follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 05-16-2016, 07:07 PM   #85
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzaapi View Post
No vid yet. This is the best pic i have at the moment.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1463435784
is it permanently mounted to the floor? I just saw those hinges (or coasters?) and I am not sure if it's mounted to the floor or just resting on the coasters lol
Old 05-16-2016, 07:30 PM   #86
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
No vid yet. This is the best pic i have at the moment.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1463435784

wow very nice!
you're baller!
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zc06_kisstherain For This Useful Post:
brzaapi (05-17-2016)
Old 05-17-2016, 05:38 PM   #87
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Drives: 2018 BRZ Ts - CWP
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
is it permanently mounted to the floor? I just saw those hinges (or coasters?) and I am not sure if it's mounted to the floor or just resting on the coasters lol

Nope, not attached. I will try and get a video later. Actually the lift is at my friends house right now and we are installing RX8 hubs on his Miata, so he can run extra rubber without killing his bearings.

I will get the lift back home soon and make a quick video. I have some Coilovers i need to install.
brzaapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:04 PM   #88
zc06_kisstherain

Garage
Quote:
Nope, not attached. I will try and get a video later. Actually the lift is at my friends house right now and we are installing RX8 hubs on his Miata, so he can run extra rubber without killing his bearings.

I will get the lift back home soon and make a quick video. I have some Coilovers i need to install.
haha...same here...bought my Tein Flex Z with Cusco LCA last November and it's still sitting in my room lol
Old 05-19-2016, 05:17 PM   #89
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
A few more pics that i had on my wifes phone.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1463692578

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1463692578

You can also take it apart in a couple of minutes and load into to the back of a car. The heaviest piece is about 55lbs.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to brzaapi For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 06:14 PM   #90
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
A few more pics that i had on my wifes phone.

You can also take it apart in a couple of minutes and load into to the back of a car. The heaviest piece is about 55lbs.
Looks nice. I'm interested, but the website video said it was 4" high when all the way down. I don't think that would clear my skirts. How tight is it on your car, do you have side skirts, and have you lowered?
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kch For This Useful Post:
fguadamuz (08-10-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 07:12 AM   #91
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kch View Post
Looks nice. I'm interested, but the website video said it was 4" high when all the way down. I don't think that would clear my skirts. How tight is it on your car, do you have side skirts, and have you lowered?

Great question. A video would show you best, and I will get one made but it will be a week or two out since the lift is in use right now at a friends house.

But the short answer to your question is no. My olde BRZ had side skirts and was lowered around an inch. It was always a pain. My current BRZ does not have skirts, and I have not put on my JRZ coils yet.

However, there is something you can do. It will take an extra 5 mins or so. You basically need to run your car up on a little ramp or block, that will lift your car a couple of inches in the front. Yep, an extra step is needed, but for me well worth it.

The QuickJack may work for your ride height, straight from the ground. As long as you get the lift height you want from the quickjack, you are good to go. But i wanted something that lifted almost a foot higher. So i roll my front wheels up on a baby ramp. And then slide the EZCarlift under the car and I am good to go.

I will show some pics and a video later, so you see that it works with an extra step. I understand your frustration with being lowered and having skirts, but that is the price. Still, the good news is both options would work for you.

Bendpak is quicker to lift, but lower height.

EZcarlift is slower to lift, but lifts higher.

There isn't a wrong answer, it is truly dependent from person to person.

Pics are coming.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:10 AM   #92
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Great question. A video would show you best, and I will get one made but it will be a week or two out since the lift is in use right now at a friends house.

But the short answer to your question is no. My olde BRZ had side skirts and was lowered around an inch. It was always a pain. My current BRZ does not have skirts, and I have not put on my JRZ coils yet.

However, there is something you can do. It will take an extra 5 mins or so. You basically need to run your car up on a little ramp or block, that will lift your car a couple of inches in the front. Yep, an extra step is needed, but for me well worth it.

The QuickJack may work for your ride height, straight from the ground. As long as you get the lift height you want from the quickjack, you are good to go. But i wanted something that lifted almost a foot higher. So i roll my front wheels up on a baby ramp. And then slide the EZCarlift under the car and I am good to go.

I will show some pics and a video later, so you see that it works with an extra step. I understand your frustration with being lowered and having skirts, but that is the price. Still, the good news is both options would work for you.

Bendpak is quicker to lift, but lower height.

EZcarlift is slower to lift, but lifts higher.

There isn't a wrong answer, it is truly dependent from person to person.

Pics are coming.
Thanks for the input. One more question, and it might be a silly one. Can the width be adjusted?
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:24 PM   #93
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kch View Post
Thanks for the input. One more question, and it might be a silly one. Can the width be adjusted?
Not silly, I asked the same one.

The two cross bars come in 4 different sizes. The ones I have work for 80% of the cars out there. But EZcarlift offers the other pairs for around $75.00 per size. So far I havent required a different size and likely won't.

The bars add a lot of rigidity and stability, you only really need the front bar installed after you raise the vehicle. Though the crossbars have never been in my way yet, if needed you could raise the car and remove the rear bar. I doubt i will have the need to do this, but its nice to know that i can. The front bar however encompasses a driveshaft that connects the two gearboxes on either lift assy. This is what makes each side lift equal to each other.

I suppose you could drive each side independently, but i am not playing that game. So, yes, you can adjust the width if needed. The proper way is to use one of the 4 pairs of crossbars that are sold with the EZcarlift. The website has a list of vehicles on it, and it advises you which ones you should purchase. But like i said, the crossbars that i have will fit the majority of cars out there.
The Following User Says Thank You to brzaapi For This Useful Post:
kch (05-20-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 08:06 AM   #94
zc06_kisstherain

Garage
@kch,

i am not lowered yet but i have STI side skirts.
it clears with quickjack. i have flex z to install and going to drop 1.2 inch and thinking it will still clear my jack
Old 08-06-2016, 11:22 PM   #95
zc06_kisstherain

Garage
I used my quickjack for my wife's RDX oil change and tire rotation today. yay!

Old 08-07-2016, 10:01 AM   #96
TRAKRAVN

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS - Raven
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have the BL-7000SLX at home and it clears no problem at stock height. I will measure the clearance to see how low a car can be and still use it. I should have bought one of these long ago.
TRAKRAVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:54 PM   #97
zc06_kisstherain

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAKRAVN View Post
I have the BL-7000SLX at home and it clears no problem at stock height. I will measure the clearance to see how low a car can be and still use it. I should have bought one of these long ago.

great!
I still havent installed coilover but will appreciate if you can give me an update.
i have wood climb on if it doesnt clear though
Old 08-10-2016, 12:39 AM   #98
TRAKRAVN

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS - Raven
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
From the bottom of the pinch weld to the top of the shortest block is about 1.5" in the front of the car. So I'd say you could lower it about 1" with the BL-7000 and 1.5" with the BL-5000 since it's about 1/2" shorter.
TRAKRAVN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TRAKRAVN For This Useful Post:
saltywetman (04-30-2020), zc06_kisstherain (08-10-2016)