follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southeast

Southeast AR, AL, GA, FL, KY, LA, MS, NC, SC, TN

User Tag List

Old 07-04-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
Erroneous

Drives: Mitsubishi Eclipse
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Searching Inventory in the SE

Hey all,

Has anyone gone to a dealer website and searched through their "inventory" that lists all the cars within the SE region? I've been doing this and finally found a few cars that match what I'm looking for, but I can't figure out where the hell they're located (other than somewhere in the southeast). Dealers have refused to divulge the specific location of the cars; instead they try to convince me that the Argento AT @ $29,000 on their lot is what I'm really looking for.

What's the best way to get this info? The last few digits of the VIN is listed, along with color, options, transmission, and price - but nothing about which dealership currently has the car. I thought about calling the regional manager, but I can't find that person and Scion/dealers won't give it to me either.

I know my car is sitting somewhere waiting for me, but I can't find out where exactly! Any help is much appreciated.
Erroneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #2
cruzinbill

Drives: Argento 6spd FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
theres a firestorm auto here

what are u looking for
cruzinbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:41 AM   #3
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Someone here who has spoken to the regional rep (from the manufacturer) will probably PM you their contact info. Seems like this should be easy to sort out. If you know what you want, any dealer should be able to get it and sell it to you.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
Erroneous

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestwheelbase View Post
Someone here who has spoken to the regional rep (from the manufacturer) will probably PM you their contact info. Seems like this should be easy to sort out. If you know what you want, any dealer should be able to get it and sell it to you.
Thanks for your response. It really DOES seem like an easy thing to figure out, which is why it's driving me nuts. I know what I want, have found a few acceptable cars via the inventory search, but when I ask dealerships about them, the convo always goes something like this:

Me: Hi, I used your inventory search and found a car I like. [Describe car and give last few VIN digits.] I know it's somewhere in the SE, but the particular dealership isn't listed. Can you help me out?
Dealer: Oh, these cars are really rare, there are only X amount [usually 1] of the car you're looking for with those particular options in the ENTIRE REGION!!!1
Me: Um, I know...but there IS one listed - the one I just described to you. And really, I'm only in the market for one car right now, so it's actually perfect.
Dealer: Oh. Well, that dealer is not willing to trade us the car.
Me: That's OK, I'll drive to that dealership if it's within 200 or so miles.
Dealer: It's just so hard to get these, a lot of them are pre-ordered. Would you like us to pre-order one for you just the way you want? Or put you on a wait list? Or are you interested in the one we have on the lot?
Me: Possibly, but I'd like to check out the one that is available right now before ordering and waiting. Couldn't you just tell me where that car is located?
Dealer: No, Toyota/Scion will not allow me to release that information.
Me: So my only option is to directly contact the dozens of dealerships in the SE region to see which one has the car I'm looking for?
Dealer: I guess so.

A Scion rep refused to release the contact info for the regional manager.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #5
bestwheelbase

That would drive me nuts too! You don't want a monologue about how super ultra mega fancy rare the thing is, you just want to buy that one.

Email Scion HQ "I want to buy VIN ### but the search page won't tell me what dealership to call. Please help." Surely someone will realize this is an easy fix and get you pointed in the right direction.

Edit: Better yet -- hit them up on twitter/facebook/etc and I bet they'll respond.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
Erroneous

Quote:
That would drive me nuts too! You don't want a monologue about how super ultra mega fancy rare the thing is, you just want to buy that one.

Email Scion HQ "I want to buy VIN ### but the search page won't tell me what dealership to call. Please help." Surely someone will realize this is an easy fix and get you pointed in the right direction.
Good call - I'll do that. I've checked with 25 dealerships so far to find specific inventory and put it all in a spreadsheet.

I only focused on MTs, but if anyone wants to know what MTs are available within a 200-mile radius of Atlanta, I'd be glad to share the information I've compiled. Obviously, it's all subject to change quickly.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 07-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #7
Nazarite
0 RWHP

Drives: 2008 Mazdaspeed 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Have you called any Subaru places @Erroneous or is it a case of "gotta have a Scion?"
Nazarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #8
bestwheelbase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
If you find your car in Nashville, we'd be happy to deliver it to Atlanta.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #9
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Good call - I'll do that. I've checked with 25 dealerships so far to find specific inventory and put it all in a spreadsheet.

I only focused on MTs, but if anyone wants to know what MTs are available within a 200-mile radius of Atlanta, I'd be glad to share the information I've compiled. Obviously, it's all subject to change quickly.

An MT is supposed to arrive at a local dealership here soon, but I'm in Tampa.. a bit more than 200 miles.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #10
terrypm
First86 & burning gas!!

Drives: Asphalt 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I wonder if you could call Scion's customer service center and get this information. Back in 2005, right after Hurricane Katrina, I was shopping for a MX-5. I called Mazda's customer service and told them what I was looking for. They gave me 4-5 dealers who either had the car or was going to receive it within a couple of weeks.
I called them all, negotiated the price over the phone, and bought from the dealer who offered the best price.
It was one of my easiest buying experiences ever.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #11
Dbjunk

Drives: 2013 FRS
Quote:
Thanks for your response. It really DOES seem like an easy thing to figure out, which is why it's driving me nuts. I know what I want, have found a few acceptable cars via the inventory search, but when I ask dealerships about them, the convo always goes something like this:

Me: Hi, I used your inventory search and found a car I like. [Describe car and give last few VIN digits.] I know it's somewhere in the SE, but the particular dealership isn't listed. Can you help me out?
Dealer: Oh, these cars are really rare, there are only X amount [usually 1] of the car you're looking for with those particular options in the ENTIRE REGION!!!1
Me: Um, I know...but there IS one listed - the one I just described to you. And really, I'm only in the market for one car right now, so it's actually perfect.
Dealer: Oh. Well, that dealer is not willing to trade us the car.
Me: That's OK, I'll drive to that dealership if it's within 200 or so miles.
Dealer: It's just so hard to get these, a lot of them are pre-ordered. Would you like us to pre-order one for you just the way you want? Or put you on a wait list? Or are you interested in the one we have on the lot?
Me: Possibly, but I'd like to check out the one that is available right now before ordering and waiting. Couldn't you just tell me where that car is located?
Dealer: No, Toyota/Scion will not allow me to release that information.
Me: So my only option is to directly contact the dozens of dealerships in the SE region to see which one has the car I'm looking for?
Dealer: I guess so.

A Scion rep refused to release the contact info for the regional manager.
Ive had almost the same experience with a local dealer. I even brought in a print out with the info I found. The best he could do is print out a similar page with another car not even close to the one Id described. (different Transmission, additional features, etc.) He gave me the "rare" speech and even told me to try out a Subaru dealer instead.

Id hate to think that we're more informed than individual dealers about the regions inventory.

Quote:

Please share what you have! Ive considered checking out the Carolinas and East Tennessee area, but I havent been able to find an Ultramarine or Asphalt MT.
Dbjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #12
Erroneous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazarite View Post
Have you called any Subaru places @Erroneous or is it a case of "gotta have a Scion?"
Sticking with Scion because the added cost of the BRZ doesn't seem worth it to me.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #13
Erroneous

Quote:
If you find your car in Nashville, we'd be happy to deliver it to Atlanta.
Haha, I bet! I envy the employees that get to deliver these cars to customers. Quite the perk!

I actually spoke with someone at Beaman Scion in Nashville - Robert Piraino. Nice guy. Still, if I can get it closer to home, that's preferable.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
Erroneous

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrypm View Post
I wonder if you could call Scion's customer service center and get this information. Back in 2005, right after Hurricane Katrina, I was shopping for a MX-5. I called Mazda's customer service and told them what I was looking for. They gave me 4-5 dealers who either had the car or was going to receive it within a couple of weeks.
I called them all, negotiated the price over the phone, and bought from the dealer who offered the best price.
It was one of my easiest buying experiences ever.
I did chat with a Scion rep online and asked him directly for that information but he wasn't helpful. I may try again.