follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 02-11-2014, 07:45 PM   #29
dp1
driving smoother faster

Drives: Sold
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonolin View Post
@dp1 just go with a tune and possibly a header and try to enjoy the car stockish. That's what I'm doing and hoping it will tide me over for a while until I dump all our savings on devaluing my car

Plus I need more track days before I can exploit this cars limits as it is.

EDIT: Also maybe try to find somebody with a F/I FRS to ride in. I drove in a lightly tuned greddy turbo apparently ~210-250whp (passenger) at the track and it was a *blast*.
Very responsible suggestion to stick with simpler tune/header upgrades, thanks :-)

I do need that 40%-ish power kick to warrant doing anything at this point. It's been 7 months since purchase so I already know that I like the car stock.

The Elise I test drove before I purchased mine was NA and I knew it needed SC so it was added to mine before I took delivery. It widened the power band (rush starts at 4500 rpm as opposed to the second cam opening at 6300 rpm, with cutoff at 8400) and the power delivery is so much smoother...that's how I learned to appreciate boost.

Much appreciated, and will look for a ride in a boosted twin soon to validate key assumptions
dp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:51 PM   #30
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,831 Times in 996 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
I'm a little late to respond, sorry was out of town all weekend. I am running the Innovate base map with the 75mm pulley (CARB legal in Cali).

I've had the Innovate SC on my car since July of last year. Initially it was non-intercooled (@34K miles). I daily drive the car in traffic on the freeway as well as autoxing it at least once a month. I put the intercooler on it in Dec of last year (@46K miles).

The SC really makes the car a LOT of fun to drive, both on a daily basis and in autox events. The boost kicks in at about 2500RPMs and pulls hard all of the way to redline. Merging onto the freeway is no problem at all now, you can be way past the speed limit even before you enter the first traffic lane.

The intercooler really helps the SC maintain the power. I'd highly recommend you get the Stage 2 kit.

Not sure what else to say except that I love the kit. It is a relatively simple install, and I was able to install both the stage 1 and stage 2 upgrade all by myself at my house with a bit of time and tools.

Bob

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whataboutbob For This Useful Post:
dp1 (02-12-2014), suaveflooder (02-12-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 12:32 AM   #31
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,682 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efferalgan View Post
Does KraftWerk have an AT version? Actually should there be any difference to the MT version apart from the tune?
There is very little difference in tune between the auto and manual tunes.

Cheers,
William Knose
DeliciousTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
dp1 (03-24-2014), Efferalgan (02-12-2014), whataboutbob (02-12-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 02:12 AM   #32
Efferalgan

Drives: Toyota GT 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousTuning View Post
There is very little difference in tune between the auto and manual tunes.

Cheers,
William Knose
Thanks William!

So, if no mechanical difference and very little software difference, I think KW SC is now my favorite for the future when I go FI.

And Delicious Tuning seems the one who really supports this platform and this particular SC, so choice of a tuner is also becoming simpler for me
Efferalgan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Efferalgan For This Useful Post:
DeliciousTuning (02-12-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 12:47 PM   #33
PrimeMotoring

Drives: FRS with 2jz, 2015 STI 9.68@147
Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp1 View Post
I met the crew @PrimeMotoring today and it was an absolute pleasure to talk to all of them. If I decide to go through with this, I will definitely give them my business.

Here is where we ended up - their labor quote is not included and I thought it was very reasonable:
Jackson Racing Supercharger with turnkey CARB Tune ($5,000)
Jackson Racing Oil Cooler ($700)
AP Racing Sprint Brake kit ($2,000)
SSP Transmission Cooler ($1,200)
Crawford AOS for BRZ/FRS ($320)
AEM failsafe Gauge ($300)
P3 Gauge FRS ($390)
Prime Motoring Single Gauge Pod ($210)

So, this adds up to just over $10k + labor…significant investment considering up front cost, loss of warranty and likely significant depreciation of installed components if not parted out before the car is sold. That’s $40k spent in total on a very solid boosted FR-S AT platform within 7 months from purchase, where current value of the car at 10k miles is at about $19k-$20k? It's all loss, I know, but I wouldn’t feel bad if I did this, sold the Lotus, and kept the boosted FRS for at least a couple of years.

My 2005 Lotus Elise with SC is very reliable and drives like a dream on track but it’s not a daily. I've had it for just over 4 years now and it's fully sorted out...but I like the idea of having one car that's practical enough for a daily driver, automatic so others in the family can drive it, that handles great on street and track (rwd and good suspension), with rear seat available if you really need it, gets less attention than Lotus, reliable, and simply fun to drive.

For those of you who boosted to around 240-280 whp, did it transform the car enough where you think that you might keep it longer?

...especially if you fall into the "it's my daily and I also take it to HPDE track events up to several days in a year" category...
@dp1 it was great meeting you and talking general auto knowledge. Looking forward to boosting your car!
PrimeMotoring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:39 AM   #34
dp1
driving smoother faster

Drives: Sold
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeMotoring View Post
@dp1 it was great meeting you and talking general auto knowledge. Looking forward to boosting your car!
Made a mistake and went with Prime, later corrected

Last edited by dp1; 02-01-2017 at 09:53 PM.
dp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:24 AM   #35
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,682 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
It's my daily...considering a reliable SC that gets me to about 240 whp and includes appropriate cooling for occasional HPDE events. Looks like an SC kit, installation and tuning should cost me less that 7k.

Please let me know if you have an automatic and you added an SC, or if you work in a shop that installed and tuned an SC on an automatic. Would like to know what to look for...currently interested in Vortech http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...n.php?pvk=4707

Also, if you know of reputable shops relatively close to NYC that could install and tune, please do tell

My other car for fun and track is a Lotus Elise with an SC...hence an AT for a daily FR-S...it's been 6 months and I want more from my daily :-)

Much appreciated
Innovate Supercharger Kits are CARB legal and make about 240-250 whp on 91-93 octane. Too boot they work on both and manual and automatic transmissions. If you are looking for a little more with E85 we have tunes hitting about 300+ whp.

We have quite a few people running these setups at the track with oil cooler upgrades and that is about it.

Cheers,
William Knose
DeliciousTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
dp1 (02-19-2014), whataboutbob (05-01-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 04:56 PM   #36
PrimeMotoring

Drives: FRS with 2jz, 2015 STI 9.68@147
Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
@PrimeMotoring won my business...over $20k in parts and labor...hats off for putting up with me until we finalized the list:
Boost: Jackson Racing supercharger + dyno tune + Ecutek license
Cooling: Jackson Racing oil cooler
Cooling: SSP transmission cooler
Cooling: Koyo radiator
Cooling: APR carbon fiber brake ducts
Air/Oil Separator: Crawford AOS
Fluids: Engine oil - Motul 8100 Eco-Lite 0w20
Fluids: Differential oil - Motul Gear 300 LS
Fluids: Transmission oil - Motul Multi ATF
Fluids: Brake fluid - Motul RBF600
Fluids: Coolant flush (OEM coolant)
Gauges: AEM failsafe gauge
Gauges: P3 gauge
Gauges: Prime Motoring single gauge pod
Brakes: AP Racing Essex Sprint BBK
Brakes: Carbotech 1521 (bobcat) for street and XP12 for track
Brakes: Spiegler SS brake lines front and rear
Brakes: StopTech slotted rear rotors
Suspension: Ohlin Road and Track coilovers (Height adjustment - stock or max 10mm lower, alignment, corner balancing)
Wheels: ARP extended wheel studs
Wheels: Muteki lug nuts
Wheels: Enkei VR5 Hyper Black 17x8 +45
Spacers: 12mm hubcentric spacer for OEM rims (winter setup)
Tires: (track) Toyo RA-1 235/40-17 (shaved and heat cycled)
Tires already bought: (summer street) Michelin PSS and (winter) Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D
Exhaust: P&L Motorsports Equal Length Header w/catalytic converter
Exhaust: P&L Motorsports Overpipe
Exhaust: P&L Motorsports Front Pipe w/catalytic converter
Exhaust: Perrin 2.5" Resonated Cat-back

Very very big thanks to @PrimeMotoring for everything we've accomplished to date. They are an Unbelievably knowledgeable and friendly crew.
@dp1 thank you very much and can not wait to get this project under way!
PrimeMotoring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:13 PM   #37
Sonolin
Banned

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I'm very jealous

Make sure to check back with first impressions of the car after that monster build is complete. You'll have one pretty fast track/street car after that's done.
Sonolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:18 PM   #38
poptopclk

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
how about some video & pics

I'd love to see what adding 20k worth of mods does for this platform.
poptopclk is offline   Reply With Quote