follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 03-10-2016, 06:41 PM   #141
Jay Grey

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited DGM MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Received my Diode Dynamics Always On Module for my BRZ that I purchased from FT86Speedfactory. Install was super easy... Go figure since it doesn't work. I tried everything, disconnecting & reinstalling the relay & plugs. Only in headlight mode the boomerangs come on. The DRL's are not working in OFF, AUTO mode even with the E-brake down or driving the vehicle. Waiting to hear back from both places to see how to fix or replace the module.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:19 AM   #142
Diode Dynamics

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,761 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Grey View Post
Received my Diode Dynamics Always On Module for my BRZ that I purchased from FT86Speedfactory. Install was super easy... Go figure since it doesn't work. I tried everything, disconnecting & reinstalling the relay & plugs. Only in headlight mode the boomerangs come on. The DRL's are not working in OFF, AUTO mode even with the E-brake down or driving the vehicle. Waiting to hear back from both places to see how to fix or replace the module.
The factory DRL function is only replaced by the relay itself, so it is incredibly strange that it is not working. We know that the relays themselves are fine, we test every one directly on the vehicle, in the fuse box, before shipping them out, with no problems at all. We have been struggling with this problem for some time. At this point, we believe that it is a vehicle-by-vehicle quirk going on, or some BRZs are wired differently in some way to the relay. From what we have seen, the majority of these modules install without problem, but even with a replacement some vehicles just don't like the new relay.

If possible, please send us the part number on your original relay so we can check it. Otherwise, regrettably, we will need to arrange a refund and return. Thank you, and I'm very sorry for the disappointment.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:47 AM   #143
Jay Grey

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited DGM MT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
The factory DRL function is only replaced by the relay itself, so it is incredibly strange that it is not working. We know that the relays themselves are fine, we test every one directly on the vehicle, in the fuse box, before shipping them out, with no problems at all. We have been struggling with this problem for some time. At this point, we believe that it is a vehicle-by-vehicle quirk going on, or some BRZs are wired differently in some way to the relay. From what we have seen, the majority of these modules install without problem, but even with a replacement some vehicles just don't like the new relay.

If possible, please send us the part number on your original relay so we can check it. Otherwise, regrettably, we will need to arrange a refund and return. Thank you, and I'm very sorry for the disappointment.
After doing some research, tinkering back & forth. Found out the Always On Module keeps blowing the fuse in slot #5 for DRL's in Instrument Panel Fuse Box under the interior dash board. After replacing the fuse with a new one, I figured give it one more try... Why not right? Lol. Only come to find out it blew the fuse again for the DRL's same slot #5 in the Instrument Panel Fuse Box. Replaced Always On relay with the factory relay, installed new fuse & everything is working normal. There is definitely something wrong with the wiring harness for this set up. I highly doubt it would be the relay, since it should only control the function of on or off.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jay Grey; 03-11-2016 at 11:45 AM.
Jay Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:49 PM   #144
SteveCat86

Drives: BRZ Hyper Blue
I have the 2nd gen module as well and have noticed the same thing you have tried with #5 slot fuse blowing (DRL fuse in car). The stock car is a 10 amp fuse and I tried it with a 15 amp fuse and it still blew it out. Any thoughts?
SteveCat86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:37 PM   #145
BRZ-y

Drives: Brz limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Same here. Just received the replacement module with less results. Sending both back together tomorrow. Before I do I'll post pictures of the relays.
BRZ-y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:15 AM   #146
TheDrkNite

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Same here, 2nd gen relay not working in my gf's car. I sent a ticket in to diode for support.
TheDrkNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:41 PM   #147
BRZ86_

Drives: 2014 WR Blue Subaru BRZ Limited
I just installed mine just now to have the same problem....
BRZ86_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:03 PM   #148
nova.86
Legendary Member

Drives: HyperBlue BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I got a second kit sent because the first one blew a fuse, second kit did the same D:
Old 03-27-2016, 06:47 PM   #149
tracerit

Drives: '13 SSM BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
how quickly are these fuses being blown? I have the first generation one I suppose (purchased last year from fteightysix) and ran fine for about a month before I took it off when I went to the dealership. Was planning on putting it back on today.

I had a Diode Dynamics LED fog light bulb blow fuses on me about two years ago too. Just went back to stock since I never use the fogs. The rest of my exterior lighting is fitted with DD LEDs no issues otherwise.
tracerit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:11 PM   #150
dobbrz

Drives: RB v1 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
to everyone having issues...mine didn't work as described in a number of other posts in this thread...then i twisted the light stock in the car all the way up and down through the options once and it worked properly...I know you may think I am crazy but it worked..
My first set didn't work properly and they sent me another one and had fantastic customer service, I received the other one and installed the same way and had the same issue, then went through all the options like I described and it worked..really weird and probably impossible to replicate but...try fiddling with it?

instagram: @andrewdobbie93
dobbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:32 AM   #151
piotrr

Drives: wrb brz
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
@dobbrz just tried installing it again with no luck, still 'no DRL' issue.

Is this ever coming back @Diode Dynamics ? I'm waiting for an RMA (EU module) 4 months now.
piotrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:08 AM   #152
Crusifix

Drives: 2014 GT500
This will be my first mod when I get a BRZ...once they get it sorted out.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:04 PM   #153
Diode Dynamics

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,761 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrr View Post
@dobbrz just tried installing it again with no luck, still 'no DRL' issue.

Is this ever coming back @Diode Dynamics ? I'm waiting for an RMA (EU module) 4 months now.
Hello,

The majority of problems we had (as you can read above) seemed to be due to inconsistent results from the way the relay plugged in to replace the factory relay. It makes zero sense because we are using factory relays that are identical.

To resolve the problem, we have eliminated the relay completely, and instead we are using the plug by the right-hand factory DRL to connect to the DRL circuit. This has been tested with good results and we are just waiting for the harnesses to arrive from our wiring supplier. We will be doing some final testing, a new install video, and these will be back in production soon. Of course, we will be replacing the units of all those waiting first.

Thanks!
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Diode Dynamics For This Useful Post:
Irace86 (05-23-2016), piotrr (05-23-2016), VMRamos (05-22-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 10:01 PM   #154
sirsol66

Drives: 2013 FRS- Hot Lava
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Slightly related but any plan to bring back the FR-S always on module? I've been waiting patiently to buy one for my 10 series but it still says that they're being re-designed.
sirsol66 is offline   Reply With Quote