follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-12-2017, 04:15 PM   #1
alex.s

Drives: '17 BRZ Premium. Totaled: '16 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
adjustable tophats?

they told me i needed this so i dont screw up my front tires on the track? is it true?

is there any difference between the different types? they're all just camber adjust right? it seems like all the coilover kits have their own separate/specific tophat. should i spend $250 on this now... and if i do when i upgrade will the adjustable tophat that fits the stock shock not fit the new suspension? or should I just wait until i get fancy suspension in a year or two and get a set with adjustable tophats?

how bad is it really on the outside of the tire without the camber set in? is there any safety factor related to folding a tire or something? or you just go through tires faster?
alex.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:17 PM   #2
asdf
Loading...████████] 99%

Drives: #0517
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
the reasoning behind what you were told is to dial in negative camber. our cars handling is markedly improved with negative camber up front and will indeed help to give you more even tire wear on track/autocross. take a look at raceseng's cascam top hats-- there are some small parts differences to fit the top hats onto OE sized springs vs coilovers.

while you can always buy the parts later to fit the top hats onto different applications, i would suggest that you base your decision around which suspension you plan to purchase. if what you buy already comes with adjustable top hats, there is no need to buy other 3rd party ones.

also keep in mind that you can dial in plenty of camber using camber bolts (and it is significantly cheaper)-- many folks on the forums have reported being able to dial in more than -2 degrees. even if you stay at stock height, adjustable camber bolts or crash bolts are worth the price.
asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to asdf For This Useful Post:
alex.s (07-12-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 05:52 PM   #3
alex.s

oh, sick. thanks. i didn't know camber bolt kits were a thing. $20 sounds way better than $200. i'll get the bolts for now and go with the paired tophats when i upgrade the suspension. thanks again!
Old 07-12-2017, 06:00 PM   #4
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Keep in mind that camber bolts can bring the top of your tire closer to the strut/spring, of course this all depends on wheel width/offset and tire choice. I had to get raceseng cascam plates, camber bolts would have resulted in tire rub.

Stock struts with a wide tire can pose issues, I have maybe 10-12mm clearance between wheel and strut/spring perch, camber bolts would move it into even more uncomfortably close
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:15 PM   #5
alex.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCarbine View Post
Keep in mind that camber bolts can bring the top of your tire closer to the strut/spring, of course this all depends on wheel width/offset and tire choice. I had to get raceseng cascam plates, camber bolts would have resulted in tire rub.

Stock struts with a wide tire can pose issues, I have maybe 10-12mm clearance between wheel and strut/spring perch, camber bolts would move it into even more uncomfortably close
Running stock tires wheels and shocks at stock height and everything for now. Shouldn't have any issues with only the bolts, right? I like having shit grip. I feel like it helps me get better faster... but I want my tires to last... Because I'm cheap...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2017, 06:28 PM   #6
asdf
Loading...████████] 99%

Drives: #0517
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
yup-- you'll be fine w/ the stock wheels, tires, and springs/dampers.

get the whiteline/spc bolt and put it in the bottom bolt, then move the bottom bolt to the upper slot (smaller bolt)-- dial in -2 camber for the front and straight toe at your preferred alignment shop and enjoy the difference you'll feel right away since you're in socal, you have good options for alignment shops. west end is always a favorite.
asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:06 PM   #7
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
Running stock tires wheels and shocks at stock height and everything for now. Shouldn't have any issues with only the bolts, right? I like having shit grip. I feel like it helps me get better faster... but I want my tires to last... Because I'm cheap...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Sometimes I miss my stock tires..... You should be good to go with your setup
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJCarbine For This Useful Post:
alex.s (07-12-2017)