follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Xero Limit
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 09-12-2019, 03:01 AM   #267
churchx

Drives: 2014 orange GT86
Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,096 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Even if you have +20% better grip, on cleaned up roads with little of snow/ice, you may still have unplown driveway, still some smaller backroad with ice/snow, and what good it will be if you get stuck or crashed there, even if that mileage will be just 5% of total driven? Or drive all the time on good clean roads, but that one time a month deciding to go to skiing trip or to visit old folks in more nothern state. And get that trip spoiled with getting stranded .

So not sure about "excellent option". Prefering to choose giving up some grip when plentiful, to get in return all possible grip when it's scarce.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
korhun (09-12-2019), Tcoat (09-12-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 11:50 AM   #268
Chy

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Even if you have +20% better grip, on cleaned up roads with little of snow/ice, you may still have unplown driveway, still some smaller backroad with ice/snow, and what good it will be if you get stuck or crashed there, even if that mileage will be just 5% of total driven? Or drive all the time on good clean roads, but that one time a month deciding to go to skiing trip or to visit old folks in more nothern state. And get that trip spoiled with getting stranded .

So not sure about "excellent option". Prefering to choose giving up some grip when plentiful, to get in return all possible grip when it's scarce.
Ok, but consumer reports is saying some all weather tires (for example Goodyear assurance weatherready) are superior to some winter tires. That seems pretty impressive to me. For me, I never deal with more than a few inches of snow on the road. Or some days with ice. They seem ideal in this situation and vastly better than all seasons.
Chy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:04 PM   #269
churchx

Drives: 2014 orange GT86
Thanked 1,590 Times in 1,096 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Superrior what/where. On clean interstates simply in cold weather? Or on real snow/ice? And compared to which "some"? Vs some very cheapest from China? With good all-season from top manufacturers more then possible. Vs top three winter tires on snow/ice (from which i usually try to get)? Doubt it.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:12 PM   #270
Chy

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Superrior what/where. On clean interstates simply in cold weather? Or on real snow/ice? And compared to which "some"? Vs some very cheapest from China? With good all-season from top manufacturers more then possible. Vs top three winter tires on snow/ice (from which i usually try to get)? Doubt it.
Did you even read the tirerack test reports? They test on ice and snow.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:36 PM   #271
WolfWings

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Premium, Blue
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chy View Post
Ok, so these "All Weather" Tires are very interesting.

Take a look at these TireRack results in the snow/ice:

It seems like the All Weather Tires could be an excellent option for year round use in places that get low amounts of snow and ice?
That's more or less my outlook; pack a set of chains if you're worried about heavier stuff, but after almost a full year on these I will say they drive and feel like studless winter tires, and handle dirt/gravel roads with aplomb whenever I've gone out into the wilderness.

I'd compare them most directly to General Altimax Arctic's, if you were going to get those (unstudded) instead of Blizzak's due to price differences I'd get the Vredestein's instead. Same performance to a T, but good to use year-round.
WolfWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:49 PM   #272
Chy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWings View Post
That's more or less my outlook; pack a set of chains if you're worried about heavier stuff, but after almost a full year on these I will say they drive and feel like studless winter tires, and handle dirt/gravel roads with aplomb whenever I've gone out into the wilderness.

I'd compare them most directly to General Altimax Arctic's, if you were going to get those (unstudded) instead of Blizzak's due to price differences I'd get the Vredestein's instead. Same performance to a T, but good to use year-round.
Great info, thanks. I'm considering the Vredestein's or the Goodyear Assurance Weatherready. Weatherready looks like it may be better in the snow/ice. Consumer reports rated it as #2 all weather, only behind the CrossClimate+. Tirerack also rates the weatherready better it seems.