follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 03-20-2017, 09:56 AM   #15
MRS-Colin

Drives: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2020 View Post
The Pure Automotive Motec 130 solution seems the most complete so far. The 2JZ electronics are done and it looks like they're working on a LS application. For those that live in a OBD2 emission state, is there a way to pass emissions though? Please PM me if this is better answered privately.
You sent me a PM on this but I'd like to post about this here as it is something not taken into consideration in this post.

A standalone will NEVER pass plug in emissions checks. They might be able to fake the responses to the tester but that would land them in some very high water. With the current climate in the industry towards emissions this is going to be a bigger and bigger issue moving forward. Regardless of your political leanings (in the States at least) its happening.

Our kit does provide that if you plug a generic scan tool into the OBD2 port it will respond with emissions monitor results from the LS PCM. This is in no way us "defeating" the system or getting around it, but putting the proper responses on the bus so that most plug in emissions test will pass if the LS PCM deems them passing. If you really have an issue with emissions in your state, get an E-Rod kit and our module. If the inspector is lazy and doesn't notice there aren't any checks for evaporative emissions present, you are free!

Passing evaporative emissions with an LS PCM isn't the easiest thing, but its doable.
cf6mech (09-20-2017), dj2020 (03-20-2017), Zer0 (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 11:35 AM   #16
spitfire481

Drives: 2JZ FRS
Thanked 1,354 Times in 621 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRS-Colin View Post
You sent me a PM on this but I'd like to post about this here as it is something not taken into consideration in this post.

A standalone will NEVER pass plug in emissions checks. They might be able to fake the responses to the tester but that would land them in some very high water. With the current climate in the industry towards emissions this is going to be a bigger and bigger issue moving forward. Regardless of your political leanings (in the States at least) its happening.

Our kit does provide that if you plug a generic scan tool into the OBD2 port it will respond with emissions monitor results from the LS PCM. This is in no way us "defeating" the system or getting around it, but putting the proper responses on the bus so that most plug in emissions test will pass if the LS PCM deems them passing. If you really have an issue with emissions in your state, get an E-Rod kit and our module. If the inspector is lazy and doesn't notice there aren't any checks for evaporative emissions present, you are free!

Passing evaporative emissions with an LS PCM isn't the easiest thing, but its doable.

This is all true. The Erod seems like the only true legal swap that can be done and pass emissions. Anything else is on the owner because no shop is willing to take the fine/jail time for making a fake emissions program.
@spitfire481
spitfire481 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spitfire481 For This Useful Post:
dj2020 (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 04:55 PM   #17
MRS-Colin

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire481 View Post
This is all true. The Erod seems like the only true legal swap that can be done and pass emissions. Anything else is on the owner because no shop is willing to take the fine/jail time for making a fake emissions program.
Even the E-Rod kit "technically" does not work with the FT-86 platform as it does not support evaporative emissions. The E Rod kit is designed for pre 1976 cars to be legal.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:58 PM   #18
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
That is true, I don't even think about emissions because Florida.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:55 PM   #19
spitfire481

Quote:
Even the E-Rod kit "technically" does not work with the FT-86 platform as it does not support evaporative emissions. The E Rod kit is designed for pre 1976 cars to be legal.
Well then, it's all out the window lol. I think here it would still "pass" because we can have two readiness monitors not set before it fails. That's with the gm ecu of course. Still an unknown though
@spitfire481
Old 03-20-2017, 06:54 PM   #20
dj2020

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire481 View Post
Well then, it's all out the window lol. I think here it would still "pass" because we can have two readiness monitors not set before it fails. That's with the gm ecu of course. Still an unknown though

Here in NV, we can have just one non ready monitor and still pass. Can the E-rod and/or can bus solution show EGR ready? Using the GM PCM of course.
dj2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:33 PM   #21
spitfire481

Quote:
Here in NV, we can have just one non ready monitor and still pass. Can the E-rod and/or can bus solution show EGR ready? Using the GM PCM of course.
That's all Colin right there. His solution would be the only option that could possibly pass an emissions obd test
@spitfire481
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spitfire481 For This Useful Post:
cf6mech (03-20-2017), dj2020 (03-20-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 08:18 AM   #22
MRS-Colin

Quote:
If you can have one non-ready monitor your best bet is to use a factory PCM and fail the evaporative emissions test. Everything else can be passed easily.

Last I had checked there wasn't an EGR valve on anything past an LS1 so just use a matching crank reluctor PCM from a vehicle that doesn't have EGR and go!

Correct me if I'm wrong on the EGR statement. I know more about the CAN stuff than the hardware stuff
dj2020 (03-21-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 02:54 AM   #23
dj2020

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
If you can have one non-ready monitor your best bet is to use a factory PCM and fail the evaporative emissions test. Everything else can be passed easily.

Last I had checked there wasn't an EGR valve on anything past an LS1 so just use a matching crank reluctor PCM from a vehicle that doesn't have EGR and go!

Correct me if I'm wrong on the EGR statement. I know more about the CAN stuff than the hardware stuff

Sorry OP if we're skewing this discussion too off topic but I figure emissions is probably a pretty important component to a complete swap solution for some of us. Anyone know if OBD2 emissions testing is looking for non ready monitors that are specific to the FRS/BRZ platform? So if the GM PCM is not actually passing along an EGR monitor as ready, and instead passing it along as N/A, won't it be an automatic fail because the emissions testing is expecting an EGR response because this is a FRS/BRZ, and not a GM vehicle per se.
dj2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:28 AM   #24
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Sorry OP if we're skewing this discussion too off topic but I figure emissions is probably a pretty important component to a complete swap solution for some of us.
It's all good!
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
dj2020 (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 08:33 AM   #25
MRS-Colin

Quote:
Sorry OP if we're skewing this discussion too off topic but I figure emissions is probably a pretty important component to a complete swap solution for some of us. Anyone know if OBD2 emissions testing is looking for non ready monitors that are specific to the FRS/BRZ platform? So if the GM PCM is not actually passing along an EGR monitor as ready, and instead passing it along as N/A, won't it be an automatic fail because the emissions testing is expecting an EGR response because this is a FRS/BRZ, and not a GM vehicle per se.
Emissions monitors are agnostic to the platform and are SAE defined. This really gets into a grey area that you'll have to talk to your specific local testing centers. When the handheld scanner reads the monitors for a vehicle that isn't equipped with EGR reports it's EGR status it will report it as not applicable. Your testing center might look at you weird because the vehicle is supposed to have an EGR.
dj2020 (03-22-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 08:52 AM   #26
gtpvette

Drives: 2015 FRS - FFR GTM
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
MRS CAN Gateway by MRS Electronic
Sold by: MRS Electronic
For what swap: LS

What works:
Power Steering
Coolant Gauge
Fuel Gauge
Fuel Economy
Tachometer
MIL Indication with proper frequency

What does not work:
A/C
ABS
OEM or aftermarket traction control
Cruise control

Push Start car verified: Yes

What is expected to get fixed and working on the future:
Cruise control
A/C

Source: Colin MRS Electronic (MRS-Colin)

Have a question. How much of this might still work with a slightly different GM PCM?? The low cost of a GM LGX, LFX with a 6 speed, decent HP and TQ it might make a good candidate. Are the signals generally the same across GM PCM's??

2015 FR-S - One Day I'll Finish The Swap
gtpvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:04 AM   #27
MRS-Colin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpvette View Post
Have a question. How much of this might still work with a slightly different GM PCM?? The low cost of a GM LGX, LFX with a 6 speed, decent HP and TQ it might make a good candidate. Are the signals generally the same across GM PCM's??
I have investigated the LFX and LGX PCM's and I could say realistically it would also work. GM uses the same signaling between all vehicles so the core functionality is there. I've never tested it but I'm 95% sure it would work just fine.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:21 AM   #28
gtpvette

Drives: 2015 FRS - FFR GTM
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
I have investigated the LFX and LGX PCM's and I could say realistically it would also work. GM uses the same signaling between all vehicles so the core functionality is there. I've never tested it but I'm 95% sure it would work just fine.

Terrific,,, thank you!!

2015 FR-S - One Day I'll Finish The Swap
gtpvette is offline   Reply With Quote