follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-04-2014, 06:05 PM   #1
puhrmach

Drives: --------
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Should I buy 2014 FR-S?

Hi all,

My name is Paul and I am from Denver, Colorado. I am fairly new to this forum (this is my first post) so I am excited to get to know some of you. Well we had a hail storm in Denver not too long ago, and my 2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse was totaled. Now that I am in the market looking for a new car, I've started to really consider the FR-S.

I was wondering what your guys opinions are on this car for a daily driver that I would hopefully keep for 8+ years. Keep in mind we get quite a bit of snow during the winter months in Denver, so I am a little worried how this car will do considering it is Rear Wheel Drive. My Eclipse was front.

I can't wait to hear what you guys think and let me know any thoughts you guys have!

Paul
puhrmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:52 PM   #2
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Drives: 2014 Honda CBR600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm sure you could make it work with the right set of tires for the adverse weather conditions you face. Since you're loyal and keep your cars 8+ years, I'd recommend taking your time and opening up to all other makes and models. Check out the new '15 WRX as well... It seems to be much more versatile and probably could better handle what you encounter in Denver.

I'd only consider the FR-S if you're truly wanting a sports car and for its characteristics... Because that's exactly what it is. Also, keep in mind that I've read and heard that the FR-S / BRZ aren't as demanded in your area because of the weather.

Good luck, Paul.

* Edited *

Texas BRZ
Texas BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas BRZ For This Useful Post:
puhrmach (11-05-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 06:57 PM   #3
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas BRZ View Post
I'm sure you could make it work with the right set of tires for the adverse weather conditions you face.

Since you're loyal and keep your cars 8+ years, I'd recommend you opening up to all other makes and models.

Check out the new '15 WRX as well... It seems to be much more versatile and probably could better handle what you encounter in Denver.

I'd only consider the FR-S if you're truly wanting a sports car and for its characteristics... Because that's exactly what it is.

GL.
Have not drove mine in snow yet but plan to do a Canadian winter. There are loads of winter driving threads here with the majority saying they are fine with the right tires.
I spend a minimum of 14 hours a week in my DD and have never had a regret!
Just keep in mind they are a drivers car not a luxury barge so there is some give and take for "conveniences "and gadgets.
Go for a test drive and you should know if right or wrong for you pretty quick.
puhrmach (11-05-2014), Texas BRZ (11-04-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 07:05 PM   #4
Manic
Is not fast.

Drives: 2014 Whiteout M/T
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Yeh.

/thread
Manic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manic For This Useful Post:
puhrmach (11-05-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 07:13 PM   #5
HyperTech

Drives: Mazda3 2013 / Scion FR-S 2015
oh yeah baby!
HyperTech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HyperTech For This Useful Post:
puhrmach (11-05-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 07:15 PM   #6
PStaff716

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by puhrmach View Post
Hi all,

My name is Paul and I am from Denver, Colorado. I am fairly new to this forum (this is my first post) so I am excited to get to know some of you. Well we had a hail storm in Denver not too long ago, and my 2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse was totaled. Now that I am in the market looking for a new car, I've started to really consider the FR-S.

I was wondering what your guys opinions are on this car for a daily driver that I would hopefully keep for 8+ years. Keep in mind we get quite a bit of snow during the winter months in Denver, so I am a little worried how this car will do considering it is Rear Wheel Drive. My Eclipse was front.

I can't wait to hear what you guys think and let me know any thoughts you guys have!

Paul

hey man, I am moving to Denver in about a week. My car will arrive around the 26th/27th of November. If you're still in the market for the car we can cruise around and you can drive/see if you like it.

Also, my youtube channel in the signature has a video where I do a pro's and con's from an average owner. I will have a video this Friday on my thoughts about the car as a daily driver for the winter.

Cliffs note version: At this time, with the new wrx having a boosted fa20 motor, I personally would get a new rex. Couple that with awd and you have a solid reason to choose it. I love my frs though, it's just my personal opinion now that the new wrx presents a "value" that some have to consider when looking at the two cars.

Cheers.
https://www.youtube.com/user/pstaff716
PStaff716 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PStaff716 For This Useful Post:
puhrmach (11-05-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 07:17 PM   #7
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
If hail is a concern, you'd better have a garage. These cars crumple at the thought of it.

Keep your winter driving expectations reasonable. You'll be driving a lightweight RWD car with low ground clearance. Get real winter tires, maybe throw a bag of concrete in the back to put some weight down, and take things easy. It's not a Score trophy truck. And have a winter emergency kit in your trunk in case you do get stuck somewhere.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
puhrmach (11-05-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 07:44 PM   #8
puhrmach

Thanks for the help guys, I would thank all of you but I need at least 5 posts...I will come back and do it though!
The Following User Says Thank You to puhrmach For This Useful Post:
Texas BRZ (11-05-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 07:48 PM   #9
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
If hail is a concern, you'd better have a garage. These cars crumple at the thought of it.

Keep your winter driving expectations reasonable. You'll be driving a lightweight RWD car with low ground clearance. Get real winter tires, maybe throw a bag of concrete in the back to put some weight down, and take things easy. It's not a Score trophy truck. And have a winter emergency kit in your trunk in case you do get stuck somewhere.
Mine survived two nasty hail storms without a mark with just the protection of a tree!
My neighbours thought I had lost my mind out in a storm, with a towel, wiping the rain off, looking for dings.
Only had had it a week!
puhrmach (11-05-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 07:52 PM   #10
puhrmach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas BRZ View Post
I'm sure you could make it work with the right set of tires for the adverse weather conditions you face. Since you're loyal and keep your cars 8+ years, I'd recommend taking your time and opening up to all other makes and models. Check out the new '15 WRX as well... It seems to be much more versatile and probably could better handle what you encounter in Denver.

I'd only consider the FR-S if you're truly wanting a sports car and for its characteristics... Because that's exactly what it is. Also, keep in mind that I've read and heard that the FR-S / BRZ aren't as demanded in your area because of the weather.

Good luck, Paul.

* Edited *

That's good to know. I've looked into the WRX a little bit but that is pushing my price range just a bit. It's a sweet car though.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:53 PM   #11
puhrmach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Have not drove mine in snow yet but plan to do a Canadian winter. There are loads of winter driving threads here with the majority saying they are fine with the right tires.
I spend a minimum of 14 hours a week in my DD and have never had a regret!
Just keep in mind they are a drivers car not a luxury barge so there is some give and take for "conveniences "and gadgets.
Go for a test drive and you should know if right or wrong for you pretty quick.
And that's why I love the car. It is certainly a fun car but it may just bee too impractical for the winter..
Old 11-04-2014, 07:55 PM   #12
puhrmach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PStaff716 View Post
hey man, I am moving to Denver in about a week. My car will arrive around the 26th/27th of November. If you're still in the market for the car we can cruise around and you can drive/see if you like it.

Also, my youtube channel in the signature has a video where I do a pro's and con's from an average owner. I will have a video this Friday on my thoughts about the car as a daily driver for the winter.

Cliffs note version: At this time, with the new wrx having a boosted fa20 motor, I personally would get a new rex. Couple that with awd and you have a solid reason to choose it. I love my frs though, it's just my personal opinion now that the new wrx presents a "value" that some have to consider when looking at the two cars.

Cheers.
I will definitely look into the videos! Also I hope to have a car by then but if not I really appreciate the offer. You will love it in Denver. It's a great city! Let me know if you have any questions about your transition!
The Following User Says Thank You to puhrmach For This Useful Post:
PStaff716 (11-04-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 08:06 PM   #13
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Drives: 2014 Honda CBR600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by puhrmach View Post
That's good to know. I've looked into the WRX a little bit but that is pushing my price range just a bit. It's a sweet car though.
@HeubergerMotors. They are a dealer in close proximity to you and are a forum sponsor as well. They supposedly have very good prices for forum members. Let them know your price / budget restraints, and I'm sure they'll do everything in their power to assist you.

Texas BRZ
Texas BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texas BRZ For This Useful Post:
HeubergerMotors (11-10-2014), puhrmach (11-05-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 09:06 PM   #14
Tcoat

Don't listen to those jokers from Vegas and Texas about driving these in the snow! (JK)
Take the info you need from the true experts in Canada.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75306

Post 5 on that thread gives you about 8 more threads on the subject.
If you drove an Eclipse in the snow you will be just fine with a FRS once you get the hang of RWD. Driving RWD is not the horrid experience some will have you think it is. Keep in mind your grandmother and possibly great grandmother likely drove RWD in the snow all their lives (presuming they drove at all) without any of the electronic controls we have now.
puhrmach (11-05-2014)