follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 > Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum

Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum All photos, videos and other media related to the Scion FR-S and Toyota 86


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-16-2016, 02:19 PM   #29
gouldilocks
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Location: Chicago
Posts: 44
Thanks: 21
Thanked 17 Times in 10 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
Are those sparco's?
You are correct .

By the looks of it looks like our summer setups is close too , vintage gold on your stockers? looks good
Attached Images
  
gouldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:20 PM   #30
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat
 
BigFatFlip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Location: Sack of Potatoes
Posts: 4,428
Thanks: 2,628
Thanked 3,779 Times in 1,973 Posts
Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouldilocks View Post
You are correct .

By the looks of it looks like our summer setups is close too , vintage gold on your stockers? looks good
Haha, yes, that's my "commuter" set-up lol painting them gold was one of the first mods I've done. Those primacy hp's last for-freaking-ever! Really like the Sparcos, good, inexpensive, rally-looking wheels. I may get a set eventually to replace the stock WRX wheels I used for the next TSD (whenever that is eventually).

Took the car on a track day recently, so I'm on "tarmac rally" spec Enkei RCT-4's w/ RE11A's with the roof basket (not shown) to carry my spare tire, tools, etc.
Attached Images
 
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
gouldilocks (05-16-2016), Iceman (10-13-2016), TeutonicShift89 (10-19-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 01:12 PM   #31
JazzleSAURUS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Location: Western MA
Posts: 1,029
Thanks: 556
Thanked 550 Times in 349 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So I noticed the first two pages have a lot of questions about LiftedBRZ's setup. I'm happy to answer any questions on his behalf.

I'm the guy who has done the majority of the mechanical work on the car with him, or redone old work that either he or I weren't happy with. (I'm looking at you....Borla welders....)

He's currently on Flatout Rally coilovers. We had a set of ADF lift spacers but ended up with the coilovers shortly after. The plan is to run all the ADF geometry correction with the Flatout coilovers. The flatouts are quite nice, and seem to be smooth, adjust accordingly. We've done a few adjustments and revisions. I think the next go-round we're going to look into external reservoir fronts and keep softening it. The front end of that car takes a pretty serious beating.
__________________
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JazzleSAURUS For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (10-24-2016), TeutonicShift89 (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 06:11 PM   #32
TeutonicShift89
Senior Member
 
TeutonicShift89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Drives: '13 LAVA - lightly modded
Location: Western NC
Posts: 122
Thanks: 143
Thanked 52 Times in 31 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
So I noticed the first two pages have a lot of questions about LiftedBRZ's setup. I'm happy to answer any questions on his behalf.

I'm the guy who has done the majority of the mechanical work on the car with him, or redone old work that either he or I weren't happy with. (I'm looking at you....Borla welders....)

.
Awesome man! In general, one thing that would be helpful to the rest of us considering going his route would be:

what were some of the pitfalls or complications you run into lifting our cars and running 215/65/16 tall tires on them? I know fender liners, rubbing, alignments, etc become issues.

To put it another way: what are the real world pros and cons of doing this, and what are some compromises you should be willing to make for the benefits?
__________________
You are going to be condemned to live out the consequences of your taste - TM

TeutonicShift89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:31 AM   #33
JazzleSAURUS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Location: Western MA
Posts: 1,029
Thanks: 556
Thanked 550 Times in 349 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeutonicShift89 View Post
Awesome man! In general, one thing that would be helpful to the rest of us considering going his route would be:

what were some of the pitfalls or complications you run into lifting our cars and running 215/65/16 tall tires on them? I know fender liners, rubbing, alignments, etc become issues.

To put it another way: what are the real world pros and cons of doing this, and what are some compromises you should be willing to make for the benefits?
All the issues you have when going low, prepare to deal with them in reverse.

We ended up with some positive camber issues that were to be resolved with LCA's and camber bolts, but the Flatout coilovers handled them. Additionally, some of the good lift kits resolve this issue also. The ADF kit has camber and caster built in. My sisters Forester has a Subtle Solutions lift kit, and I really disliked it.

It doesn't have the geometry correction built in, when I removed it two of their supplied bolts snapped. I contacted them and they said 'they are factory spec'. The factory puts studs there, not bolts. So the bolts are under way more friction, thus the issue at hand. Same thing happened when we pulled the subtle kit from @LiftedBRZ's car.

We did not care for that kit.

Fender liners are looooong gone. They tore out quite a while ago.

Due to his high speed life we haven't resolved that issue yet, but I've made some cardboard templates to build an all in one eurathane fender liner, and small mud flap to direct stuff away from the car. Granted, this is specific to the rocket bunny kit so I imagine the community use case would be pretty minimal.

One of the biggest issues we're running into is getting a front strut that's soft enough for how hard he's pushing.

We may be making a few changes I'm not sure he's willing to disclose to the greater community yet that make is less dramatic in a few ways, but should be much more potent.
__________________
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JazzleSAURUS For This Useful Post:
bcj (10-19-2016), BigFatFlip (10-19-2016), TeutonicShift89 (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 10:58 AM   #34
TeutonicShift89
Senior Member
 
TeutonicShift89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Drives: '13 LAVA - lightly modded
Location: Western NC
Posts: 122
Thanks: 143
Thanked 52 Times in 31 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post

The ADF kit has camber and caster built in.
I'm so glad you brought this up because I was definitely eye balling the subtlesolutions kit but was worried about the alignment issues. Thank you for pointing to ADF as a solution.



From their site it looks like they have a 2'' lift kit that has the camber/castor correction built in, as well as a special order option for ostensibly different heights and configurations too http://andersondesign-fab.com/2-spacers-copy-copy.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post

Granted, this is specific to the rocket bunny kit so I imagine the community use case would be pretty minimal.

It's a lot of work, but that's exactly why i feel there could be a market for it--more especially if it was made for stock, non wide body cars. The availability of enlarged fender liners on our cars would definitely be of interest to some I'm sure.



Another option that has since occurred to me for ultimate ease of use would be to go with a more traditional rally sized 15'' (making sure it clears our brakes) with a 205/65/15 or 195/65/15 configuration in conjunction with, say, the adf 2'' lift kit mentioned above. That would probably come closest to actually recreating the look of the nameless rally car from the front page of the thread without the need for different fender liners, etc. It also looks like that's close to the size Toyota's own CS-R3 rally car is running http://www.racingbytmg.com/en/motors...specification/

Thoughts?

I've asked liftedbrz and liftedfrs on IG--but from your perspective--how do these cars handle specced the way they are when they AREN'T on gravel? Like normal roads?
__________________
You are going to be condemned to live out the consequences of your taste - TM

TeutonicShift89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TeutonicShift89 For This Useful Post:
bcj (10-19-2016), BigFatFlip (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 12:59 PM   #35
JazzleSAURUS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Location: Western MA
Posts: 1,029
Thanks: 556
Thanked 550 Times in 349 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeutonicShift89 View Post
I'm so glad you brought this up because I was definitely eye balling the subtlesolutions kit but was worried about the alignment issues. Thank you for pointing to ADF as a solution.

Yup, and they'll fabricate anything you want. IMHO I think it's best to build in your alignment specs to the lift, using camber bolts on a car that's going to be jostled this hard is going to be rough on it, and an eccentric LCA setup is liable to slip. We were going to try it, but I'm glad we didn't have to lol.


Quote:
From their site it looks like they have a 2'' lift kit that has the camber/castor correction built in, as well as a special order option for ostensibly different heights and configurations too http://andersondesign-fab.com/2-spacers-copy-copy.html
Yep, tell them what you want, and they'll make it!


Quote:
It's a lot of work, but that's exactly why i feel there could be a market for it--more especially if it was made for stock, non wide body cars. The availability of enlarged fender liners on our cars would definitely be of interest to some I'm sure.
Agreed, I even considered making a set for my car just because I don't like stock fender liners lol. I built a set for a friends WRX and they've held up really great. The stocks have been fine for me though so until I tear them out I'll leave them alone.



Quote:


Another option that has since occurred to me for ultimate ease of use would be to go with a more traditional rally sized 15'' (making sure it clears our brakes) with a 205/65/15 or 195/65/15 configuration in conjunction with, say, the adf 2'' lift kit mentioned above. That would probably come closest to actually recreating the look of the nameless rally car from the front page of the thread without the need for different fender liners, etc. It also looks like that's close to the size Toyota's own CS-R3 rally car is running http://www.racingbytmg.com/en/motors...specification/

Thoughts?
I think something like this isn't a bad idea. If I personally were to go down this road, I'd likely go WRX 4/2 pots to get the better clearance with 15" wheels, and run take off rally second tires. Super cheap, (think $100 for a set of 4 medium stiffness tires...) 4/2 pots will bias nicely, (running 4 pots on the liftedbrz.) I'd also start with a 1" lift spacer to see if that's really the road you want to go down, and how much more you actually want!

Quote:
I've asked liftedbrz and liftedfrs on IG--but from your perspective--how do these cars handle specced the way they are when they AREN'T on gravel? Like normal roads?
Decent. It's clearly still an amazing chassis, but the reality is you've added a lot of compliance in the tire/sidewall, you've added whatever your lift height is in leverage on the stock suspension components, if you're spacing wheels out for clearance and wideness you're changing scrub angles etc.

I think these cars are amazing on dirt roads though. There are some local windy dirt roads that are often 'closed' that you can have a blast on, and the liftedbrz is about the most fun thing I've ever taken down them...I've only really had more fun on my friends aprillia with studded tires.
__________________
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JazzleSAURUS For This Useful Post:
bcj (10-19-2016), TeutonicShift89 (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 11:05 PM   #36
TeutonicShift89
Senior Member
 
TeutonicShift89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Drives: '13 LAVA - lightly modded
Location: Western NC
Posts: 122
Thanks: 143
Thanked 52 Times in 31 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This was posted yesterday and it's about Leh Keen's Safari 911 in this thread doing the sorts of things we want to do.

Also cool that this was shot in my neck of the woods in Western NC!

__________________
You are going to be condemned to live out the consequences of your taste - TM

TeutonicShift89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TeutonicShift89 For This Useful Post:
Adam_L (09-10-2018), BigFatFlip (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 05:28 PM   #37
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat
 
BigFatFlip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Location: Sack of Potatoes
Posts: 4,428
Thanks: 2,628
Thanked 3,779 Times in 1,973 Posts
Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
The ADF kit has camber and caster built in. My sisters Forester has a Subtle Solutions lift kit, and I really disliked it.

It doesn't have the geometry correction built in, when I removed it two of their supplied bolts snapped. I contacted them and they said 'they are factory spec'. The factory puts studs there, not bolts. So the bolts are under way more friction, thus the issue at hand. Same thing happened when we pulled the subtle kit from @LiftedBRZ's car.

We did not care for that kit.
Very interested in seeing some installed pics of the ADF kit. Their website doesn't really show much. I had Subtle solution spacers on my car for a couple of weeks when I did a TSD for fun and they worked fine, but definitely caused the geometry to be wacky. Needless to say, the drive to and from the event, around the free way and back roads, was more of an "adventure" than the actual TSD it self, which was mostly on gravel private and fire roads at lower speeds.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 04:25 PM   #38
TeutonicShift89
Senior Member
 
TeutonicShift89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Drives: '13 LAVA - lightly modded
Location: Western NC
Posts: 122
Thanks: 143
Thanked 52 Times in 31 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm very curious what the minimum clearance would need to be to clear stock fender liners.

I think liftedfrz was doing a 215/65/16 on a 2'' lift right?

Would a 195/65/16 on a 1'' or 2'' lift be small enough to keep the liners in place, which would be a good thing for those who'd like swap back and forth with minimum alterations.
__________________
You are going to be condemned to live out the consequences of your taste - TM

TeutonicShift89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 04:34 PM   #39
DustinS
Senior Member
 
DustinS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 1,859
Thanks: 2,370
Thanked 1,279 Times in 743 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeutonicShift89 View Post
I'm very curious what the minimum clearance would need to be to clear stock fender liners.

I think liftedfrz was doing a 215/65/16 on a 2'' lift right?

Would a 195/65/16 on a 1'' or 2'' lift be small enough to keep the liners in place, which would be a good thing for those who'd like swap back and forth with minimum alterations.
1" Lift with 215/65/16 is enough to clear fender liners. Your only issues becomes the frame extension at the back of the fender well that pushes the fender liner out a tad too far. It will rub, but not really bad enough to really worry about it. I just ignored it while I had mine lifted.
__________________
DustinS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:19 AM   #40
Berkley
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: 14 FR-S Monogram MT
Location: Philly
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Put my new snow tires on. These are 215/60r16 on 2002 or 2003 Subaru Forester wheels. Come at me, winter.
Attached Images
  
Berkley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Berkley For This Useful Post:
TeutonicShift89 (12-14-2016), Ultramaroon (12-14-2016)
Old 02-04-2017, 03:42 PM   #41
TeutonicShift89
Senior Member
 
TeutonicShift89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Drives: '13 LAVA - lightly modded
Location: Western NC
Posts: 122
Thanks: 143
Thanked 52 Times in 31 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Found a few more awesome photos posted in November of a rally GT86 driver's car. You can read about his story here.

He's running a 205/45/17 for tarmac. I also like having the mud flaps sitting further outboard and lower than the rally armor versions. White also seems to be ideal for the rally look.







Can anyone tell about how much extra height this car's running over stock front and back? The front seems to be the most different from stock, while the back appears to be almost the same as stock. Is it just an optical illusion or do other people see what I'm seeing?

I looked at doing a 1'' lift all around but based on the one photo I've ever seen of this done on stock wheel/tires it looks too high--and much higher than what you see above. The guy I found on instagram used the Subtle Solutions 1'' lift, and doesn't appear to have kept in on very long:

__________________
You are going to be condemned to live out the consequences of your taste - TM

TeutonicShift89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:36 PM   #42
BRZdart17
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Drives: BRZ
Location: Canada
Posts: 28
Thanks: 16
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I love this graphic on the side, I suppose this will be what I get when my rally set-up is done.
BRZdart17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRZdart17 For This Useful Post:
bcj (05-27-2017), TeutonicShift89 (05-08-2018)
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WORLD RALLY BLUE BRZ Compilation Hachiroku Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum 1171 11-17-2019 06:50 AM
Rally GT86 - The Little Car That Could - Lots of rally video and photos! Circuit Motorsports Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting 46 10-08-2016 12:30 PM
BRZ/FRS VIS Carbon Fiber oem style hood and AMS style trunk. BNIB. js0uth Exterior Parts (Aero, Lighting, Etc.) 76 12-03-2014 05:37 PM
86 Farm Style (Rally Test?) [Video] BenArmstrong Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum 81 04-10-2014 01:39 AM
Akio Toyoda Drives the 86 Rally Style (Dirt and Snow) nate89 Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 3 02-10-2012 12:22 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.