follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-16-2019, 08:28 AM   #1
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
OEM Valve train part questions

With the recall for the valve springs I'm wondering about updating my valve train for reliability while they have the engine out and apart. I know there were some running changes to the rocker arms and likely a few other parts. I'm wondering what, if anything, I should have the dealership install and what parts can be installed without removing the heads/changing the valves.

Thanks.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:59 PM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Did you look at what I gave you when you asked in the other thread?
There is nothing that can be done without removing the heads. This includes the valve spring itself.
The dealer is only going to replace the parts that are specified in the recall instructions.
Anything beyond that you are going to pay for if they will do it at all.
Very unlikely they will put 2017 parts in your 2013 engine even if you ask. They are a dealership that repairs engines not a speed shop that modifies them and will not take the liability of swapping non standard parts.
DarkPira7e (01-16-2019), humfrz (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 06:26 PM   #3
Cesium Rainbow

Drives: '13 dgm brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm doing similar research right now so I don't have answers but just to echo Tcoat, what you're describing is a speed shop job as opposed to a dealer job. Which in that case would only makes sense if you're upgrading the valvetrain as opposed to swapping in other OE parts.

So I guess the answer to your question is "no."
Cesium Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:38 PM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
With the recall for the valve springs I'm wondering about updating my valve train for reliability while they have the engine out and apart. I know there were some running changes to the rocker arms and likely a few other parts. I'm wondering what, if anything, I should have the dealership install and what parts can be installed without removing the heads/changing the valves.

Thanks.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Well, Calum, I'm seeing it this way.

I figure that 95% of the techs that are going to do this recall work are going to do it "by the numbers".

If you try to throw something else different into the mix, there is a good chance that something will get messed up.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Calum (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 10:29 AM   #5
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, Calum, I'm seeing it this way.

I figure that 95% of the techs that are going to do this recall work are going to do it "by the numbers".

If you try to throw something else different into the mix, there is a good chance that something will get messed up.

humfrz

Well, that's why I was asking about the parts dropping in directly or not. If it's just a matter of putting in the new rocker arms with no other work then it should be fine. But yeah, they are going to have to re-shim everything which would be a pain in the ass and not at all worth it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 10:31 AM   #6
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesium Rainbow View Post
I'm doing similar research right now so I don't have answers but just to echo Tcoat, what you're describing is a speed shop job as opposed to a dealer job. Which in that case would only makes sense if you're upgrading the valvetrain as opposed to swapping in other OE parts.

So I guess the answer to your question is "no."

While I agree getting the dealership to reshim the valves isn't worth it, why would replacing OEM rockers with newer OEM rockers and then shimming the valve buckets be a speed shop job? Shimming the valves is just normal maintenance work. I'm not asking about have the valve seat radiused or anything.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:00 PM   #7
Tcoat

Quote:
While I agree getting the dealership to reshim the valves isn't worth it, why would replacing OEM rockers with newer OEM rockers and then shimming the valve buckets be a speed shop job? Shimming the valves is just normal maintenance work. I'm not asking about have the valve seat radiused or anything.
By putting non spec 2017 parts in a 2013 engine you are modifying it not just performing maintenance work. I simply meant that the dealership is not into modifying engines not that only a speed shop could do it.
Calum (01-22-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 01:21 PM   #8
Dr. BRZ

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Pearl BRZ Limited 6MT.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I've had mine for over 8 years and i street race it and autox, no problem has arose from the valves springs so i see no point of taking mine in especially when I'm modded like full pulleys and etc. I don't feel like the dealership messing something up.
Dr. BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:00 PM   #9
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Well, that's why I was asking about the parts dropping in directly or not. If it's just a matter of putting in the new rocker arms with no other work then it should be fine. But yeah, they are going to have to re-shim everything which would be a pain in the ass and not at all worth it.
Well, Calum, allow me to give this another go.

As I eluded to in my previous post, I'm figuring the majority of the techs that are going to do this spring recall work are going to do it "by the numbers".

What do I mean by that? They are going to have a set of new valve springs and your car. As we used to say in the old Army - KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). They will (by the numbers) take the engine apart, so as to get to the valve springs, replace the valve springs, then put it back together (by the numbers).

I would recommend that you NOT confuse the process.

Yes, back-in-the-day or at your grandpa's garage, what you suggest would not be out of the question.

Reminds me of a back-in-the-day story when a good friend of mine, who lived nearby, called and mentioned her husband was out of town and her front door would not lock, could I come over and fix it. Of course, I would, can't leave a poor good looking mother of three young children in an unsecured house.

I arrived with my tool box and proceeded to disassemble the very, fancy, intricate front door locking mechanism. I carefully laid all the pieces in a line on the floor in order that I took them off. OK, time for a CC&7up break. While me and her were having some refreshments, her oldest son (Mike) (a 4 year old) decided to help out by re-arranging all of the pieces on the floor by order of size.

So, after several drinks and a few hours, I finally got the lock back together and her house secured. Normally, the re-assembly would have been a 10 minute job.

Ya get ma drift??

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Calum (01-22-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 08:12 PM   #10
celek
Resident Gear Head

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Did you look at what I gave you when you asked in the other thread?
There is nothing that can be done without removing the heads. This includes the valve spring itself.
The dealer is only going to replace the parts that are specified in the recall instructions.
Anything beyond that you are going to pay for if they will do it at all.
Very unlikely they will put 2017 parts in your 2013 engine even if you ask. They are a dealership that repairs engines not a speed shop that modifies them and will not take the liability of swapping non standard parts.
Just to correct your statement if I am reading it right, They are not removing the heads. You may already know this as the post was several days ago.
They are pressurizing the cylinders to hold the valves up. Per the instructions I read and pictures of techs online.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:34 PM   #11
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by celek View Post
Just to correct your statement if I am reading it right, They are not removing the heads. You may already know this as the post was several days ago.
They are pressurizing the cylinders to hold the valves up. Per the instructions I read and pictures of techs online.
Ya I should have specified the head covers not the heads.