follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 06-13-2017, 04:24 AM   #659
Apex-Apex

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Official HKS USA just opened again.

Varis 2JZ Build Thread
IG: @apexapexapex
Apex-Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:44 AM   #660
Evil Rocky

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I wonder what they are going to do with damaged super chargers. I am still on the fence on getting this. I am like 1200 away from this or the SBD kit since the service and support is phenomenal!!
Evil Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:43 PM   #661
Kylebrz

Drives: 2013 subaru brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
All the gts7040l chargers will fail eventually. I am have a prevention fix and also working on a redesigned end cap made out of heat treated and thicker material so it doesn't jump threads . I will have the first one done this week and I will show pictures to compare .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kylebrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kylebrz For This Useful Post:
CxG (06-19-2017), Efferalgan (06-30-2017), Evil Rocky (06-16-2017), makinen (06-20-2017), Yobiwan (06-18-2017), zeal86 (06-16-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 04:08 PM   #662
Evil Rocky

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
^^^ KyleBRZ that is awesome!!! So is that the serial number that is failing? The gts7040I?? Or think all HKS superchargers?
Evil Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:52 PM   #663
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Well, I hate to say it but here I am back, the originator of this thread.
My blower appears to have just failed. It was a replacement which I paid for and received in Jan 2016 after waiting 6 months for it to arrive from Japan.
I was getting zero boost so removed and checked the blower. It is in exactly the same state as others I saw on this thread that failed in Russia. The annulus has separated at the threads. I bought this from HKS North America's recommended dealer at the time.

I am massively disappointed and moreover if HKS denies fault for the same failure seen multiple times here now I will make a lot of noise. Plus the 6 month screw around i had last time actually getting the part was ridiculously unacceptable. How can they sell these and carry zero backup? People's cars are down when these things fail.
The unit has ~7000 miles on It, stock pulley always. Stock fuel and custom tune with 7000 rpm fuel cutoff. There is nothing I could have done to have caused this.

I will report my results here yet again.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.

Last edited by wbradley; 06-17-2017 at 05:38 PM.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
Efferalgan (06-30-2017), Metabrz (05-18-2018)
Old 06-19-2017, 03:10 PM   #664
Kylebrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Well, I hate to say it but here I am back, the originator of this thread.
My blower appears to have just failed. It was a replacement which I paid for and received in Jan 2016 after waiting 6 months for it to arrive from Japan.
I was getting zero boost so removed and checked the blower. It is in exactly the same state as others I saw on this thread that failed in Russia. The annulus has separated at the threads. I bought this from HKS North America's recommended dealer at the time.

I am massively disappointed and moreover if HKS denies fault for the same failure seen multiple times here now I will make a lot of noise. Plus the 6 month screw around i had last time actually getting the part was ridiculously unacceptable. How can they sell these and carry zero backup? People's cars are down when these things fail.
The unit has ~7000 miles on It, stock pulley always. Stock fuel and custom tune with 7000 rpm fuel cutoff. There is nothing I could have done to have caused this.

I will report my results here yet again.

That's shitty news man I will put up a post of my permanent fix for this issue as soon as it's done being tested!

Old 06-19-2017, 03:11 PM   #665
Kylebrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rocky View Post
^^^ KyleBRZ that is awesome!!! So is that the serial number that is failing? The gts7040I?? Or think all HKS superchargers?

So far it's just been the blowers that run in reverse to the belt rotation

Old 06-19-2017, 04:37 PM   #666
WRX4ME

Drives: 2016 BRZ HyperBlue, 2015 WRX Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylebrz View Post
So far it's just been the blowers that run in reverse to the belt rotation

Can you elaborate on that a little? Trying to understand what is occurring.
Thanks
WRX4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:45 PM   #667
Kylebrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX4ME View Post
Can you elaborate on that a little? Trying to understand what is occurring.
Thanks

Yea so the charger system is a 3 piece drive it has a drive stub that has the dowels for the oil pump and it threads into a cap that threads to the outer casing that spins the proprietary system .....
so if you look up at the pics I have posted before the cap is stripped off of the drive part of the charger ......it just spins without actually spinning the proprietary system.
They used very thin material which allows it to expand and contract which is never good with threads so I have a piece that is much thicker where the threads are so it doesn't expand and it will be heat treated to avoid that as much as possible and it's also dynamic balanced so it won't vibrate!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kylebrz For This Useful Post:
makinen (06-20-2017), WRX4ME (06-19-2017), Yobiwan (06-20-2017), zeal86 (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 05:01 PM   #668
WRX4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylebrz View Post
Yea so the charger system is a 3 piece drive it has a drive stub that has the dowels for the oil pump and it threads into a cap that threads to the outer casing that spins the proprietary system .....
so if you look up at the pics I have posted before the cap is stripped off of the drive part of the charger ......it just spins without actually spinning the proprietary system.
They used very thin material which allows it to expand and contract which is never good with threads so I have a piece that is much thicker where the threads are so it doesn't expand and it will be heat treated to avoid that as much as possible and it's also dynamic balanced so it won't vibrate!

Thank you for that clarification. As to your earlier comment about it just being the blowers running opposite to the belt rotation, are you saying it's partially due to how the unit is oriented in the BRZ/FRS? The reason I ask is because I've been nosing around in the Honda forums for threads related to the same HKS unit and haven't run across similar difficulties. If I completely misunderstood your comment (which is entirely possible), I apologize.
The Following User Says Thank You to WRX4ME For This Useful Post:
Kylebrz (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 05:03 PM   #669
Kylebrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX4ME View Post
Thank you for that clarification. As to your earlier comment about it just being the blowers running opposite to the belt rotation, are you saying it's partially due to how the unit is oriented in the BRZ/FRS? The reason I ask is because I've been nosing around in the Honda forums for threads related to the same HKS unit and haven't run across similar difficulties. If I completely misunderstood your comment (which is entirely possible), I apologize.

I will take a lot of pictures when I'm done to show exactly where hks made a giant mistake lol and how it's gonna be fixed

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kylebrz For This Useful Post:
Evil Rocky (06-19-2017), WRX4ME (06-19-2017), zeal86 (06-19-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 04:55 PM   #670
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
All left drive cars have the blower spinning opposite to the belt direction. That is why the L in 7040L, it blows to the left. The fault internally has nothing to do with spin direction. Look up rotrex drive unit and you will find clear pictures of the annulus. This part has a seam which is opening, detaching the internal drive unit from the input. Result, free spinning input shaft, traction fluid keeps pumping, zero compressor drive.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:55 PM   #671
WRX4ME

I understand that in the past, HKS utilized a Rotrex unit for their Supercharger systems. With the 7040 unit, this is something that HKS has developed over a period of time, however it utilizes the Traction Drive system which according to Rotrex technical documents is a patented setup. So, does Rotrex still play any role at all in the manufacture/development of the HKS supercharger unit?
Old 06-21-2017, 02:28 PM   #672
Kylebrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
All left drive cars have the blower spinning opposite to the belt direction. That is why the L in 7040L, it blows to the left. The fault internally has nothing to do with spin direction. Look up rotrex drive unit and you will find clear pictures of the annulus. This part has a seam which is opening, detaching the internal drive unit from the input. Result, free spinning input shaft, traction fluid keeps pumping, zero compressor drive.

I meant hks L style charger it's not because of it being left hand drive cars cause my old rotrex was right hand rotation and it was mounted on the front of the belt like the hks. The reason why the gts7040l rotates to the left is to utilize the factory air box and minimize the amount of intercooler piping. Keeps the cost down by a bit... and the rotrex is totally different from the hks.... rotrex had nothing to do with this charger.