follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-25-2020, 03:01 PM   #1
MCTeeJ

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Clunking Sound from Steering Related Parts

Hey all,

Just trying to get some ideas together on what this might be. Basically if i pull into or out of a place with uneven pavement (IE driveway, uneven parking space, etc.) I get a loud clunk from what sounds like the passenger front of the car.

I've had the infamous end link clunk before years ago, but I checked my endlinks and everything is tight with 0 play.

I've heard of a few people having bad steering racks and getting dealer replacements but I'm just trying to get ideas as to what this might be. At first I thought maybe inner tie rods, but the car drives perfectly fine aside from the noise.

Only other thing of note: If the car is turned off and I turn lock to lock (to listen for the noise) I get a loud audible *click* from somewhere inside the inner tie rod dust boot about 3/4 of the way through the whole rotation.

Car has 92,000 miles and is lowered. I'm fine with replacing wear items, and I'm going to take it to the mechanic eventually. I'd just like to see what the forum has to say or if this has happened to others. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:46 PM   #2
Stomachbuzz

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Mine has bad top hats in the struts.

Basically, same deal - when going over rough bumps, it knocks around. When going over smooth contours, it's perfectly silent.

Also, mine knock about under hard braking.

I took it to a shop for diagnosis, and he couldn't confirm 100% that it was the top hats, but said he is confident it is coming from the top of the struts, but he can't confirm it due to not being able to visually see it when the part is still on the car.

Good enough for me.
Stomachbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 04:40 PM   #3
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
There's a knock in the steering column, it's a pretty involved thing if I remember right. We had a thread about it a while back and there were some drawings and such that explained it. My search-fu sux so I'm not going to try and find it for you