follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-28-2014, 11:30 AM   #99
Suberman
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ Sport Tech Satin White
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gords_zenith View Post
I'm not sure either. Also, to add your also not allowed to shift while going through an intersection from a stop. Just a FYI. Suberman has answered why somewhere in one of these threads lol.
In the olden days with a crash gearbox you could miss a shift and get stuck in the intersection. Why that was thought to be a particular hazard is interesting in itself but in an intersection which you entered but did not have right of way then perhaps having to coast was thought to be dangerous. I can't remember the last time I missed a shift.

The other reason is it is generally not smart to try and shift while corner in as you often are when traversing intersections. If you're driving straight through I see no reason to refrain from shifting if rpm and road speed make it appropriate to do so. Interestingly all automatics can shift perfectly happily during a corner and so can all racing drivers. You just need to do it perfectly. Which of course automatics do.

Like a lot of crapola bandied about as good driving techniques the no shift in an intersection is based on out of date information, ancient almost. Like forbidding coasting, or worrying about brake fade (modern brakes start to smoke heavily before they fade to the point of danger) or brake failure (can't happen now),
Suberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Suberman For This Useful Post:
brzr (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 11:37 AM   #100
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suberman View Post
Interesting. This is not required by our drivers test handbook.

In the UK, if you are stopped for any length of time you must switch off the engine and apply the handbrake.

Wonder where those driving instructors expect you to move to "suddenly" if you're stopped in a line of traffic at a red light.
It's not in the handbook for Ontario either and when she failed she was devastated and pretty damn mad afterwards. Needless to say, all of us learnt from that and scrutinized the sheet and made sure we knew what they were looking for.

I used to have a photocopy of it but it's long since gone missing (it has been over 15 years). Maybe I can dig it up this weekend when I finally clear out my room at my parents place lol...

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:07 PM   #101
calidus

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
As someone who driven a 14 year old automatic economy car for most of his life, it taking a long time to get mentally comfortable seeing 3k, 4k or god forbid 5k rpms on the tachometer. Part of my brain still goes WTF are you doing you car is going to explode.
calidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:42 PM   #102
BRZfan

Drives: 2013BRZ Premium St Silver Metallic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Shifting thru intersection

Not shifting thru an intersection might be a normal rule for a driving student but let us not have other forum members think that it is illegal.

Note: Another example - not shifting when crossing railroad tracks altho I do not recommend that, legal or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gords_zenith View Post
Also, to add your also not allowed to shift while going through an intersection from a stop.
BRZfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:52 PM   #103
BRZfan

It would depend upon traffic conditions, weather conditions. gear ratios in transmission and differential. Think about semis (tractor/trailers) that may go thru five gears before they clear the intersection.

With the BRZ first gear ratio I am almost ALWAYS in second gear before I clear the intersection. Many right turns (in USA) is a normal exception.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
I can't see why I would be shifting from 1st to 2nd in mid intersection from a standstill start.
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZfan For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 01:02 PM   #104
BRZfan

DONTWORRYABOUTIT!

Just keep an eye on that little 'redline" on the tach-o-meter. With enuf practice you will get 'zen' with the sound of the engine.
Zen:
One way to think of zen is this: a total state of focus that incorporates a total togetherness of body and mind. Zen is a way of being. It also is a state of mind. Zen involves dropping illusion and seeing things without distortion created by your own thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calidus View Post
As someone who driven a 14 year old automatic economy car for most of his life, it taking a long time to get mentally comfortable seeing 3k, 4k or god forbid 5k rpms on the tachometer. Part of my brain still goes WTF are you doing you car is going to explode.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRZfan For This Useful Post:
calidus (01-29-2014), SirBrass (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 01:45 PM   #105
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I used to shift from 1st to 2nd at 7300 RPM on my old AW11 - lawl.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frost For This Useful Post:
b rawr z (02-07-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 01:57 PM   #106
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
I didn't read the entire thread but that SubaruWRXFan kid doesn't seem to know how to rev match properly. You don't stab on the gas pedal like a mad man. How the hell would he rev match at a slower speed? Probably can't ROFL!
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:38 PM   #107
Want.FR-S

Drives: 4 Wheels Auto
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
So I paid some attention during a stop and turn in one lane road. I was able to reach 3K rpm just about the time I turn into the street, just like @Frost said. However, I don't think I can do this on a 4 lane road.

I looked at a testing paper done in 08' and during the starting of "Stop Intersection" there is a line said: "Hands-Gears: One hand/gear change". It seems that if you leave your hand on gear shift during the starting after the stop at light, you will be marked. Furthermore, if you change gear, you will be marked as well...
Want.FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:41 PM   #108
Want.FR-S

Drives: 4 Wheels Auto
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
I didn't read the entire thread but that SubaruWRXFan kid doesn't seem to know how to rev match properly. You don't stab on the gas pedal like a mad man. How the hell would he rev match at a slower speed? Probably can't ROFL!
I just learned to see and think anything before you believe it is true. Able, or willing, to post information on the net does not make you an expert on it, myself included.

My personal goal in driving a manual transmission car is: if I can shift it as smooth as how an automatic transmission shift *without* putting too much strain or premature wear on the car, I have done a good job with it.
Want.FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Want.FR-S For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (01-28-2014)
Old 01-28-2014, 07:09 PM   #109
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoywhiz View Post
Heel / Toe lesson: fast forward @ 13:37 on the video

What this guy is saying throughout, especially after the heel-toe tutorial (though correct me if I'm wrong, but is that accelerator pedal floor mounted instead of hanging?) is exactly what my autocross instructors where focusing on almost 90% of the time last time: LOOK for the apex and your hands will do the rest.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:18 PM   #110
Suberman
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ Sport Tech Satin White
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Imagine how 7,400 feels. This engine actually pulls right through the limiter which is pretty unusual. More normally an engine is designed to taper off the hp as the limiter is approached but this engine loves to rev and pulls right to redline. You'll find yourself revved out frequently in first and second just driving a little aggressively. Don't do that on your driving test though!

And likely the engine is safe at even higher rpm but you can't get there except by shifting down too early, rev limiter. Don't advise that, not covered by warranty.
Suberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:16 AM   #111
calidus

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
After putting a 100 miles of city driving on the car I am getting much more comfortable(stupid weather has prevented me from driving it as much as I would like). I still need a lot of practice on hills.

I was wonder if I could get some general advice when it comes to driving a manual when you get in shitty situations? Things like trying to avoid accidents and sliding on ice.
calidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:22 AM   #112
mx555

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
After putting a 100 miles of city driving on the car I am getting much more comfortable(stupid weather has prevented me from driving it as much as I would like). I still need a lot of practice on hills.

I was wonder if I could get some general advice when it comes to driving a manual when you get in shitty situations? Things like trying to avoid accidents and sliding on ice.
There's a ton of general advise floating around; drive slow, keep your distance, try not to stop on a hill, don't keep your rpms too high.

We have a torsen differential, they don't work well on ice. Pull the e-brake up slightly when you're stuck or on ice. This will force the diff to apply power to both wheels.
mx555 is offline   Reply With Quote