follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 09-21-2018, 11:16 AM   #1
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Every Instructors Nightmare

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7iUKaPlBl8[/ame]
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to TommyW For This Useful Post:
86_IT (09-22-2018), arkanist (09-21-2018), bcj (09-21-2018), BigTuna (09-21-2018), Crashdummy (09-21-2018), FirstWinter (09-21-2018), Joesurf79 (09-21-2018), Kenny_LongWrench (10-12-2018), mkodama (09-22-2018), Takumi788 (11-18-2018), Tristor (09-21-2018), wparsons (09-28-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 03:05 PM   #2
FirstWinter

Drives: Car
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Old but still frighteningly funny every time I watch it. Some things just never change.
FirstWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FirstWinter For This Useful Post:
Leonardo (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 12:27 PM   #3
86_IT

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Never seen that before! Amazing!
Old 09-24-2018, 04:35 PM   #4
GrandSport

Drives: 13 Viper; 14 BRZ; 90 Miata; 18 AMG
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
When I was instructing a few years back
Me: "Let the (brand new) viper go ahead of you
Student: Why, it's only lead follow
me: I guarantee you he hasn't tracked before, at least not enough to handle that car. You don't want him near you (we're in a 911 Turbo S)
Student: what makes you say that?
me: Because no one who actually tracks regularly would ever buy a new viper.

15 minutes later, he's being lectured for nearly crashing into the car in front of him on 50% pace lead follow because he kept coming flying out out of turns and showing the car in front of him tire :facepalm: Missed him by about 2ft.
GrandSport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GrandSport For This Useful Post:
Bonburner (09-28-2018), chaoskaze (09-29-2018), Frost (09-28-2018), TorontoNat (11-19-2018), Tristor (09-28-2018), wparsons (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 04:59 PM   #5
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSport View Post
When I was instructing a few years back
Me: "Let the (brand new) viper go ahead of you
Student: Why, it's only lead follow
me: I guarantee you he hasn't tracked before, at least not enough to handle that car. You don't want him near you (we're in a 911 Turbo S)
Student: what makes you say that?
me: Because no one who actually tracks regularly would ever buy a new viper.

15 minutes later, he's being lectured for nearly crashing into the car in front of him on 50% pace lead follow because he kept coming flying out out of turns and showing the car in front of him tire :facepalm: Missed him by about 2ft.
Sounds right.

This is also why I've avoided lapping evenings because there are usually too many people and higher chance of encountering someone who will be new and arrogant enough to believe that their xxx expensive car can't possibly be caught by my S2000. I don't want to push anyone but if you don't you're not getting a point by yet if you do they might push beyond their ability and I'd feel terrible for them getting into a crash.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frost For This Useful Post:
Tristor (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 05:20 PM   #6
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
Frankly I think every instructor's nightmare is getting killed by a terrible student putting them into a wall.

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Locust For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (09-28-2018), femaledog (09-30-2018), Frost (09-28-2018), Icecreamtruk (09-29-2018), juliog (10-01-2018), Tristor (09-28-2018), wparsons (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 06:58 PM   #7
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
Frankly I think every instructor's nightmare is getting killed by a terrible student putting them into a wall.
I mean, doesn't that come down to acceptable risk for the instructor? Obviously you don't want it to happen at all.

But if you're going to be an instructor for new track drivers, especially on a course that is especially challenging for a beginner (think Laguna Seca or Sonoma with walls and shit), then you're probably at least prepared for that possibility.

And I would think that an instructor would know how to ease a beginner in (I guess it depends on which HPDE group, Hooked on Driving did okay by me).
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
86_IT (09-28-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 12:10 AM   #8
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
I mean, doesn't that come down to acceptable risk for the instructor? Obviously you don't want it to happen at all.

But if you're going to be an instructor for new track drivers, especially on a course that is especially challenging for a beginner (think Laguna Seca or Sonoma with walls and shit), then you're probably at least prepared for that possibility.

And I would think that an instructor would know how to ease a beginner in (I guess it depends on which HPDE group, Hooked on Driving did okay by me).
The nightmare is getting this student, not picking up on it soon enough, getting in the car and having a close call or worse.

Every 'certified' instructor needs to have the cajones to shut down a student and get themselves safely out of the car when things get out of hand.

And a tolerance for motion sickness... Which is one of the few reasons I'll probably never be an hpde instructor.

On a lighter note, the autox copycats are funny too.

strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
TommyW (09-29-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 08:39 AM   #9
atomicalex

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited Perf Pack
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm returning to "serious" track after about 7 years of only stupid lap days.

I actually had that student once. It was a guy in an Audi A3 S-Line. I had seen him on the freeway on the way to the track and even my sons (like 7YO at the time) noticed that he was a shit driver and commented that watch out mom, you are going to see him at the track. God I hope not.

Yeah. After three sessions, I gave up and handed him off to our chief instructor, who after one session banned him from our track club and suggested to the track management that the guy be banned from the track. I quit doing incar after that and now only lead classroom.

This post brings up so many memories.....
Old 11-18-2018, 01:33 PM   #10
GrandSport

I have new one:
First, I need to explain the student.
My friend who is beyond "space cadet" level out there. He's definitely somewhere on the autism spectrum, for sure (and not the first half) but he genuinely has absolutely zero concept of public perception nor does he care. Not in the sense of "I don't care what people think because I do what I like" but it literally has no meaning to him. He's just out there and has zero common sense. He'll park his car across the pit lanes without realizing he's blocking traffic. He wore those toe-sock shoes to the track day (and virtually everywhere). He's just not a disciplined person who has ever cared about anything for more than an hour or paid attention to any detail ever- basically someone that should never ever be on a track.

He's also able to do whatever he wants without consequence because he's stupid rich. Literally, both sides of the family are multi-billionaires. So his uncle has a membership to a local track we're going to, makes some phone calls and somehow gets him on the track, because well, that's the cool kind of shit you can do when you're rich.

He did some kid's driving school 20 years ago. That's his driving experience. He's out there in a Z51 stingray (vert, auto). The track freaks out about sending him out alone and they get him an instructor.

I politely suggest that he get his brake fluid flushed since had over an hour until the track was hot and traction control can really heat up the brakes.
"Traction control? I'm not leaving that on.."
"Dude, trust me. Keep some driving aids on."
"No way man, I'm not a traction control kind of guy."

Instructor said that he was one of the worst drivers he's ever coached in 20 years and he was so erratic that he made himself sick and vomit.

2018 GLE 63 AMG: +800hp whistling AWD TT V8 grocery getter
2016 GX460: IDK. Too reliable to sell. Too boring to use.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:43 PM   #11
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I have new one:
My friend who is beyond "space cadet" level out there. He's definitely somewhere on the autism spectrum, for sure (and not the first half) but he genuinely has absolutely zero concept of public perception nor does he care. Not in the sense of "I don't care what people think because I do what I like" but it literally has no meaning to him. He's just out there and has zero common sense. He'll park his car across the pit lanes without realizing he's blocking traffic. He wore those toe-sock shoes to the track day (and virtually everywhere). He's just not a disciplined person who has ever cared about anything for more than an hour or paid attention to any detail ever- basically someone that should never ever be on a track.

He's also able to do whatever he wants without consequence because he's stupid rich. Literally, both sides of the family are multi-billionaires. So his uncle has a membership to a local track we're going to, makes some phone calls and somehow gets him on the track, because well, that's the cool kind of shit you can do when you're rich.

He did some kid's driving school 20 years ago. That's his driving experience. He's out there in a Z51 stingray (vert, auto). The track freaks out about sending him out alone and they get him an instructor.

I politely suggest that he get his brake fluid flushed since had over an hour until the track was hot and traction control can really heat up the brakes.

Instructor said that he was one of the worst drivers he's ever coached in 20 years and he was so erratic that he made himself sick and vomit.

After he shot down advice I would just let him make a fool of himself.
Record him on video, let it go viral, get rich off his dumbass mistakes.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:52 PM   #12
GrandSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTom View Post
After he shot down advice I would just let him make a fool of himself.
Record him on video, let it go viral, get rich off his dumbass mistakes.
I don't think he stayed on track very long during a session. In 90 min on track I never once saw him- and I am certain I was at least 7-10 sec a lap faster running 85 second laps.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:34 AM   #13
amcp1

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I have new one:

So many things wrong with this its staggering. Instructor should set the tone while on track with new students not the other way around.
amcp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:00 PM   #14
GrandSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcp1 View Post
So many things wrong with this its staggering. Instructor should set the tone while on track with new students not the other way around.
You'd be surprised what you can get away with when you can buy the entire race track, set it on fire and barely have it make a dent in your annual financial statement. They live in a different world than you and I.