follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #435
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
Just curious - I've seen a few of you guys say how the AFe opening goes further into the bumper area than the AIRAID does, but in this picture, it look slike it's closer in. Was it installed incorrectly on this one?

I think that's an early prototype.

Here is the AFE on my car. You can clearly see where the radiator is in conjunction to the intake.

It's pretty much flush with the outlet to the bumper.
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #436
86drift

Drives: Toyota 86 GT
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
As a reseller of Airaid kits I thought I might chime in here.

I have one installed on my car and am totally happy with it. As are all my customers that have one. The main benefits I find are nicer induction noise, improved throttle response and better mileage.
It takes in cold air from behind the bumper and not hot air from behind the radiator. I wouldn't get too hung up on whether intakes pull hot or cold air. The engine doesn't seem to mind pod filters in the engine bay.

From what I can gather the poster with the poor results didn't remove the snorkel. Not sure if this is what's causing the rich condition up top, or something else like ECU learning. Either way, I'm still recommending people buy the kit since my bum dyno reads 5hp+

The guys at Whiteline had my car the last week and when I got it back they asked me if I'd had it tuned as it had better mid-range pull than the other 86/BRZs they'd driven. Nup, just the Airaid kit
86drift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 86drift For This Useful Post:
AIRAID (10-11-2012), ATL BRZ (10-11-2012), JPxM0Dz (10-11-2012), TAP Auto Parts (10-11-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #437
Bu-Tang

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, Nissan Pathfinder
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Yea Im not gonna lie, when I saw the result post -14whp, I was like ahhh???? OK?????
not to say that they don't know what there doing, and for the fact that they did an intake shoot out gains appreciation from me!. However, does no body else find it just a little far fetched that an intake system can REDUCE 14whp? especially given the fact that other than the location of the MAF sensor, majority of the intakes on the market are for the most part very similar in design. I see most of the intakes just an improvement over the factory design.

Not saying that the intakes are no good or anything, but to me I just cant see it, so far the Injen and AFE seem to be top dogs in the pwr department and they both relocated the MAF to a similar spot, Airaid kept there near the factory location.

this post it not to start a war with anyone but I for one would LOVE to see a retest, Stock vs airaid on the same day back to back. On a bone stock FRS with no tune and no exhaust.

Its been on my mind since seeing the results posted but I remembered when I installed the intake, I was happy with it, and the car did feel much better.

RETEST!!!!!!!

Last edited by Bu-Tang; 10-12-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Bu-Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bu-Tang For This Useful Post:
TAP Auto Parts (10-11-2012), zoomzoomers (10-12-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #438
TAP Auto Parts
Banned

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anyone remember the stock FRS that varied 10hp over 7 dyno tests?
TAP Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #439
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAP Auto View Post
Anyone remember the stock FRS that varied 10hp over 7 dyno tests?
I think this was due to oil temp. As the oil heats up, power goes down. I noticed this myself during my testing. This car needs an oil cooler.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2forme For This Useful Post:
Tim_Asphalt_FRS (10-12-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #440
TAP Auto Parts
Banned

Drives: FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forme View Post
I think this was due to oil temp. As the oil heats up, power goes down. I noticed this myself during my testing. This car needs an oil cooler.
They were done weeks apart if I remember, i dont know if it was a factor in that test

Although, YES, these cars do run hot. The factory cooling is not sufficient and after a few spirited laps and it is dangerously hot. We listed up the HKS kit
TAP Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #441
tonystewart

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRAID View Post
We would encourage everyone to take a step back for just a minute. We've had nothing but positive comments from nearly all those that have installed and used our intake system (with one notable and very vocal exception, which we did everything we could to make right). Look back through this very thread. Those of you with the intake installed, don't you think you'd FEEL the 10% reduction in power that this test claims? With an A/F ratio below 10:1, wouldn't gas mileage have tanked after install instead of going up as many of you have claimed? We have voiced our position in that thread, and TAP Auto has reposted it here. We would encourage everyone to examine the information put forth, compare them with your own experiences, and then draw your own conclusions.
Mark
Even if I prove/provide everything you asked for it wouldn't matter to you.
Are you familiar with the automotive term "NIH"?
It means "not in house", I learned it at Ford and then Cosworth and then at McLaren. Manufacturers can not believe something that they didn't think up themselves, or that is presented to them that demeans their product, even with data.
My friend, James Fueling, told me to watch for it and when it happens pick up your chips and move to another table.
Address the issues in this forum without "NIH".
Everyone in this buyer driven community has the right to speak about a product they paid for and advise others about its' issues.
May'12 AT Raven, OFT V2, Perrin IntakeTube, Pulley & Overpipe,HKS Snorkel,FA20 EL Header,Nameless Frontpipe w/ Helmholtz, Crawford AOS, Cusco O2W Cooler, Grimmspeed Strut/MC Brace, Winjets w/D2S 3.0 HID by Illuminating Lighworkx, Fogs w/EU Stalk, LED's, JDM UnderPanels, Diffuser, Rigid Collars, Whiteline, HVT Camber Plates, Koni's, Swift Springs, GTSpec LCA, SPC Toearms, DBA 4K T-Slot Rotors, Ferodo DS2500, Vorshlag BrakeLines, MichelinPSS, 5Axis Wing, Raammat, Ensolite, JPM Coachworks, OEM+Ref400, 20mmspacers, TOMS
tonystewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:56 PM   #442
2forme

Garage
I know there are tons of positive reviews and comments, but I ask this. How many of your customers provided legitimate third party dynos that show considerable gains? I've been searching. I haven't found any.

While I firmly support manufacturers should have pride in their work, at what point do you think it's plausible for the manufacturer to take a step back and review how they arrived at THEIR conclusions about their product?

I mean hell, I was the first one to post issues with your intake. My claims were IMMEDIATELY discredited by your company. The replies almost got to a tone of being rude, when all I was trying to do was HELP. Still, I see posts claiming that no one has reported issues to you. That simply isn't true. Now you're denying the results that third party, unaffiliated shops are providing on TWO separate vehicles? Do you realize how that looks?

Please don't take this as rude or condescending, it's not. But I just get frustrated whenever I see posts coming from you dismissing any negative feedback or experience. Yes, I'm vocal, but no, I'm not the only one. In fact there's another thread in this very forum with a user showing the SAME symptoms I was.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #443
NotSoJDM

Drives: '13 BRZ | '04 E55
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Garage
You can always provide me one to test, provide me the test guidelines you'd like performed, and I'd be more than happy to cover dyno time/cost to test your product and provide third party, non-biased results.

Offers on the table, AIRAID.
NotSoJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:17 PM   #444
Boosted240

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86drift View Post
As a reseller of Airaid kits I thought I might chime in here.

I have one installed on my car and am totally happy with it. As are all my customers that have one. The main benefits I find are nicer induction noise, improved throttle response and better mileage.
I've been following this thread quietly, but I have to speak up. My throttle response since installing this intake has been terrible. Off idle response is a total joke, I now suffer from the occasional dropping idle, and my part throttle mid-range power band feels different every time I accelerate. Sometimes it feels snappy/pulls clean, and other times it feels like my '92 Celica. (not good)

Part throttle above 4k is fantastic. And by fantastic, I mean it doesn't feel like it lost any. BUT it sounds outstanding and pulls smoothly every time.

My fuel mileage has gone nowhere. I've been at a rock steady 29mpg since I've owned the car.

Other than the fit and finish, the only thing that's keeping me from removing/returning this product is that I haven't had the time to remove it, and in the back of my mind I would like to think the ecu re-flash will solve the issues.

My basic quick take? It looks outsanding, sounds outstanding. WOT pulls just fine. But the meat and taters of where I drive (partial throttle, less than 4.5k) has been disappointing at best, quite poor at worst.
1992 Toyota Celica - snow mobile
2005 Nissan 350z - sold
Boosted240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #445
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted240 View Post
I've been following this thread quietly, but I have to speak up. My throttle response since installing this intake has been terrible. Off idle response is a total joke, I now suffer from the occasional dropping idle, and my part throttle mid-range power band feels different every time I accelerate. Sometimes it feels snappy/pulls clean, and other times it feels like my '92 Celica. (not good)

Part throttle above 4k is fantastic. And by fantastic, I mean it doesn't feel like it lost any. BUT it sounds outstanding and pulls smoothly every time.

My fuel mileage has gone nowhere. I've been at a rock steady 29mpg since I've owned the car.

Other than the fit and finish, the only thing that's keeping me from removing/returning this product is that I haven't had the time to remove it, and in the back of my mind I would like to think the ecu re-flash will solve the issues.

My basic quick take? It looks outsanding, sounds outstanding. WOT pulls just fine. But the meat and taters of where I drive (partial throttle, less than 4.5k) has been disappointing at best, quite poor at worst.
I can tell you @Visconti has fixed these issues with a tune. That alone made me consider keeping it, but I ultimately decided that I needed something that ran correctly on stock tune in the event I needed warranty work. So I returned it.

The AFE came in shortly thereafter and it's been great so far. No issues to speak of.

Thanks for speaking up though!
Old 10-11-2012, 10:33 PM   #446
tonystewart

That's how I fixed mine, with Johns' Tune.
May'12 AT Raven, OFT V2, Perrin IntakeTube, Pulley & Overpipe,HKS Snorkel,FA20 EL Header,Nameless Frontpipe w/ Helmholtz, Crawford AOS, Cusco O2W Cooler, Grimmspeed Strut/MC Brace, Winjets w/D2S 3.0 HID by Illuminating Lighworkx, Fogs w/EU Stalk, LED's, JDM UnderPanels, Diffuser, Rigid Collars, Whiteline, HVT Camber Plates, Koni's, Swift Springs, GTSpec LCA, SPC Toearms, DBA 4K T-Slot Rotors, Ferodo DS2500, Vorshlag BrakeLines, MichelinPSS, 5Axis Wing, Raammat, Ensolite, JPM Coachworks, OEM+Ref400, 20mmspacers, TOMS
Old 10-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #447
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonystewart View Post
That's how I fixed mine, with Johns' Tune.
Oh you had issues?
Old 10-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #448
tonystewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forme View Post
Oh you had issues?
Yes, My daughter reported a stumble leaving the same parking lot twice, I called John and he sent a tune, stumble gone.
Then I noticed the higher intake temps and began to wonder what had happened to this intakes ability to reach colder air.
I will address the Airaid intake temp this weekend with some molding material.
Perrin's cold air will be out in January