follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #71
AznKirby
Are you 20/20?

Drives: Hopes and dreams
Thanked 1,310 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ugh. Scammers should have their hands cut off.

IG: @MonKehC
AznKirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #72
R.S-HawK
Banned

Drives: '13 Gen Coupe 3.8 R
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnitionGundam View Post
So because I sent it as a gift like a total idiot, it isn't covered under paypal's buyer protection. So lesson learned and warning to everyone out there not to do that! But at least they offered some good advice which I will eventually pursue through the IC3. Here's the official email from them.

Thank you for contacting PayPal.
Personal payments are not intended for the purchase of goods or services from sellers and therefore cannot be disputed.

An example of a personal payment would be sending money to a family member or splitting a bill with friends at a restaurant after one person has paid.

PayPal Buyer Protection only applies to PayPal payments for certain tangible, physical goods that can be shipped. We are unable to grant you a refund because your payment was for one of the following items:

Intangible items, including Digital Goods
Services
Real estate, including residential property
Businesses
Vehicles, including motor vehicles, motorcycles, caravans, aircraft and boats
Deposits made for vehicles or other items
Custom made items
Travel tickets, including airline flight tickets
Items prohibited by the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy
Items which you collect in person, or arrange to be collected on your behalf
Items that violate eBay’s Prohibited or Restricted Items Policy
Industrial machinery used in manufacturing
Items equivalent to cash, including prepaid or gift cards
PayPal Direct Payments
Virtual Terminal Payments
Personal Payments
Splitting a payment into multiple payments to pay for one item
You may also try to recover your funds outside of PayPal using other methods.

For example, you may want to consider filing a report with your local police department or filing a complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3).

IC3 is a partnership between the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Bureau of Justice Assistance and the National White Collar Crime Center. They review and evaluate complaints and refer the information to the appropriate local, state, or federal agency.
Do yourself a favor and contact the FBI.

PayPal will be forced to comply with their requests for information regarding the identity of the thief.
R.S-HawK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:35 PM   #73
MeFryRice

Drives: '13 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
@FRS-Chief needs to be be banned if he hasn't already. Speaking of this low-life, it shows he was on here 12/13/13 @ 4:44pm.
MeFryRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #74
frs10

Drives: tezla
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
actually no, when using the gift option you do have a way out of it. call up your bank or credit card company and report the charge as a fraud. the charge will be reversed and you will get your money back.
frs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #75
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal909 View Post
Yes as I said before, the only way to get your money back is to call your cc company and tell them you got hacked. I have never had to do that, I learned that there are many scammers online by selling various items in forums for online video games.

Which is also why I always make the other person go first. But hard to do with a tangible item like an exhaust.
And how is this sound advice? Commit fraud to get rid of fraud?

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
DC2R (03-25-2014), Marchy (12-16-2013), trekkie (12-17-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #76
Akari

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Contact your CC company and let them know what happened exactly. They're on your side and can quite easily pull the money back from Paypal(who will in turn take it back from this person).

Don't dig yourself into a deeper hole or overcomplicate things.
Akari is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Akari For This Useful Post:
Marchy (12-16-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #77
dnieves

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznKirby View Post
Ugh. Scammers should have their hands cut off.
Just their hands?....... That's a very low life thing to do.
dnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #78
kALMIGHTY
Banned

Drives: TRD Ultramarine '13
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Exactly as others have said, contact your credit card company and tell them about the fraud. Don't lie to them by saying you got "hacked" because they'll be less inclined to help you.
Tell them exactly what happened and they'll do everything in their power to get you your money back.
Do this before contacting any other authorities like FBI or IC3.
Once you get your money back, then you can choose to take legal action against @FRS-Chief by reporting him to the IC3 so they can make sure he doesn't do it again.
kALMIGHTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #79
SoCal909

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
And how is this sound advice? Commit fraud to get rid of fraud?

-alex
I'm only saying I am not surprised at their response because I had already said what his only option is. I'm sure his bank has never committed any fraud as well, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kALMIGHTY View Post
Exactly as others have said, contact your credit card company and tell them about the fraud. Don't lie to them by saying you got "hacked" because they'll be less inclined to help you.
Tell them exactly what happened and they'll do everything in their power to get you your money back.
Do this before contacting any other authorities like FBI or IC3.
Once you get your money back, then you can choose to take legal action against @FRS-Chief by reporting him to the IC3 so they can make sure he doesn't do it again.
No one is going to give him shit if he tells them what he's done. I'm telling you this. There was no thievery whatsoever because it was sent as a GIFT and not as a purchase.

Trust me, throughout my teen years I dealt with selling various accounts/items for online video games (mainly WoW) and people tried all sorts of shit on me, and after the first time you get fucked over, you don't let it happen again.

I'm merely telling the OP his 2 options, one of them is illegal. The other one is: tough luck your money is gone.
SoCal909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #80
Bach415

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Okay guys. I find all the quotes about how you cant receive a refund because it was sent as a gift is bs. I have had people who've gifted me money over PayPal for stuff and was able to get a refund from it even though I have not approve of it. The way they did it was through their credit card or personal bank. Once the refund happens through them, PayPal can't do anything about it. Another time that happened was through the dispute. It was sent as a gift.

Long story short, dispute it with your bank/credit card company. You have a better chance of getting a refund through them than PayPal. @IgnitionGundam

Edit: Also try contacting them through the phone. They are more easy to talk to over the phone.
Bach415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:15 AM   #81
SoCal909

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach415 View Post
Okay guys. I find all the quotes about how you cant receive a refund because it was sent as a gift is bs. I have had people who've gifted me money over PayPal for stuff and was able to get a refund from it even though I have not approve of it. The way they did it was through their credit card or personal bank. Once the refund happens through them, PayPal can't do anything about it. Another time that happened was through the dispute. It was sent as a gift.

Long story short, dispute it with your bank/credit card company. You have a better chance of getting a refund through them than PayPal. @IgnitionGundam

Edit: Also try contacting them through the phone. They are more easy to talk to over the phone.
Yes if you read my posts you CAN get your money back if you lie to your bank and tell them you got hacked or had your info stolen etc. That's all I was trying to say. I never said to go commit fraud either.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
SoCal909 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SoCal909 For This Useful Post:
Bach415 (12-17-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #82
(fr-s)

Drives: 2013 fr-s 6sp
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
OP sorry to hear of your troubles.

Just dispute with your credit card company for goods/services paid for but not rendered. Tell them the seller instructed you to paypal exactly as you did. This is transaction there is some communication and proof of sale(his previous emails). You can get your money back.

Ps: The dude who keeps pushing the damn "ohh just tell the bank your Facebook account got hacked" story or whatever. Just stop....
(fr-s) is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to (fr-s) For This Useful Post:
Rio (12-17-2013), ultra (12-17-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #83
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I'm merely telling the OP his 2 options, one of them is illegal. The other one is: tough luck your money is gone.
Quote:
Yes if you read my posts you CAN get your money back if you lie to your bank and tell them you got hacked or had your info stolen etc.
Quote:
That's all I was trying to say. I never said to go commit fraud either.

Seems legit. Listen to this guy.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
VesperLynn (12-19-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #84
ultra
Curious cat.

Drives: 86 GT base M/T - Red
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by (fr-s) View Post
OP sorry to hear of your troubles.

Just dispute with your credit card company for goods/services paid for but not rendered. Tell them the seller instructed you to paypal exactly as you did. This is transaction there is some communication and proof of sale(his previous emails). You can get your money back.

Ps: The dude who keeps pushing the damn "ohh just tell the bank your Facebook account got hacked" story or whatever. Just stop....
^ I work in eCommerce and this guy is spot on. You do not need to (and should not ever) lie to your bank or card issuer. They have processes in place to handle payment disputes such as this and should be able to initiate a chargeback on your behalf after you explain the situation.
2007 Mitsubishi Evo 9 RS (sold)
2006 VW Golf R32 (sold)
ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ultra For This Useful Post:
mav1178 (12-17-2013), Rio (12-17-2013)