follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 04-10-2017, 08:01 PM   #1
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Drives: Green '17 BRZ Sport-Tech MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
JBezugs' 2017 BRZ

2023-05-16 Update:
Let the record show that it only took me 1 month of the car being out of storage before getting bored of the OEM exhaust. I've replaced it with the brand new DC Sports Axleback Muffler, and it is perfect! Check the latest post!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2022-10-18 Update:
Still enjoying the car, but I wasn't enjoying the R400 anymore with all the highway driving I'm doing now. Kept the JDL 4-2-1 header on and reinstalled the OEM catback. No more drone! Sound clips are in the most recent post

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2020-07-02 Update:
Some nice photos now that I've installed my Greddy Oil Cooler and Front Lip. Just have to pick up some pads and fluid then hit the track!

2020-05-14 Update:
Exactly one year later, and probably one of my final (?) updates!

Tein Flex Z Coilovers, UltraPower adjustable LCAs and H&R DRS 15mm spacers installed, with the car aligned and corner balanced at XIIIMotorsports. Drives absolutely awesome.

More info on Page 3!

I researched the FT86 platform extensively (lurking this forum since 2012) and planned mods for years in university (lots of daydreaming) before actually buying a BRZ once I graduated. It feels great to almost be at the finish line of my original vision.

Now that I've hit this point, here's a full mod list is below for those who are curious (in order).
Installed Mods:
  • Invidia R400 Catback (June 2017) REMOVED AND SOLD
  • ft86speedfactory short shifter (February 2018)
  • Green Wrap by InzenSkin (June 2018)
  • Pioneer AVH-ZL5150BT (July 2018)
  • Gram Lights 57Cs (17x7.5 +48) (April 2019)
  • JDL 4-2-1 EL Header w/ Titanium Cerakote and OnPoint Dyno Tune (April 2019)
  • Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 215/45R17 (April 2020)
  • Tein Flex Z Coilovers (April 2020)
  • UltraPower (Rock Auto) LCAs (April 2020)
  • H&R 15mm DRS Spacers (April 2020)
  • Racingbees STI Replica Front Lip (May 2020)
  • Greddy Limited Edition Oil Cooler (Unit 25/50) (June 2020)
  • Endless MX72 pads w/ RF650 Fluid (August 2020)
  • DC Sports Axleback Muffler (May 2023)

What's left to install?
  • N/A

2019-05-14 Update:

Another year, more mods.

Got a set of Gram Lights 57C's which look fantastic!

Also, POWER MODS!

First person in Canada to have JDL's new 4-2-1 EL Header installed and tuned on my car, and what a great header option from them. More info on page 3!

2018-06-26 Update:

My car is now green! Thank you to inzen skin for the amazing work!

More photos in deep in the thread.

Hey everyone!

After a long wait for me (5 years) and a lot of hard work, I have finally approached graduating university and have purchased that car I've been lusting after for so long; a 2017 BRZ with a 6 speed manual. My current hand-me-down Camry that was given to me by my grandmother that I've gratefully driven since high school (always been thankful and known I was lucky to get a free car) will now be passed along to my sister.

A little backstory: ever since watching WRC as a wee kid and playing Gran Turismo, I was a huge fan of Subaru. Seeing Petter Solberg and Richard Burns fly through each rally stage in those blue STI WRC cars got me hooked. As I got older though, my fondness for lightweight RWD cars grew greater, and my interest wained in the newer WRX and STI offerings. But, with Subaru releasing the BRZ, which brought everything I loved about the brand to a light, RWD platform, I was hooked once again.

During this time I've also I met my girlfriend of now over 7 years, who initially hated Subarus (was always a domestic car family in her house), but after hanging around me enough, when she was in a position to purchase a new vehicle a few years ago she actually beat me to Subaru ownership and bought a 2015 WRX, which she still loves to this day.

Now it's finally my turn to get a crack at it; Super excited to finally be a part of the community.

Was able to pull out the DSLR this morning and take some quick photos. Photo shoot to come.

Plans for the car are to keep it competent enough to daily while slowly transforming it into a fun track/auto-x car. I've been sim racing competitively for 10 years, so this car will finally give me the chance to transfer that technique into the real world.

Going to keep it stock for this season while I get more comfortable with the car at its limits (driver mod first). Then, suspension, wheels and tires etc will come.

For my first bit of track work though, I know a set of pads and fluid as well as an oil cooler are necessary. Anyone have thoughts on the JR Oil cooler/rad combo?

EDIT 2017/06/08: Finally, some pretty photos! (Taken in Dorset, Lake of Bays, ON)

Last edited by JBezugs; 05-18-2023 at 11:11 AM.
JBezugs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JBezugs For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (07-02-2017), JD001 (07-12-2017), sato (06-05-2020), Williampreza (02-28-2019)
Old 04-10-2017, 08:07 PM   #2
allegiance2me

Drives: 2017 Series.Yellow BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Congrats and welcome...beautiful car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
allegiance2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:14 AM   #3
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
awesome dude, congrats! got any plans for it?
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:23 AM   #4
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
awesome dude, congrats! got any plans for it?
Thanks! I actually completely forgot to mention my plans for it, I've updated the OP with this: Plans for the car are to keep it competent enough to daily while slowly transforming it into a fun track/auto-x car. I've been sim racing competitively for 10 years, so this car will finally give me the chance to transfer that technique into the real world.

Going to keep it stock for this season while I get more comfortable with the car at its limits (driver mod first). Then, suspension, wheels and tires etc will come.

For my first bit of track work though, I know a set of pads and fluid as well as an oil cooler are necessary. Anyone have thoughts on the JR Oil cooler/rad combo?

Last edited by JBezugs; 04-11-2017 at 01:04 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JBezugs For This Useful Post:
imnotsureaboutbrz (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 11:34 AM   #5
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBezugs View Post
Thanks! I actually completely forgot to mention my plans for it, I've updated the OP with this: Plans for the car are to keep it competent enough to daily while slowly transforming it into a fun track/auto-x car. I've been sim racing competitively for 10 years, so this car will finally give me the chance to transfer that technique into the real world.

What sims you use? I used to be heavily into iRacing and hope to get back to it soon. I was thinking of doing track days but it being a daily driver, I'm kinda scared. I have a FT job and a casual on the side, and the casual is a drive from DVP to Brampton. So the car does get a lot of use. But I'll keep an eye on yours and maybe get some ideas myself. Have fun!
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:07 PM   #6
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
What sims you use? I used to be heavily into iRacing and hope to get back to it soon. I was thinking of doing track days but it being a daily driver, I'm kinda scared. I have a FT job and a casual on the side, and the casual is a drive from DVP to Brampton. So the car does get a lot of use. But I'll keep an eye on yours and maybe get some ideas myself. Have fun!
Thanks!

I started out with LFS, rFactor and iRacing back in the day, but now I many participate in league racing within Assetto Corsa. With all the new features I may get back into iRacing but the expense for that compared to other sims is significant. I'd rather spend that towards auto-x and HPDE etc in real life now .
Old 04-11-2017, 01:44 PM   #7
The Headhunter

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited - WRB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Congrats on both the purchase and all the hard work put it in to earn it. It must feel pretty special when you see that beauty sitting in the driveway!
The Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:50 PM   #8
[YOYO]
Amazing Member

Drives: 2014 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Congrats on the new car, the wait was definitely worth it
Old 04-14-2017, 12:00 AM   #9
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Headhunter View Post
Congrats on both the purchase and all the hard work put it in to earn it. It must feel pretty special when you see that beauty sitting in the driveway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [YOYO] View Post
Congrats on the new car, the wait was definitely worth it

Thanks guys! It does feel special, completely surreal in fact as I've been waiting to have my chance to own one for so long... I've been lurking these forums quite regularly since the first deliveries of the twins were happening in spring 2012, no joke!
Old 04-14-2017, 03:04 AM   #10
MileMonger

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Congrats man! Looks great, you're going to enjoy it!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
MileMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:37 PM   #11
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

After 2 months and 1 wrong shipment later, my Blox reverse lockout adapter finally arrived.

Luckily for me, the adapter is the same diameter as the bottom-stem portion of my shift knob. Loving the look.

Interior is all rounded off now!
Old 06-30-2017, 09:42 AM   #12
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

JBezugs' 2017 BRZ

The car has been fantastic for the past ~4500kms, and I had the unique opportunity to drive the CTMP (Mosport) GP circuit with it last weekend. Going to be jumping head first into track stuff, now just to get an oil cooler and some pads and fluid...

As for what's coming right now:

Will have videos soon!
Old 07-02-2017, 11:34 AM   #13
HachiRokuX

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Your car is AMAZING man!! Great shots! I'm so happy for you!!! I was basically in the same situation as you and got my dream car (2017 86). I basically can't stop driving it. Working on mods now.

HachiRokuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:30 AM   #14
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiRokuX View Post
Your car is AMAZING man!! Great shots! I'm so happy for you!!! I was basically in the same situation as you and got my dream car (2017 86). I basically can't stop driving it. Working on mods now.

That's awesome! Congrats to you as well.