follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-28-2016, 01:00 PM   #1345
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
They haven't stated anything about a hybrid system yet, so hopefully the BMW turbo motor stuff is actually coming to fruition, but who knows. It would be an immediate no go if there is anything having to do with hybrid in that car, and I would wind up in another corvette.
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
Nah. Once there are $20-30k electric family sedans capable of going 300-400 miles on a single charge, and to be fully recharged overnight at home and partially recharged within minutes at a charging station, almost no one will want the the old Mr. Otto's invention, hybridized or not. This going to happen in 10, maybe 15 years.
I still agree with Mr. James May, that both hybrids and e-cars are obsolete once affordable hydrogen fuel cells come into play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HunterGreene For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (03-28-2016), Tcoat (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 01:04 PM   #1346
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Agreed with @HunterGreene

Pure electric and electric hybrid are only bridge technologies to Hydrogen fuel cell. Toyota (the world's hybrid leader, is already banking on it). I don't think we'll see a time where there are only electric and hybrids with no ICE cars on the road.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
HunterGreene (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 01:05 PM   #1347
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
Why?

I'd rather have a non hybrid motor in a project car. Other performance offerings don't have it, so.... I'd always pick one of those.

I guess for a beater gas mileage car it'd be okay, but not a likely choice personally.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:18 PM   #1348
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatScan View Post
$28,999. Instead of real mechanical improvements, we get ugly-ass bling. Maybe TCoat can make a call and find out how old the new 86 design team is. My guess is they are all about 22.
There could be some truth to this. When Honda went from 3rd to 4th gen Integra they pretty much replaced the design team with 20 something fresh grads. The car went from sleek looking to a mouse / hamster form factor.

Usually the first iteration of a sports car model with most manufacturers come out looking distinctively different from the rest of the model line. The facelift is usually when they try to incorporate some sort of unified brand identity to bring it back inline with the other models.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:18 PM   #1349
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Quote:
I'd rather have a non hybrid motor in a project car. Other performance offerings don't have it, so.... I'd always pick one of those.

I guess for a beater gas mileage car it'd be okay, but not a likely choice personally.
Ferrari LaFerrari? Acura NSX (not proven yet)? Porche 918 (hypercar, but applies to the point)? I realize none of these are close in price to what the FT-1 production model is shooting for, but all of these cars were fairly well-received despite being hybrids.

Your vision of hybrids being like the Prius and Insight are outdated.
Quote:
It has priests in it?
Old 03-28-2016, 01:22 PM   #1350
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Quote:
Ferrari LaFerrari? Acura NSX (not proven yet)? Porche 918 (hypercar, but applies to the point)? I realize none of these are close in price to what the FT-1 production model is shooting for, but all of these cars were fairly well-received despite being hybrids.

Your vision of hybrids being like the Prius and Insight are outdated.

No, it isn't. I understand and can appreciate those cars, but you're on a different level there.

You don't know what my priorities are. As someone who would like a project car to not only look nice and run well, I'd also like to be able to look at it and work on it without adding a whole ton of specialty tools or learning a whole new aspect of maintenance / repair.

If I were fine with taking any of my cars to the dealer for every bit of maintenance or I leased a car sure.... no problem. That isn't my situation. That's why I said personally.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:23 PM   #1351
mdm
not a twin owner

Drives: 2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
I still agree with Mr. James May, that both hybrids and e-cars are obsolete once affordable hydrogen fuel cells come into play.

Maybe, but that would take more time. There is no developed infrastructure for production and distribution of hydrogen at the required volumes. Electric power is available in every house.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:28 PM   #1352
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Quote:
No, it isn't. I understand and can appreciate those cars, but you're on a different level there.

You don't know what my priorities are. As someone who would like a project car to not only look nice and run well, I'd also like to be able to look at it and work on it without adding a whole ton of specialty tools or learning a whole new aspect of maintenance / repair.

If I were fine with taking any of my cars to the dealer for every bit of maintenance or I leased a car sure.... no problem. That isn't my situation. That's why I said personally.
When you put it that way, you make more sense. I see your point. Just saying, the only "extra" tools you would probably need are a multi-meter (if you dont have one already) and maybe some insulated gloves to prevent unintended shocks. The rest is fairly simple. Remember that electric motor technology has been around for almost 150 years now.

Quote:
Maybe, but that would take more time. There is no developed infrastructure for production and distribution of hydrogen at the required volumes. Electric power is available in every house.
Not entirely true. Current gas stations could be retrofit to distribute hydrogen/fuel cell fuel without a complete rebuild of infrastructure.
Quote:
It has priests in it?
Old 03-28-2016, 01:32 PM   #1353
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
As someone who would like a project car to not only look nice and run well, I'd also like to be able to look at it and work on it without adding a whole ton of specialty tools or learning a whole new aspect of maintenance / repair.
Funny, I was just talking to one of the few remaining carburetor rebuilders recently, and he had the exact same attitude about fuel injection.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
ConceptX (03-28-2016), HunterGreene (03-28-2016), Summerwolf (03-28-2016), Tcoat (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 01:34 PM   #1354
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Funny, I was just talking to one of the few remaining carburetor rebuilders recently, and he had the exact same attitude about fuel injection.

Ha, that is actually a great parallel!
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
extrashaky (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 01:36 PM   #1355
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Back in the day we were all very convinced that fuel injection and duel overhead cams were a fad and that carbs and single cams would never go away. We were 50% wrong.
ConceptX (03-28-2016), DAEMANO (03-28-2016), HunterGreene (03-28-2016), JD001 (03-28-2016), krayzie (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 02:15 PM   #1356
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Computers won over carbs, they will win over gas motors. Once batteries last longer and weigh less there will be no reason to have a gas engine in 99% of vehicles
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:24 PM   #1357
mdm
not a twin owner

Drives: 2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
. Current gas stations could be retrofit to distribute hydrogen/fuel cell fuel without a complete rebuild of infrastructure.

You would have to replace the distributors and the tanks (or coat them). Also pipelines, tank trucks. Hydrogen causes a lot of problems, like corrosion, embrittlement, seepage of hydrogen through metal crystalline structure.

Not unsolvable, but difficult and costly.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:01 PM   #1358
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
You would have to replace the distributors and the tanks (or coat them). Also pipelines, tank trucks. Hydrogen causes a lot of problems, like corrosion, embrittlement, seepage of hydrogen through metal crystalline structure.

Not unsolvable, but difficult and costly.
I think we'll skip all that. You can't really make gasoline in your garage, but you can pull hydrogen out of water using electricity. Honda is developing a hydrogen system that would fit in your garage and use solar power to extract and compress hydrogen to refuel your car. For those who can't have a plant at home, or for when you're away from your home plant, we'll see a more distributed production model where hydrogen plants replace corner gas stations to make and store the hydrogen on site. Eventually apartment buildings will have their own plants for their tenants, and your fuel bill will become part of your rent.

We'll have a few blow up, and that will make for some interesting news cycles. But I think that will just further the push toward smaller, local plants rather than transporting the stuff on the road where accidents are more likely to occur.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buttons everywhere, damn daniel, i hate it, i love it, much opinion, mustache ride, rosted zaku by soa, so change, very tryhard