follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 05-04-2013, 01:27 AM   #1
86black

Drives: Low and slow
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Automation LED 22w LED Headlight Review/Thoughts

Well I just recently installed the LED headlight bulbs. I guess I should have read it throughly about the product. Got it like it was advertised bulbs and harness to make it a simple plug n play product. After the install I waited till the evening to come around to see how it worked. Now here's the thing I had a thought that these were to be as bright as HID setups with less parts to mess with. Well as soon as I took it out on the road the bulbs didn't seem very bright at all?? I was pretty much disappointed at this time. Also to make matters worse the headlight beam was pointed downwards. Strange is that my regular halogen bulbs were fine where it was originally and wasn't pointed downwards. So after tinkering with the LED bulbs with my friend later that night we adjusted the projector. It was better. So for now I'll keep using it and see if I enjoy it or move towards HID instead or keep my original halogen bulbs. I might update the tread after a couple of weeks to update. Just thought I share my views on it incase others out there has thought about it. Well not a huge loss or possible gain over the stock headlight bulb. I got the LED bulbs for only 114 dollars (with shipping) with the tax rebate discount automation was offering.

Andy
86black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
Jetlee101

Drives: Black Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for your review, I'm highly debating whether to get these LED headlights or go with HiDs. Did you have experience with HiDs before going with these LEDs? It's not a big price difference so I'm debating which ones to buy...
Jetlee101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
infinite012
Banned

Drives: 13 DGM BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Holy crap why do people waste their money on this shit?

LED headlights, unless designed by a team of engineers and as an entire system (i.e. Prius LED headlights), will not work simply by replacing the halogen/filament bulb with a diode on a stick.

I don't care if you have a 22W or 1000W LED on the end of that stick. You will not get anything useful out of your halogen headlights with a LED. Stick to halogen.

The same argument is true for HID (which doesn't have a lower case "i" in the acronym).
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to infinite012 For This Useful Post:
ft_sjo (05-07-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
Lverasky
RedBunny w/ Wing

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Also..FYI, if you go with LED on DRLs, you don't have high beam option.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:24 AM   #5
86black

Drives: Low and slow
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Jetlee101 I never had experience with led before. Most hid setups I had delt with has been from factory stand point. I had some friends who have switched and they usually love their hid setups but I wouldn't get anymore then 5k b/c passed that its blue and it's usually pointless to see on the road IMO. I got the led's to try something new. Like I said wasn't bad for the price. But if you find something similar to that price I go with the hid be more what you would expect.
Infinite012- I understand where your coming from its factory setup or nothing else because the headlights are designed that way. Either way as long as I can see the road and its a bit brighter it's ok. Plus who doesn't want to make there car seem a bit nicer even in some people's stand point it's only for looks no functions. IMO for the price of the frs it should have factory hid instead of selling it now as a special series as they are releasing now.
86black is offline   Reply With Quote