follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 07-08-2019, 02:08 PM   #3137
Chris3007

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
With all this talk about failing bypass valves I decided to check mine. What I found was... it was never connected . It never has been connected since I installed it ~10 months and 2k miles ago. I bought it 2nd hand and the hose was not with the kit. It's also not called out anywhere in the manual. When I started the car, I heard the vacuum leak coming from the vacuum line on the manifold. After scrubbing the install instructions, I decided it must have been from the previous owner for a boost gauge and I plugged it.

I have since installed the hose, and confirmed the bypass valve was functioning. Driving the car however I notice little to no difference. I re-captured my data logs and sent them back to Delicious to do a sanity check; I will follow up with any significant findings.

My thought was for those who have been having recurring bypass valve issues, as a work-around, just cap the port. I'm not sure if this is detrimental to anything long term, I'm just basing this off the fact I drove a year w/o it.
Attached Images

Chris3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:56 PM   #3138
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
You have been driving around with the supercharger pressurizing the intake even when you are under light throttle. What kind of gas mileage do you get? I would expect it to be pretty terrible in that state.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:06 AM   #3139
marco1ca

Drives: Toyota Celica
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi, thanks for this thread. First post in years as I am finally getting back into my 2013 BRZ.

I have just ordered the Edelbrock e-force. My mechanic has installed one on a Miata and said it took him a few days, and therefore wanted to charge $3000. I explained to him everyone and there mother says it takes 7-8 hours. I trust him that he will get it done in that time, that it was more difficult on the Miata. (I hope) I live in Monterey so options are limited here.

Also, I don't know shit about tunes and what's CA carb legal. I want a nice sounding exhaust to pair with this SC. I was thinking the Magflow. Will this effect the tune that is provided with this SC? All I ask, more speed, nice sound, and I"m done : ) Thanks again, and sorry for the rookie questions.
marco1ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:18 AM   #3140
madpir8

Drives: Manual 86 GTS
Toyota 86 GTS

This is a Dyno Dynamics tune done with my new E-force.
I know this particular dyno reads lower than Dynojet etc.
Does it compare on par with other tunes here?

I wouldn't have a clue how it looks as I have no experience.
I know I got about a 60kw at wheels extra and about 100nm of torque extra.

How does the graph look to you?
The first two days I got the car back it felt like a bullet.
Now after a week I can still feel the extra power but it doesn't feel as quick low down below 4k rpm as it first did.

Maybe I'm just used to it by now I just thought it should be more of a punch in your gut.

I still love it and the car runs exceptionally well.
I'm sure I'm just hungry for more power perhaps

Other mods done:
Tomei UEL headers
Perrin 2.5 catback
Exedy Button Clutch
1050 Injectors
DW fuel pump
NGK Sparkplugs
18 by 9.5 in wheels running 265/35 Michelin PSS
MCA Coilovers
Attached Images

madpir8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:34 AM   #3141
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpir8 View Post
Toyota 86 GTS

This is a Dyno Dynamics tune done with my new E-force.
I know this particular dyno reads lower than Dynojet etc.
Does it compare on par with other tunes here?

I wouldn't have a clue how it looks as I have no experience.
I know I got about a 60kw at wheels extra and about 100nm of torque extra.

How does the graph look to you?
The first two days I got the car back it felt like a bullet.
Now after a week I can still feel the extra power but it doesn't feel as quick low down below 4k rpm as it first did.

Maybe I'm just used to it by now I just thought it should be more of a punch in your gut.

I still love it and the car runs exceptionally well.
I'm sure I'm just hungry for more power perhaps

Other mods done:
Tomei UEL headers
Perrin 2.5 catback
Exedy Button Clutch
1050 Injectors
DW fuel pump
NGK Sparkplugs
18 by 9.5 in wheels running 265/35 Michelin PSS
MCA Coilovers
Your baseline was typical to mine.

My thoughts:

Get rid of the UEL header and get a good 4:2:1 header (or decat the OEM header)

Get a 2.5" overpipe (my Ultrex cost $100) and decat the front pipe
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:47 AM   #3142
madpir8

Drives: Manual 86 GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
Your baseline was typical to mine.

My thoughts:

Get rid of the UEL header and get a good 4:2:1 header (or decat the OEM header)

Get a 2.5" overpipe (my Ultrex cost $100) and decat the front pipe
Thanks for the quick reply. Appreciate the input.

I really love the boxer rumble hence the UEL headers. I know I might have sacrificed a few HP for that.

The car is ferociously loud with the current exhaust. I'm sure decatting it and/or adding front/overpipes would just attract the cops.

Really don't want to get pulled over and slapped with a defect notice.
madpir8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:26 AM   #3143
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpir8 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. Appreciate the input.

I really love the boxer rumble hence the UEL headers. I know I might have sacrificed a few HP for that.

The car is ferociously loud with the current exhaust. I'm sure decatting it and/or adding front/overpipes would just attract the cops.

Really don't want to get pulled over and slapped with a defect notice.
It's the UEL header causing the noise

My UEL header lasted a week before I put the OEM decated header back on, I didn't see the point of having the extra noise the UEL header made for no additional performance over a decated OEM header.

A EL header with a full decat exhaust will be similar to your current set up

Try and find a used OEM header and front pipe, punch out the cats, and throw a 2.5" overpipe into the mix and see the difference in sound, if you like the sound, tune it up for some decent gains without the extra noise.

My current full decat system sits at around 90 db at 7k rpm IIRC, it was over 100 db with the UEL header, and cold start was obnoxiously loud.

Hell, even just a OEM header and front pipe decated, for the cost of some gaskets you can test for sound levels, the additional power will come with a tickle on the tune.

Opinions may vary

Last edited by 86MLR; 07-09-2019 at 08:50 AM.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:57 AM   #3144
Chris3007

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
You have been driving around with the supercharger pressurizing the intake even when you are under light throttle. What kind of gas mileage do you get? I would expect it to be pretty terrible in that state.
Yes, gas mileage has been pretty abysmal. I see high teens around town, and low 20s on the highway (not trying to conserve by any means however.)
Chris3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:43 AM   #3145
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris3007 View Post
Yes, gas mileage has been pretty abysmal. I see high teens around town, and low 20s on the highway (not trying to conserve by any means however.)
Now that you are actually bypassing the boost when you don't need it things should get a lot better. I would reset the ECU, since all the learning it has done will be based on always seeing higher MAP than expect. Your long term fuel trims must be very high.

I usually average 26mpg over a tank of gas, with mixed city and highway driving and the occasional heavy pull just because it's fun. If I take a trip and only do highway I've seen as high as 33mpg for the tank driving 70-75.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to toast For This Useful Post:
Chris3007 (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 04:18 PM   #3146
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco1ca View Post
Hi, thanks for this thread. First post in years as I am finally getting back into my 2013 BRZ.

I have just ordered the Edelbrock e-force. My mechanic has installed one on a Miata and said it took him a few days, and therefore wanted to charge $3000. I explained to him everyone and there mother says it takes 7-8 hours. I trust him that he will get it done in that time, that it was more difficult on the Miata. (I hope) I live in Monterey so options are limited here.

Also, I don't know shit about tunes and what's CA carb legal. I want a nice sounding exhaust to pair with this SC. I was thinking the Magflow. Will this effect the tune that is provided with this SC? All I ask, more speed, nice sound, and I"m done : ) Thanks again, and sorry for the rookie questions.
With that kind of cost, you may be better off driving to someone more experienced with the kit, getting it installed, and driving back!

It's about a 9.5 hour install done right, professionally. It can be done faster, if rushed.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:27 PM   #3147
marco1ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
With that kind of cost, you may be better off driving to someone more experienced with the kit, getting it installed, and driving back!

It's about a 9.5 hour install done right, professionally. It can be done faster, if rushed.
Thanks, this is the type of mechanic that will only install it correctly and precise. He has installed Edelbrock before but on a Miata, he has done extensive track racing, many trophies. I will make sure I will only pay for 10 hours or less or I will take your suggestion and travel.

I plan to add a Magna-flow cat back exhaust with it. I"m hoping that's a good set up, can't find any posts with that setup.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:45 PM   #3148
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco1ca View Post
Thanks, this is the type of mechanic that will only install it correctly and precise. He has installed Edelbrock before but on a Miata, he has done extensive track racing, many trophies. I will make sure I will only pay for 10 hours or less or I will take your suggestion and travel.

I plan to add a Magna-flow cat back exhaust with it. I"m hoping that's a good set up, can't find any posts with that setup.
The miata is about as similar to a FRS as a Ferrari is. I recommend going to a more experienced installer; there are several available to you within a ~3 hour drive.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:07 PM   #3149
Mad1723

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
This kit isn't that difficult to install.

I've done it with a friend over a single day. Simply read all the instructions before, make sure you have everything you need (extra hose clamps, smaller hose for the bypass valve as the stock one is a bit too big, extra gaskets for the MAF, throttle body and intake plenum, coolant for the car radiator and supercharger and some brake fluid for the clutch bleeding).

The rest of the hardware is included and you just follow step by step.

If I managed to do it in a day with a friend (neither of us is a mechanic, but we have some base knowledge and followed every instructions thoroughly), a mechanic should have no problems doing it in a day, barring any big issue.

The hardest part was the fuel lines disconnect being a pain.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Mad1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mad1723 For This Useful Post:
Chris3007 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 08:35 PM   #3150
marco1ca

Thank you