follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Xero Limit
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-12-2019, 03:01 AM   #267
churchx
Senior Member
 
churchx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Drives: 2014 orange GT86
Location: Latvia, Riga
Posts: 3,462
Thanks: 476
Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,096 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Even if you have +20% better grip, on cleaned up roads with little of snow/ice, you may still have unplown driveway, still some smaller backroad with ice/snow, and what good it will be if you get stuck or crashed there, even if that mileage will be just 5% of total driven? Or drive all the time on good clean roads, but that one time a month deciding to go to skiing trip or to visit old folks in more nothern state. And get that trip spoiled with getting stranded .

So not sure about "excellent option". Prefering to choose giving up some grip when plentiful, to get in return all possible grip when it's scarce.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
korhun (09-12-2019), Tcoat (09-12-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 11:50 AM   #268
Chy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: BRZ
Location: USA
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Even if you have +20% better grip, on cleaned up roads with little of snow/ice, you may still have unplown driveway, still some smaller backroad with ice/snow, and what good it will be if you get stuck or crashed there, even if that mileage will be just 5% of total driven? Or drive all the time on good clean roads, but that one time a month deciding to go to skiing trip or to visit old folks in more nothern state. And get that trip spoiled with getting stranded .

So not sure about "excellent option". Prefering to choose giving up some grip when plentiful, to get in return all possible grip when it's scarce.
Ok, but consumer reports is saying some all weather tires (for example Goodyear assurance weatherready) are superior to some winter tires. That seems pretty impressive to me. For me, I never deal with more than a few inches of snow on the road. Or some days with ice. They seem ideal in this situation and vastly better than all seasons.
Chy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:04 PM   #269
churchx
Senior Member
 
churchx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Drives: 2014 orange GT86
Location: Latvia, Riga
Posts: 3,462
Thanks: 476
Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,096 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Superrior what/where. On clean interstates simply in cold weather? Or on real snow/ice? And compared to which "some"? Vs some very cheapest from China? With good all-season from top manufacturers more then possible. Vs top three winter tires on snow/ice (from which i usually try to get)? Doubt it.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:12 PM   #270
Chy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: BRZ
Location: USA
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Superrior what/where. On clean interstates simply in cold weather? Or on real snow/ice? And compared to which "some"? Vs some very cheapest from China? With good all-season from top manufacturers more then possible. Vs top three winter tires on snow/ice (from which i usually try to get)? Doubt it.
Did you even read the tirerack test reports? They test on ice and snow.
Chy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:36 PM   #271
WolfWings
Junior Member
 
WolfWings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Premium, Blue
Location: Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chy View Post
Ok, so these "All Weather" Tires are very interesting.

Take a look at these TireRack results in the snow/ice:

...

It seems like the All Weather Tires could be an excellent option for year round use in places that get low amounts of snow and ice?
That's more or less my outlook; pack a set of chains if you're worried about heavier stuff, but after almost a full year on these I will say they drive and feel like studless winter tires, and handle dirt/gravel roads with aplomb whenever I've gone out into the wilderness.

I'd compare them most directly to General Altimax Arctic's, if you were going to get those (unstudded) instead of Blizzak's due to price differences I'd get the Vredestein's instead. Same performance to a T, but good to use year-round.
WolfWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:49 PM   #272
Chy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: BRZ
Location: USA
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWings View Post
That's more or less my outlook; pack a set of chains if you're worried about heavier stuff, but after almost a full year on these I will say they drive and feel like studless winter tires, and handle dirt/gravel roads with aplomb whenever I've gone out into the wilderness.

I'd compare them most directly to General Altimax Arctic's, if you were going to get those (unstudded) instead of Blizzak's due to price differences I'd get the Vredestein's instead. Same performance to a T, but good to use year-round.
Great info, thanks. I'm considering the Vredestein's or the Goodyear Assurance Weatherready. Weatherready looks like it may be better in the snow/ice. Consumer reports rated it as #2 all weather, only behind the CrossClimate+. Tirerack also rates the weatherready better it seems.
Chy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winter tire experiences? smbrm CANADA 10 11-06-2012 05:42 PM
What Winter Tire for NY Weather? ScionFR-S Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack 84 10-29-2012 07:02 PM
Winter tire Dub666 Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack 1 09-12-2012 01:32 AM
Need some help picking a winter tire... jm1681 Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack 19 08-29-2012 01:14 PM
Contribute your review for California Scion/Subaru dealers DuMa Southern California 20 02-06-2012 12:59 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.