follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 02-12-2019, 09:14 PM   #43
TMF

Drives: '14 FRS TT5
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I should also note that if you build a fully competitive TT5 car, which in addition to catless exhaust, tune, and coilovers, would also require weight reduction, aero, and maybe even E85, you're well into unlimited class in 86 cup. It's hard to have a car that is ultimately competitive in more than one racing sanctioning body. Focus on track time and improving your driver skill first, then once you have a solid skill set, pick your sanctioning body and build a car for that group. Hit up other events purely for experience and fun if budget allows for it.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:43 AM   #44
dstrout

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I’m somewhat backwards from you. I’m more interested in the 86Cup as I have no chance of being competitive in TT5 due simply to a lack of skill. There are some really good drivers in mid-Atlantic region.

I don’t mind buying a set of R7’s and some more wheels. It’s the second set of Hoosiers that I mind, and the third, etc. When tires start to cost more than travel and registration together, it hurts.

Without the bonus for 220TW I will be in Modified and I’ll get killed there, so I will have to run a harder tire for 86Cup to stay in Street. I’ll probably run the 265 SX2’s in 86Cup. If they fit the NASA template, which I doubt, I’ll try them in TT5. If not, I’ll have to think on it some more.
dstrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:31 AM   #45
dstrout

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMF View Post
I should also note that if you build a fully competitive TT5 car, which in addition to catless exhaust, tune, and coilovers, would also require weight reduction, aero, and maybe even E85, you're well into unlimited class in 86 cup. It's hard to have a car that is ultimately competitive in more than one racing sanctioning body. Focus on track time and improving your driver skill first, then once you have a solid skill set, pick your sanctioning body and build a car for that group. Hit up other events purely for experience and fun if budget allows for it.
I actually just had the car in to the shop last week and came out at 189 hp peak (dynojet) and 2660 lbs (1/2 tank, no driver), so I’m not in terrible shape, but yes, I agree you can’t really optimize for two different series.
dstrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:10 PM   #46
lutfy

Drives: 2022 LR Defender, 2015 FRS_ST5/TT5
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstrout View Post
I’m somewhat backwards from you. I’m more interested in the 86Cup as I have no chance of being competitive in TT5 due simply to a lack of skill. There are some really good drivers in mid-Atlantic region.

I don’t mind buying a set of R7’s and some more wheels. It’s the second set of Hoosiers that I mind, and the third, etc. When tires start to cost more than travel and registration together, it hurts.

Without the bonus for 220TW I will be in Modified and I’ll get killed there, so I will have to run a harder tire for 86Cup to stay in Street. I’ll probably run the 265 SX2’s in 86Cup. If they fit the NASA template, which I doubt, I’ll try them in TT5. If not, I’ll have to think on it some more.
Even in TTD trim last year my car was already in Unlimited running 225 Hoosiers.

This year bump 10whp (combo of fully uncorked exhaust and tune) and I am average 174whp, 185 corrected and 194whp on dynojet. Was at 2850 with driver last year. Need to be 2662lbs with driver (not going to happen).

Bottom line you cannot build for both series as both TTD (ex) and TT5 build will be Unlimited.
lutfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 02:13 PM   #47
TMF

Drives: '14 FRS TT5
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
If ya'll don't mind me asking, what length springs are you guys running, and what ride heights?

I just picked up a set of used MCS coilovers and I need to get different springs rates. I'm limited to about 2.5" of bump (compression) travel in the front with the existing springs (200mm or 7.8" and no helpers) and I noticed that the collars are all the way at the bottom. I'm thinking that shorter springs would get me more bump travel and more height adjustability...correct?

For ride heights, it seems that about 1.5" lower than stock or around 25 1/2" ground to fender height is ideal...curious to hear what others are running if you don't mind sharing.

Pics for reference and attention:

Old 03-25-2019, 10:21 AM   #48
flier129

Drives: GLTC/ST5 KMiata & '08 Titan
I came here to lurk and day-dream. I'm not disappointed hah.

I think a FRS/BRZ could be THE car to have ST5/TT5 as development continues. What are you guys doing for aero, diy splitter and 9LR rear wing?
flier129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 03:34 PM   #49
lutfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flier129 View Post
I came here to lurk and day-dream. I'm not disappointed hah.

I think a FRS/BRZ could be THE car to have ST5/TT5 as development continues. What are you guys doing for aero, diy splitter and 9LR rear wing?
On higher hp tracks, its really hard to beat well driven and equally prepped S2K and E36 M3s.

While I was able to get down to 2:08s at VIR in TT5 trim, my competition was almost a full sec faster. Will share video (cornering/braking advantage, lost to power on straights).

I broke the record (which was later broken by the previous record holder again) and was dynoed. Am at 187whp or 177 average. Very low compared to 210 and 235 average for the S2K and E36 M3.

Would need a custom map/tune EcuTek vs OFT E85 (slightly modified).

Cheers,

Lutfy
The Following User Says Thank You to lutfy For This Useful Post:
subielife (03-29-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 04:01 AM   #50
m86

Drives: FRS
So I'm curious how you guys think the FRS/BRZ holds up against the S2000 in TT5.

In my region I see most TT5s being won by an S2K.
I know that the S2K falls more naturally into the class (closer to 14.0 stock) but assuming that we get both cars right on spot with 14.0, which one is a better car?
Is there anything that gives advantage to one or the other, or do the rules actually make it 100% fair competition?
m86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:33 AM   #51
lutfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by m86 View Post
So I'm curious how you guys think the FRS/BRZ holds up against the S2000 in TT5.

In my region I see most TT5s being won by an S2K.
I know that the S2K falls more naturally into the class (closer to 14.0 stock) but assuming that we get both cars right on spot with 14.0, which one is a better car?
Is there anything that gives advantage to one or the other, or do the rules actually make it 100% fair competition?
As a sore loser I would say S2K is advantageous However, if truth be told, the FRS can come into striking distance of it. At Summit Point I was very close to times with the fastest S2K. At VIR also, besides Samed in the S2K (he is a very good driver and runs perfectly clean laps), I can come ahead of the other S2Ks and such.

I was making a fair bit of smaller errors this past weekend but a good driver can give S2K a real run for the money.

HP/WT they are almost identical with S2K taking ballast but it has approx 25ish more whp over us so will pull on the straights. Tigher course, its a driver's race.

Lutfy
Old 04-03-2019, 08:47 AM   #52
m86

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy View Post
HP/WT they are almost identical with S2K taking ballast but it has approx 25ish more whp over us so will pull on the straights. Tigher course, its a driver's race.
Lutfy
Isn't whp/wt identical? Assuming both get same points for suspension, aero, etc.
More whp with more weight should be faster in the straights at higher speeds (mainly due to air drag) but should also be a bit of a disadvantage in the corners. In theory, anyway..
Old 04-03-2019, 08:57 AM   #53
lutfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by m86 View Post
Isn't whp/wt identical? Assuming both get same points for suspension, aero, etc.
More whp with more weight should be faster in the straights at higher speeds (mainly due to air drag) but should also be a bit of a disadvantage in the corners. In theory, anyway..
Correct! Most of the folks seem to be agreeing higher hp/wt is a better way to go vs lighter/lower when ratio being the same. How much? Dont know as driver is a big variable too and I need to clean up some of the corners myself.

Cheers,

Lutfy
Old 04-03-2019, 09:19 AM   #54
m86

Quote:
Correct! Most of the folks seem to be agreeing higher hp/wt is a better way to go vs lighter/lower when ratio being the same. How much? Dont know as driver is a big variable too and I need to clean up some of the corners myself.

Cheers,

Lutfy
I see, thanks!
Old 04-04-2019, 12:45 PM   #55
Lord-Digital

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Quote:
On higher hp tracks, its really hard to beat well driven and equally prepped S2K and E36 M3s.

While I was able to get down to 2:08s at VIR in TT5 trim, my competition was almost a full sec faster. Will share video (cornering/braking advantage, lost to power on straights).

I broke the record (which was later broken by the previous record holder again) and was dynoed. Am at 187whp or 177 average. Very low compared to 210 and 235 average for the S2K and E36 M3.

Would need a custom map/tune EcuTek vs OFT E85 (slightly modified).

Cheers,

Lutfy
Just wanted to add that in addition to the S2K and E36 M3 ,Mazda also has a car that is much faster in TT5 than our cars ,here is a picture from the last reginal NASA event:

In my opinion the only way to have our platform class in NASA going forward will be AERO + SuperCharger and DynoCheats ,but that may be just me - nevertheless considering the fact that we raced a fully caged BRZ for the last 4 years in NASA TTD and PTD - it is worth mentioning
Lord-Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:37 PM   #56
lutfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-Digital View Post
Just wanted to add that in addition to the S2K and E36 M3 ,Mazda also has a car that is much faster in TT5 than our cars ,here is a picture from the last reginal NASA event:

In my opinion the only way to have our platform class in NASA going forward will be AERO + SuperCharger and DynoCheats ,but that may be just me - nevertheless considering the fact that we raced a fully caged BRZ for the last 4 years in NASA TTD and PTD - it is worth mentioning
TTD last year against the RX8s (all on fresh tires, both RX racemotored) and we (FRZ) were the most limited with the dyno reclass (compared to rest). Both cars were driven by top drivers.

http://timingscoring.drivenasa.com/N...20Classes).pdf

And in Nov:

http://timingscoring.drivenasa.com/N...20Classes).pdf

This year we all are equalized by hp/wt.

Lutfy

Last edited by lutfy; 04-05-2019 at 01:49 PM.