfectly fine on regular, it is 306hp on 93 but goes down to 260hp on 87.
Zhangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:12 PM   #149
Zhangy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
They still knock dangerously on the stock tune with anything under 91 if you get into boost. Higher Octane is required in cars with high compression because under high compression the lower octane fuel will combust before TDC, this is "knock"(our FA20). In order for the car to adjust for itthe knock has to occur and it has to adjust and attempt to predict it after the knock occurs for the next knock. That is where the extra wear will occur, in fact it happened to people's di seals in early tunes and FA20s.

However, the GT500s have pretty low compression due to the super charger (I think its less than 9:1). They require high octane because of the supercharger. As long as the sc is not putting boost into the engine, the compression of air should be the factory 9.1:1; this does not require special fuel. But when the boost is applied, even slight throttle, you end up with 16-18psi sitting in the chamber at BDC Bottom dead center
then you compress it by 8.4:1, and you end up with a really high pressure - this requires high octane so it doesn't ignite itself too early. This is a similar issue to the FRS.

The sheer higher compression can cause the pre-ignition, engines with similar compression like skyactiv and such got away with lower octane by cooling exhaust gases quickly and such but the result is less power. The FRS however has some equal length headers and 4 injectors per cylinder etc etc to get us that 200 hp or 100hp per liter...

Yes, we all need to calm down about low octane gas on this cheap sports car.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/05/2...-on-87-octane/

Ecoboost mustang with 10:1 compression runs perfectly fine on regular, it is 310hp on 93 but goes down to 275hp on 87.

GUESS WHAT mustang says Requires 93-octane premium fuel... have faith in anti-knock technology
Old 05-11-2016, 12:15 PM   #150
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhangy View Post

Yes, we all need to calm down about low octane gas on this cheap sports car.

Ecoboost mustang with 10:1 compression runs perfectly fine on regular, it is 310hp on 93 but goes down to 275hp on 87.

GUESS WHAT mustang says Requires 93-octane premium fuel.
Quote:
Calm down about low octane gas on this cheap sports car, you need to have some faith with modern technology. You lose some horsepower that's about it. Ecoboost mustang with 10:1 compression runs perfectly fine on regular, it is 306hp on 93 but goes down to 260hp on 87.

The ecoboost is no N/A FR-S it's a turbo motor, in the ecoboost people have already noticing issues with LSPI. That's reason enough to not use 87, especially with ford rushing out tsbs with different tunes to fix it.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:38 PM   #151
Zhangy

Quote:
Please provide source for this. I am very curious as to who made this "rule".
https://books.google.ca/books?id=afY...octane&f=false

https://www.google.ca/search?q=inter...+%2B+standards

There are internal combustion engine design standards which must takes into account of fuel octane volatility and knock management. I've only read it briefly, but I assume 87 octane satisfies internal combustion engine design standards. because sometimes the 91 octane you buy will be like ~88 octane anyways
Old 05-11-2016, 12:59 PM   #152
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
https://books.google.ca/books?id=afY...octane&f=false

https://www.google.ca/search?q=inter...+%2B+standards

There are internal combustion engine design standards which must takes into account of fuel octane volatility and knock management. I've only read it briefly, but I assume 87 octane satisfies internal combustion engine design standards. because sometimes the 91 octane you buy will be like ~88 octane anyways
LOL The very first complete sentence of the material you provided debunks you theory completely!
Attached Images

Cole (05-11-2016), FRSBRZGT86FAN (06-21-2018), HunterGreene (05-11-2016), KR-S (05-11-2016), soulreapersteve (05-11-2016), strat61caster (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 01:47 PM   #153
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatScan View Post
A lawyer made the decision regarding octane, not an engineer.
Because lawyers build and design engines. Trust me, if anything, the Lawyers try to relax safety margins instead of reinforce them. An educated, intelligent engineer gets very nervous when you start approaching safety tolerances...because they know what can happen.

smh @ this thread.
Quote:
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HunterGreene For This Useful Post:
KR-S (05-11-2016), soulreapersteve (05-11-2016), strat61caster (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 03:27 PM   #154
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
This shit again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KR-S For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (05-12-2016)