follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-30-2019, 04:15 PM   #43
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,301 Times in 993 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ac View Post
Back to really simple. Had a friend that my "good" reader would not work, but the cheep one would. It seems that the connecter in the car is not great. I used an extender cord with the good reader and all worked well.

Just a thought.
This
Old 10-30-2019, 04:15 PM   #44
Opie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Gti View Post
Not that is helpful due to the problems you currently have, but every Subaru will have a code for the AC Sunload sensor if you scan it inside a building. This is not a problem. If you put the car outside and scan it the code won’t be there. Do not try to “fix” this code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is true.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:25 PM   #45
Opie

Garage
So to help with the Sunload sensor...has the dash ever been out of the car, say for replacement or some sort of repair? If so it is very possible the sunload sensor was unplugged and never plugged back in. That is where I would start first.

To help with the key reprogramming...I have yet to find a locksmith that can program a new key to work with the immobilizer, they can only program the lock/unlock features to the fob. That can only be done with the Subaru Select Monitor-SSM (Dealer scan tool). The Techstream WILL NOT program keys on BRZ's and the Subaru Select Monitor (SSM) WILL NOT program keys on a FR-S/86.

Techstream can be used to pull codes, read some data, etc on the BRZ, but isn't as thorough as what the SSM can do. I use the ECUtek reader more often than the Techstream...and then the SSM for everything else.

If a Subaru dealer is using the SSM and telling you they cannot access the ECU it is likely 1 of 2 things:
1: The ECUtek flash is disrupting the connection
2: The OBD2 port in the car is flakey (easy fix is to use a cheap OBD2 extension cable between the device and the OBD2 port. I bought a cheap one from Amazon to "fix" this issue on my BRZ.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:43 PM   #46
morswestford

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yes my dash was opened a few years ago I put some carbon fiber in. But this sunload sensor only showed up a few months ago so I don't think this is the case.

Anyways I've been in contact with Mike at Xero-Limit who did my tune. He thinks my Ecutek dongle is faulty.

When I connect my ecutek dongle to the OBD2 port it shows as green. When i connect to my labtop and the license usb they both show as connected. I updated the ecutek software and drivers. But the 'detect' vehicle option is grayed out. I went to choose Subaru BRZ manually, and i get an error "No CAN Vehicle Interface was found".

I tried different usb ports, and a different labtop. Same error.

So at this point i think it's the ecutek dongle or a faulty OBD2 port, or both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie View Post
So to help with the Sunload sensor...has the dash ever been out of the car, say for replacement or some sort of repair? If so it is very possible the sunload sensor was unplugged and never plugged back in. That is where I would start first.

To help with the key reprogramming...I have yet to find a locksmith that can program a new key to work with the immobilizer, they can only program the lock/unlock features to the fob. That can only be done with the Subaru Select Monitor-SSM (Dealer scan tool). The Techstream WILL NOT program keys on BRZ's and the Subaru Select Monitor (SSM) WILL NOT program keys on a FR-S/86.

Techstream can be used to pull codes, read some data, etc on the BRZ, but isn't as thorough as what the SSM can do. I use the ECUtek reader more often than the Techstream...and then the SSM for everything else.

If a Subaru dealer is using the SSM and telling you they cannot access the ECU it is likely 1 of 2 things:
1: The ECUtek flash is disrupting the connection
2: The OBD2 port in the car is flakey (easy fix is to use a cheap OBD2 extension cable between the device and the OBD2 port. I bought a cheap one from Amazon to "fix" this issue on my BRZ.
morswestford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to morswestford For This Useful Post:
Opie (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 10:03 PM   #47
Opie

Garage
I would still check to be sure the sunload sensor is plugged in all the way. There isn't a whole lot to go wrong with one, it's either faulty or not plugged in...or something is interrupting the signal to the ECM.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:56 PM   #48
morswestford

The Subaru dealership was finally able to fix my keyfob (program it) and clear the check engine code. They had to replace the ECM to do it.

Once I flash the car's tune with my Ecutek tuke, my keyfob will still be programmed to the vehicle, however if I ever need anything else from Subaru in the future. They will never be able to read the vehicle.

The lead tech at the dealership said Ecutek is blocking their scan software (and i assume all Subaru dealerships are using) called Select Monitor 3.

Tech suggested I use a different software. He recommended Cobb which doesn't block their scan tools but I don't believe there are any ones specifically for the BRZ, I've only seen Ecutek.

So now I will go back to the dealership next week, flash my car back to my Ecutek tune (once I get an updated license because I now have a new ECM) to get things back to normal. But if I ever need a keyfob again, I will have to spend another $1k on parts and labor for them to do that. Also i can only check CEL codes through Ecuteks tool and never the dealerships since they are not able to read the car once I flash it.

Isn't that unbelievable?

P.S. OBD2 port was just fine as they obviously were able to read the vehicle just fine once they installed new ECM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie View Post
I would still check to be sure the sunload sensor is plugged in all the way. There isn't a whole lot to go wrong with one, it's either faulty or not plugged in...or something is interrupting the signal to the ECM.
The Following User Says Thank You to morswestford For This Useful Post:
Lantanafrs2 (12-07-2019)
Old 12-07-2019, 12:11 AM   #49
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The joys of owning a modded car
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-10-2019)
Old 12-07-2019, 06:28 PM   #50
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
My dealer had no trouble reading after Ecutek tune. ???
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:27 AM   #51
morswestford

weird, one would assume all subaru dealerships use the same scanning tool but maybe thats not the case

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ac View Post
My dealer had no trouble reading after Ecutek tune. ???
Old 06-02-2022, 10:56 AM   #52
STIG in Nevada

Drives: 2013 FRS pearl White
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I believe there is something faulty in the ECM/ECU's in theses cars. Mine (totally stock) has been throwing codes and CEL light for a couple months (it pops up along with the traction control light), usually it says it is an injector issue, or that the system can't communicate with the CANBus.

I've had it to a private Subie shop several times and after checking all the connections, the tech can't find the issue anywhere. His reader says teh same thing. We thought it might be varying voltages from teh alternator, or a bad battery. I replaced the battery and the Alt checked out ok.

Then suddenly the CEL went off. Drove a couple months, and it came back. Went out on its own, then came back.

My guess is the ECM/ECU is faulty, but it is a pricey fix.
STIG in Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, ecu